Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

NZ Test Series - ticket sales

Just now, St Etrigan said:

I am not trying to gain any points here, I was comparing games mainly due to the fact that most people were stating that Anfield looked half empty and a poor advert for the game, I was quite surprised that the attendance was as high as it was when compared to other games against NZ, it then stood out that the only higher games attendance (except the one in Bolton that I just missed) were all in London.

It just tries to bring into perspective the size of the crowd

But its a comparison of no use because of its specificity. It takes something where there is a limited data set and narrows it down further and further until its useless.

Just now, St Etrigan said:

Bit more to it than that if you see the post above

How so? All you have done is strip out higher crowds, why?

In 2015 we got 24.7k at Wigan. It was full. We decided maybe we need extra seats to capitalise. We added about 1600 people, and that was a bit of a scramble at the end.

The numbers that you, the RFL and Mick are presenting are neither a straight numbers-based fact, or a context-filled commentary - they are cherry picked propaganda.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, St Etrigan said:

I am not trying to gain any points here, I was comparing games mainly due to the fact that most people were stating that Anfield looked half empty and a poor advert for the game, I was quite surprised that the attendance was as high as it was when compared to other games against NZ, it then stood out that the only higher games attendance (except the one in Bolton that I just missed) were all in London.

It just tries to bring into perspective the size of the crowd

Anfield *was* half empty, in fact slightly more than half full. However, that's how it is and that's that.

But trying to spin it as some sort of record is bizzare.

16 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Since 1994 the England attendances at Elland Road have been 39k, 39k, 39k, 31k, 34k, we got 26k for NZ v Australia there. Yet in 24 years we have only held 6 internationals there.

In London we have seen attendances of 42k, 67k, 44k and 35k since 2009.

Since 2009 we have played more England games in Leigh than either Leeds or London, for some reason we look at the areas we get good crowds and ignore them and go to areas we get poor crowds.

If that doesn't sum it up I don't know what else will.

More tickets released for this weekend's finale.

https://t.co/DfBF0b2Nvq

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Just now, Futtocks said:

One thing about Elland Road, we are all so crammed in it usually gives a brilliant atmosphere. Looking forward to it, hopefully the atmosphere will be celebratory and the players will respond with some relaxed attacking Rugby.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But its a comparison of no use because of its specificity. It takes something where there is a limited data set and narrows it down further and further until its useless.

It is a complete data set of all Games V NZ in the UK, the idea was to see if 26k was a poor attendance or just an attendance that looked poor because it was in a large stadium.

Turns out it was the 4th largest attendance of all of these games since 1951, this weekends will be the third largest, will it also look poor in a large stadium?

This was more about showing the people who think this series has been poorly attended who do not necessarily have all of the facts. The Hull game turns out was poorly attended in comparison to the other two and maybe what some people are basing their statements on.

Could the games have attracted larger audiences? of course they could, but its not much use people complaining about poor attendances when historically they are not shown to be poor. Have there been other extenuating circumstances for previous attendances? Quite possibly, but those attendances stand as fact and not a lot we can do about them now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, St Etrigan said:

It is a complete data set of all Games V NZ in the UK, the idea was to see if 26k was a poor attendance or just an attendance that looked poor because it was in a large stadium.

Turns out it was the 4th largest attendance of all of these games since 1951, this weekends will be the third largest, will it also look poor in a large stadium?

No it wasn't. You stripped out the higher crowds. 

I included all crowds in my previous analysis. It was the 10th highest Eng/GB game vs NZ.

5 minutes ago, St Etrigan said:

This was more about showing the people who think this series has been poorly attended who do not necessarily have all of the facts. The Hull game turns out was poorly attended in comparison to the other two and maybe what some people are basing their statements on.

Could the games have attracted larger audiences? of course they could, but its not much use people complaining about poor attendances when historically they are not shown to be poor. Have there been other extenuating circumstances for previous attendances? Quite possibly, but those attendances stand as fact and not a lot we can do about them now.

We havent played that many games against NZ so its not a large data set. It also excluded the ones not played in the heartlands so its not a complete data set.

And no it wont be poor, 30k+ in a 36k stadium will be better than 26k in a 55k stadium.

If you want to know how bad the attendance was at Anfield, it will be beaten, possibly by a decent amount, the next week in a stadium 20k smaller

Edited by scotchy1

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If you want to know how bad the attendance was at Anfield, it will be beaten, possibly by a decent amount, the next week in a stadium 20k smaller

...for a dead rubber

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No it wasn't. You stripped out the higher crowds. 

I included all crowds in my previous analysis. It was the 10th highest Eng/GB game vs NZ.

Maybe you have access to more data, I only have access to all games back to 1950, and since 1951 was larger this was comparing the crowds since then

The larger games were as below, as you can see 3 of the 4 are in London and one was a double header and a WC SF, so hardly a fair comparison

• 2013 London 67545
  • 2015 London 44393
  • 1993 London 36131
  • 1998 Bolton 27486

1 minute ago, St Etrigan said:

Maybe you have access to more data, I only have access to all games back to 1950, and since 1951 was larger this was comparing the crowds since then

The larger games were as below, as you can see 3 of the 4 are in London and one was a double header and a WC SF, so hardly a fair comparison

• 2013 London 67545
  • 2015 London 44393
  • 1993 London 36131
  • 1998 Bolton 27486

Yes, but you stripped out the three London games, and missed the other in error. Why is London not a fair - you are going out of your way to create exclusions that create a positive narrative (do you work for an insurance company by any chance :biggrin: )?

In reality it is impossible to create a pure like-for-like comparison and tbh it is unnecessary.

We had a three test series in 2015 versus the Kiwis. We chose the grounds and got 93k (c86% occupancy)

We are holding another now, we chose the grounds, and are on course for 75k, max of 80k (c65-69% occupancy).

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I’m no marketing genius but I would have thought people would prefer to sit near the half way line, why would you only release tickets at one end, surely bays 40 and 41 would of been a better starting point.

47 minutes ago, Balmain1969 said:

I’m no marketing genius but I would have thought people would prefer to sit near the half way line, why would you only release tickets at one end, surely bays 40 and 41 would of been a better starting point.

Only in RL....

1 hour ago, Balmain1969 said:

Crazy, who is gonna buy a seat in the top left of the stand.

Why wait until 2 days before the event. Monday morning was the best time to open and push sales.

• Like 2

Just now, faithfulbyname said:

36500 or so

Think the whole bottom tier is c30k, so probablyjust over that at the moment.

Should be a very good atmosphere however many they sell In the upper tier.