Georgia Roche

Dunbar

Congratulations to Georgia Roche for being shortlisted for Young Sports Personality of the Year. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/45834257

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Yes, fingers crossed.

While I suspect Jack Draper may get it as tennis is a bit of a BBC favourite I would have Georgia-Mae Fenton as probably the best achievement with an individual Commonwealth Gold at just 17 (as well as a team silver).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, DoubleD said:

Do you think she would have been nominated for it, were it not for the introduction of the Woman of Steel award?

I have absolutely zero interest in this charade of a show but pleased for her getting recognition all the same 

This is only a guess but I would say there would have been 0% chance if it were not for the Woman of Steel award getting her name 'out there'... the BBC award is essentially a sweep up of various  sporting achievements throughout the year.

It shows the value of our sport showcasing our best and raising their profile.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is only a guess but I would say there would have been 0% chance if it were not for the Woman of Steel award getting her name 'out there'... the BBC award is essentially a sweep up of various  sporting achievements throughout the year.

It shows the value of our sport showcasing our best and raising their profile.

Absolutely, I’m pleased to see the increasing profile of the women’s game and can only see it going from strength to strength 

The women's game can be a real catalyst for national profile if we can get our act together on this. Look at the NRLW this season (and the AFLW) - concentrated season with all the top players brought together for four clubs - Roosters, Dragons, Broncos and Warriors. All games as double headers (including the Grand Final), all games televised. The first game for the Broncos had 18,000 people in the ground by the end of the game! This on top of the first Origin played in front of over 8,000 in North Sydney - the NRLW will grow slowly but surely.

For me the Women's Super League season is too long; we're really diverting players from successful amateur clubs and putting pro-team shirts on them. A concentrated full-on full time Super League with teams playing out of a few M62 clubs, London, Newcastle and Catalans and the Grand Final at Old Trafford could make a real impact on the casual sporting public.

Archived