Australia vs Tonga

B rad

I must admit it's great that we have England v France (even if the RFL seemed to determined to hide it away) followed by Oz v Tonga

and then England v NZ ...... it almost appears coordinated .... like we have an international calendar! Spooky or what?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, I am looking forward to this game tomorrow more than any game I can remember that did not involve England/Great Britain.

If Tonga managed to pull off a victory it would be huge for international League.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have to say, I am looking forward to this game tomorrow more than any game I can remember that did not involve England/Great Britain.

If Tonga managed to pull off a victory it would be huge for international League.

I agree, great game and also looking forward to it. 

What do you think will happen if Tonga win?

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I agree, great game and also looking forward to it. 

What do you think will happen if Tonga win?

In the immediate term, I expect that the Kangaroo staff and players would get a bit of stick... some Australian commentators will recognise it as a great achievement by Tonga but some will be overly critical.  It may even drive the Australians to become a little more introverted which would not be great.

But in the longer term; we are already seeing so many players of Polynesian heritage coming through the ranks in the NRL.  Previously the best of these may have been drawn to Australia but some will want to follow in the footsteps of these Tongan players.  I expect the standard between Australia, New Zealand, Tonga and Samoa to close up considerably.  The former two will always be the strongest but there will be competitive internationals and this will bring international League back to the forefront of the sport as the best players and best games will be internationals (not State of Origin).

If (and it's a big if) the international federation can take this momentum and run with it we could see Rugby League become really dominant in Australasia (and if not dominant then really strong).  Add in England and we can have very competitive world cups.  Competitive and glamorous international teams will also be a sky anchor for new territories such as Europe and North America.

With the change in the junior base of the NRL I expect all the above to happen in the next 20 years anyway... a Tonga win tomorrow will simply take the hand brake off.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In the immediate term, I expect that the Kangaroo staff and players would get a bit of stick... some Australian commentators will recognise it as a great achievement by Tonga but some will be overly critical.  It may even drive the Australians to become a little more introverted which would not be great.

But in the longer term; we are already seeing so many players of Polynesian heritage coming through the ranks in the NRL.  Previously the best of these may have been drawn to Australia but some will want to follow in the footsteps of these Tongan players.  I expect the standard between Australia, New Zealand, Tonga and Samoa to close up considerably.  The former two will always be the strongest but there will be competitive internationals and this will bring international League back to the forefront of the sport as the best players and best games will be internationals (not State of Origin).

If (and it's a big if) the international federation can take this momentum and run with it we could see Rugby League become really dominant in Australasia (and if not dominant then really strong).  Add in England and we can have very competitive world cups.  Competitive and glamorous international teams will also be a sky anchor for new territories such as Europe and North America.

With the change in the junior base of the NRL I expect all the above to happen in the next 20 years anyway... a Tonga win tomorrow will simply take the hand brake off.

I admire your optimism. 

I suspect what will actually happen is Australia won't play again for 3 years and Tonga will have a mid-season test versus Samoa arranged 24 hours in advance before merging with New Zealand and playing warm-up matches against city Origin at Leichardt Oval ad infinitum.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I admire your optimism. 

I suspect what will actually happen is Australia won't play again for 3 years and Tonga will have a mid-season test versus Samoa arranged 24 hours in advance before merging with New Zealand and playing warm-up matches against city Origin at Leichardt Oval ad infinitum.

I am an eternal optimist, I can't help it! I think that there will be a surge in public demand and expectation for these games and I think the NRL will look to turn that to their advantage (this is a good thing as they are the driving force for RL in the Southern Hemisphere).

3 minutes ago, LaneCoveTiger said:

The Tongan match and Australia’s preparation has been getting a few pages a day in the Sydney papers and all of it positive. Massive contrast to five years ago when it would barely get a mention.

Let's hope that Tonga can do their bit for prolonging that media exposure, by beating Australia.

Really excited by this match. Tonga have momentum on their side as regards players committing to them, and the Kangaroos are coming off a still-rare defeat.

I'd expect most TRL members' heart/head expectations are the same as mine, but a Tongan win tomorrow would warrant a bottle of moderately-priced fizz when I go shopping afterwards.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Really excited by this match. Tonga have momentum on their side as regards players committing to them, and the Kangaroos are coming off a still-rare defeat.

I'd expect most TRL members' heart/head expectations are the same as mine, but a Tongan win tomorrow would warrant a bottle of moderately-priced fizz when I go shopping afterwards.

Fizz?

I don't know why, and i don't know you, but for some reason I exected so much more of you.

I'm disappointed.

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Fizz?

I don't know why, and i don't know you, but for some reason I exected so much more of you.

I'm disappointed.

Well, the budget won't run to vintage Krug or Billecart-Salmon, but 75cl of something pleasantly sparkling will fit the bill.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, the budget won't run to vintage Krug or Billecart-Salmon, but 75cl of something pleasantly sparkling will fit the bill.

OK, well let's hope Tonga can do the job for you then.

For my part, I have a very nice Chateauneuf that my kids bought me for my birthday that has been waiting for an ocassion such as this.

39 minutes ago, Gray1967 said:

What time does this actualy kick off? I know coverage starts at 7am  on sky, but dont wanna get up till it actualy starts ?

It's on the Our League App - 7.00 to 7.02, 7.35 to 7.36, 8.10 to 8.12 and 8.24 to 8.25

I live an Hour South of Auckland.

I had planned on travelling up to the game nice and early to avoid the Long weekend traffic (Public holiday in NZ Labour Weekend, perfect time to host an event of this magnitude).

Have to wait till my mate finishes work, could be tense (getting there on time for kick off).

Tonga are really up against it here.

Primarily their lack of prep is the biggest concern. Many of the Tongan side have not played in the finals of the NRL, so will be short of a gallop.

Tonga will be banking on the crowd getting them home, If they are close in the Fourth quarter, Aussie could potentially be in for a lot of trouble, with the Tongans favouring resting their best Forwards for that stage of the game (it works, they seem to have solved the sixty minute problem other Island sides have, coming home fast almost over the top of England, and trampling NZ).

16 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Tonga will run out of steam. Sadly.

The sun is out, bbq cleaned, people are coming round to drink Asahi, all because the wife loved the wc game last year.

Game is on watchnrl

What are you cooking, Steak?

Homemade Pizza and James Boags  at our place.

image.jpeg.a3f86199a0c4e035836c1a468e3ea3d2.jpeg

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

44 minutes ago, Allora said:

What are you cooking, Steak?

Homemade Pizza and James Boags  at our place.

image.jpeg.a3f86199a0c4e035836c1a468e3ea3d2.jpeg

2 inch ribeyes, pots, salad, spicy dressing. Done. Crickets on at half 12 as well. Love days like this.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Archived