Leeds New Signing

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, damp squib said:

He's a great signing for Superleague but I'm not sure he's a great signing for Leeds.

Why? we have lost Hall who makes a lot of metres running out from our own half, as does Hurrell, he is a very powerful runner and we really needed to replace Moon at centre, the only downside is he is used to playing in the same spot as Watkins so either he or Watkins will have to shift sides.

Matt Santos - who should leeds be signing? 

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Why? we have lost Hall who makes a lot of metres running out from our own half, as does Hurrell, he is a very powerful runner and we really needed to replace Moon at centre, the only downside is he is used to playing in the same spot as Watkins so either he or Watkins will have to shift sides.

Leeds have had a tumultuous time of it lately and really need a solid season next year.

Hurrell will be a crowd favourite with his hit ups but he's the ultimate rocks and diamonds player and regularly comes up with a few howlers.

I might be wrong though and as a neutral I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Great signing can't wait to see him...

3 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Leeds have had a tumultuous time of it lately and really need a solid season next year.

Hurrell will be a crowd favourite with his hit ups but he's the ultimate rocks and diamonds player and regularly comes up with a few howlers.

I might be wrong though and as a neutral I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

What we need at Headingley is some entertainment as really it has been dire for the last two seasons (even though we won a GF) I do sort of agree we need some solidity but I'm hoping we can get some finings in the second row and pack that will give us a good platform, but the project of having 2 exciting players like Lolohea and Hurrell for next year really will give the supporters a boost I think.

32 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Average. Very very average..

He's popular, but not he's just not that good.

I'm baffled as to one of our biggest clubs is signing someone of this ilk.

Average in NRL = amazing in SL. That's the general rule. 

Must admit I don't often watch GC Titans games so not sure how he's been playing last couple of seasons but saw him a lot at NZ Warriors where he had a massive impact. 

10 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Average in NRL = amazing in SL. That's the general rule. 

Must admit I don't often watch GC Titans games so not sure how he's been playing last couple of seasons but saw him a lot at NZ Warriors where he had a massive impact. 

He hasn’t been as influential with the GC as with the Warriors. Whether he has lost a little as he’s aged or it was a case of not fully fitting into the team....

I notice he hasn’t made the Tongan team to play Oz either.

He may enjoy the more open style of SL. I see it as a bit of a gamble though.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I think his impact in the NRL has dulled a little over time as backs over here get bigger, but his size and power will really sort out some super league centres. He's an attacking ball runner who will love a less structured and disciplined game - at times I think NRL coaches have pushed him too hard into structure, doing the 1%ers and all that stuff. I think fitness can be an issue with both Hurrell and Lolohea, but if they can keep the weight off and stay fit, they could both really do well. Signings like those two, and Austin at Warrington, are exciting for the competition.

5 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I think his impact in the NRL has dulled a little over time as backs over here get bigger, but his size and power will really sort out some super league centres. He's an attacking ball runner who will love a less structured and disciplined game - at times I think NRL coaches have pushed him too hard into structure, doing the 1%ers and all that stuff. I think fitness can be an issue with both Hurrell and Lolohea, but if they can keep the weight off and stay fit, they could both really do well. Signings like those two, and Austin at Warrington, are exciting for the competition.

Agreed SL in the past was far more entertaining than the NRL because it was a bit less structured (whether that has helped in the international game is another point) so players Like Lolohea and Hurrell tend to shine but over the last few years SL clubs have tried to go down the NRL route and it has been all the poorer for it IMO

Think he’s bang average tbh. Burst onto the scene at the Warriors and looked as though he could really go places, then had issues with his weight and performance and was shipped off to the Titans, where he’s not exactly set the world alight. 

He’ll probably do quite well on the edges for Leeds but I’m not sure he’ll be one of the top players in the league. 

If he comes across with the wrong attitude, as he has shown at times in the past, and out of shape then this could go disastrously wrong. If he keeps in shape though and is coming to play then it could turn out to be a very good signing. He is certainly no wingers centre but on his day is a cut above many of the centres in Super League and could score plenty one on one with a bit of space close to the line.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

If he comes across with the wrong attitude, as he has shown at times in the past, and out of shape then this could go disastrously wrong. If he keeps in shape though and is coming to play then it could turn out to be a very good signing. He is certainly no wingers centre but on his day is a cut above many of the centres in Super League and could score plenty one on one with a bit of space close to the line.

I'm hoping the fact that he has worked with both David Furner and Lolohea before will mean he gets back into some form.

I think this is a good signing . He is frustrating with his handling errors in the ruck , but it’s mainly a concentration and attention to detail issue a lot of the time . And of course playing the ball isn’t important here anyway ! He has great assets in strength power and a bit of xfactor . He’s also a great character and will garner quite a following. It is true he hasn’t fulfilled all the potential of his youth and hasn’t always applied himself but maybe a change of scenery and the style of SL is what he needs . Tidy up the rough edges and this is as good a signing as we are gonna get from down there 

33 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Think he’s bang average tbh. Burst onto the scene at the Warriors and looked as though he could really go places, then had issues with his weight and performance and was shipped off to the Titans, where he’s not exactly set the world alight. 

He’ll probably do quite well on the edges for Leeds but I’m not sure he’ll be one of the top players in the league. 

A bit like Lachlan Coote I suppose ? He was a waste of space at NQC.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Better centres. 

Failing that, younger, less injury/weight prone players with something to prove / aspire to.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

A bit like Lachlan Coote I suppose ? He was a waste of space at NQC.

Lachlan Coote - 1 NRL Grand Final Win. 

Konrad Hurrell - Erm...He’s funny. 

Not sure what your issue is. I, like many others, on this thread, chose to discuss Hurrell’s career and in particular his poor performances, his weight issues and his attitude. You’ve taken offence with me. Odd. 

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:
3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Better centres.

Leeds will have the best pair of centres, on paper and before Hurell proves himself, in the league next season. There's a question as to whether this is where the focus should be (although there are more signings to come) but I don't see that there is a quality issue there.

Archived