• Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Well we’re due another good year, it goes 

15 good

16 bad

17 good

18 bad 

19 good? 

It was supposed to just be every tenth year ('86, '96, '06, '16). I'm not sure I can deal with this rollercoaster every other year.

Although if you're saying we'll be champions 50% of the time I might settle for it :)

12 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Peacock was a bigger signing surely and has been said Buderes, anyway pedantry aside, that would be a great signing both for us and SL in general.

Peacock signed way before Buderus. We haven't signed any big names since Buderus iirc

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I know I was  replying to a post that said Ellis was the last leeds big signing.

Leeds need to make sure he's coming for the right reasons.  The conversation Bennett said he had with him doesn't suggest that.  Seems like Leeds was the last port of call.

"Trent Merrin contacted me last Sunday and said he was being pushed out of Penrith and they had a deal for him to play in England for the next few years," Bennett told News Corp

"I’ve got a good relationship with Trent. I’ve known him since he was a young kid at the Dragons and we’ve always kept in touch.

"Trent rang me. I didn’t go chasing him."

"Trent said he would prefer not to go to England and he rang me looking for advice and asked if there was anything I could do."

That doesn’t mean he won’t do a professional job if he does come.

It must be a difficult pill to swallow; it is only five minutes since he was signed by Penrith as one of the best players in the NRL on one of the biggest ever salaries given out. He is obviously feeling rejected now and believes he can still do a job and doesn’t want to accept that the players competing for his place are earning much less and putting him under salary cap pressure to leave.

It is a bit of a hard sell when the guy has two years left on contract. He is probably thinking I’ll go to SL in two years, why should I leave now. The last time I checked Leeds is not warm, sunny and full of surfer chicks which he is partial to!

If he thinks rationally though, he will earn great money for 4 years rather than great money for two and moderate thereafter. He will also have more chance of winning something in Leeds albeit in a competition he believes carries less kudos. 

6 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

That doesn’t mean he won’t do a professional job if he does come.

It must be a difficult pill to swallow; it is only five minutes since he was signed by Penrith as one of the best players in the NRL on one of the biggest ever salaries given out. He is obviously feeling rejected now and believes he can still do a job and doesn’t want to accept that the players competing for his place are earning much less and putting him under salary cap pressure to leave.

It is a bit of a hard sell when the guy has two years left on contract. He is probably thinking I’ll go to SL in two years, why should I leave now. The last time I checked Leeds is not warm, sunny and full of surfer chicks which he is partial to!

If he thinks rationally though, he will earn great money for 4 years rather than great money for two and moderate thereafter. He will also have more chance of winning something in Leeds albeit in a competition he believes carries less kudos. 

Would you put money on him staying 4 years?

Would you put money on him winning things with Leeds?

Disgraceful comments by Bennett, thrown Merrin right under the bus there.  If he's been confided in by an ex player, who obviously trusts him, to then make that conversation public, which basically states the player dosnt really want to go to the club he looks very likely to be going to,  thats a great first impression he's created there for Merrin if he comes. Theres already Leeds fans who dont want him anywhere near headingley because of what Bennetts said.

As a Leeds fan myself , im not too bothered, 90% of the decent NRL players only come over here because they get a better deal than they can get in Oz, so its nothing really new or suprising, only difference is that Bennett has made this one public knowledge.  Some players still give it there all and earn there money while others put there que on the rack and put very little effort in for there money, if Merrin comes, hopefully he's the former.

17 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Would you put money on him staying 4 years?

Would you put money on him winning things with Leeds?

I think I would yes.

As it stands he has a two year contract on mega money, it is fair to assume that the 4 year contract on offer is equally beneficial but 2 years longer. On that basis I would expect him to stay the full four years rather than leave earlier otherwise what is the point in coming in the first place. If he has that mindset he will never come over he will just stay at Penrith for the next two years.

That is the carrot he has to decide on, he can keep earning mega money for an extra two years but he has to up sticks, leave the sun behind, his friends, family and the surfer babes and go to the other side of the world. It is a short career and in the end he will make the best decision for him financially.

I have no problem with him not wanting to leave the NRL and his life behind, why would you if you didn't have to!? When you factor in the fact he must look in the mirror and think i am still the same guy people suggested was one of the best in the comp.

The main issue is his mega wages. If he dropped to average wages he would get a long term contract at any NRL club but why would he do that.

12 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

I think I would yes.

As it stands he has a two year contract on mega money, it is fair to assume that the 4 year contract on offer is equally beneficial but 2 years longer. On that basis I would expect him to stay the full four years rather than leave earlier otherwise what is the point in coming in the first place. If he has that mindset he will never come over he will just stay at Penrith for the next two years.

That is the carrot he has to decide on, he can keep earning mega money for an extra two years but he has to up sticks, leave the sun behind, his friends, family and the surfer babes and go to the other side of the world. It is a short career and in the end he will make the best decision for him financially.

I have no problem with him not wanting to leave the NRL and his life behind, why would you if you didn't have to!? When you factor in the fact he must look in the mirror and think i am still the same guy people suggested was one of the best in the comp.

The main issue is his mega wages. If he dropped to average wages he would get a long term contract at any NRL club but why would he do that.

Has Trent Merrin already signed for Leeds or will it soon be announced?

Can't see the problem,Merrin is a Sydney born player who will be on a good contract at Penrith,I'm sure like most Aussie players his first choice would always be to stay in the NRL if a deal was on offer.It looks like it isn't the case so he's left with his 2nd choice,which is Leeds & Superleague.

I hope Leeds are checking he's not signing because he's being pushed out ,its still whithin memory of Lee Crooks being pushec into signing for Leeds when his heart wasnt in it 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Fox sports in Australia saying that John Sutton not included in South Sydney's squad and yet to be offered a deal, there speculating that it could be because the Rabbitohs are after Trent Merrin which would tie in with Bennett's impending arrival and some of his comments earlier, remember he's always talked in riddles!

On 11/4/2018 at 12:53 PM, Clogiron said:

Fox sports in Australia saying that John Sutton not included in South Sydney's squad and yet to be offered a deal, there speculating that it could be because the Rabbitohs are after Trent Merrin which would tie in with Bennett's impending arrival and some of his comments earlier, remember he's always talked in riddles!

Various rumours are circulating about whether Merrin has actually signed for Leeds or is talking to South Sydney. What is the latest accurate position?

Archived