Hall of Fame - 1st Hull born player, Johnny Whiteley

I did say it should be Sir Johnny when the initial announcement of a new inductee was made, actually why he doesn't have a knighthood should be the question, his achievements both on the pitch, as a coach of GB, Hull FC and amateur rugby plus his off field help to the local RL scene and charitable causes pale other 'come lately's in sport who have the big gong.

Signed from Hull Fish Trades Club and had appeared in the 'A' team after his demob from national service before getting his debut on 23rd December 1950 at the grand old age of 20! 417 appearances over 15 years, 156 tries & 2 goals, 5th in Hulls' try scoring list though only the second highest scoring forward - bettered by the mighty Thor of second rowers Bob Taylor.
Whiteley was a one club man, missed virtually two whole seasons in the twighlight of his career with a devastating ankle injury (all of 62/63 and only 3 game sin  63/64) and then had one last hurrah the next year before calling it quits after 15 seasons

15 Test/World Cup appearances for Great Britain which is MORE than Vinty Karalious, if weren't for VK and Derek 'Rocky' Turner two outstanding loose/locks Whiteley would be up there in full tests (remember the tour games were not considered international appearances in those days).

Selected for the 1954 GB world cup squad but didn't play (Dave Nightingale played all four)
Selected and played in the 1958 tour squad that retained the Ashes in Australia scoring a try in the third test.
He was a member of the G.B. squad to beat Australia on home soil in the 1959 test series scoring a try to help beat the Aussies.
He repeated the feat again scoring the vital winning try in the last few minutes in the 1960 ashes triumph.
Member of the 1962 G.B. team (regarded by many as the greatest ever touring team) which won the ashes in Australia.

Coached the 1970 GB ashes winning side, the last to win it in Australia, coached Hull FC, Hull KR, set up the west Hull amateur club, coached the Yorkshire side for 12 years too.

Legend.

whiteley.JPG

Love this quote

" rugby league has been my life – is my life "

Great stuff from a great player!

I also liked this image from the Yorkshire post

image.png.1b01446ed06e76c952f29097959dff60.png

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I don't know of Johnny Whiteley, but from reading the above, it seems this recognition is well deserved.

I'm pleased too for Little Andy Gregory. I always remember him because when I was watching rugby league as a child (and not coming from a rugby area, of either code), I didn't know that players wore shoulder pads. I remember I used to think he was a really stocky little chap - like a beer barrel shape. Great player, though.

Archived