Sign in to follow this  
Kirmonds pouch

Loan players report please?

Hi just wondering if you can give me a final report on how Hooley and Kershaw did for you this season

I think they are both cracking players especially Hooley who has SL written all over him.

Would you take them both again? Not sure what your financial situation is, sorry.

Kershaw was excellent pretty much throughout.  Fantastic work rate returning the ball and has great balance in wrong footing the defence. The only worry for me was speed. Even by League one standards he was slow and would get caught out by SL standards on the wing. 

Hooley was a bit different. Skill wise he is silky smooth and has excellent balance when running the ball in open play. However when returning the ball from kicks he would often surrender in the tackle or appear not to want to run the ball at all. This would be something he really needs to improve if he wanted to step up to super league. Personally think he would be better at 6 than full back as his passing, organisation in attack and kicking are his best attributes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, m brooksy said:

Kershaw was excellent pretty much throughout.  Fantastic work rate returning the ball and has great balance in wrong footing the defence. The only worry for me was speed. Even by League one standards he was slow and would get caught out by SL standards on the wing. 

Hooley was a bit different. Skill wise he is silky smooth and has excellent balance when running the ball in open play. However when returning the ball from kicks he would often surrender in the tackle or appear not to want to run the ball at all. This would be something he really needs to improve if he wanted to step up to super league. Personally think he would be better at 6 than full back as his passing, organisation in attack and kicking are his best attributes.

Yup pretty much how I see it. I think Kershaw will make it because he has ticker and his speed will probably improve as his positional sense gets better. Not a length of the field winger but good work rate and pops up wherever he’s needed.

As for Hooley couldn’t agree more. He has it all but when we played Leeds in a friendly he suddenly looked lost especially when returning the ball. Before that game he was being touted as possibly pushing for first team but since then he’s barely been mentioned.

He is still quite slight of build and very young looking so maybe physically he’s just not got that toughness yet that comes with age. You get away with it at U19 level but not against the big boys.

I hope this is the case as he’s a talent. I think that if you want him then another season with you would be a good idea. If you can take the physicality in your league you’ll be ok in SL in that respect.

• Like 2