Swinton squad news for 2019 season

Gerrumonside ref

Rumour has it that Bracek and Thornley have gone to Leigh - big loss to us I think and also Josh Woods has gone there on a season long loan - with Duffy now also rumoured to be the coach at Leigh he is obviously pulling in the players he knows and has coached before,.

Still think we need an established stand off and maybe another centre and winger / full back

Was having a nosey at some of the other teams squads. It's going to be another tough year to get points on the board. Hopefully we do ourselves justice.

York look to be spending a shedload of cash. They have 24 players signed up and allegedly more to come. Exacty how many squad players can you have? Does anyone on here know?

We've done pretty well too signing up players. Is it possible to lose a signed on player to another club without a transfer fee?  Just a thought as Leigh now look to be getting their act together ...

I played loose forward, at 49 i think i qualify for an over the hill team.  Maybe we should start a walking rugby team.  and play charity matches against the supporters coming to each home and or away matches and raise funds for the local community and rugby league cares, id be up for it who else is.

We should start a walking rugby team for charity,  get some money raised and spread the gospel according to the swinton lions/rugby league.  P.S.  hurry up with the online shop or people will buy other presents for xmas and run out of money to buy lions merchandise.  i can understand the shirts being a late release but other stuff should have been out long ago.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:23 AM, gandalf said:

Was having a nosey at some of the other teams squads. It's going to be another tough year to get points on the board. Hopefully we do ourselves justice.

York look to be spending a shedload of cash. They have 24 players signed up and allegedly more to come. Exacty how many squad players can you have? Does anyone on here know?

We've done pretty well too signing up players. Is it possible to lose a signed on player to another club without a transfer fee?  Just a thought as Leigh now look to be getting their act together ...

I think some players would have a release clause in their contract but usually only if a superleague club came calling, but if a player wanted to leave there is no point standing in there way as an unsettled player is a disruptive one.

Its official now Bracek has gone to Leigh - understandable with it being his home town team and being mates with Duffy, no word on Andy Thornley but rumour has it he is also Leigh bound...…….

Was disappointed to see just one line of thanks to Josh Barlow from the club after they mutually agreed to part company - I know his on field performances were peppered with poor discipline but he was fully committed to the team.

Still need a recognised stand off - otherwise it will have to be Gandalf...……:)

Thornley was announced by Leigh last Friday 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Gandalf - with the signing of Oscar Thomas, we have lost our chance for the stand off spot - actually he is a quality signing and can play at stand off as well as full back,  I am really excited now as we have a well balanced squad, which I think will do well next season. Well done to the club in securing Oscar's signature.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:59 AM, wayne_r said:

Does anyone know if we are still having the DR deal with Wigan ?

The latest thing I can find in the press is this interview Kris Radlinski gave a local Wigan paper:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/wigan-warriors-explore-loan-options-as-reserves-hopes-grounded-1-9453018

• 2 weeks later...

Taken from the official website:

The 2019 Swinton Lions squad is as follows:

1. Jack Hansen
  2. Mike Butt
  3. Rhodri Lloyd
  4. Daley Williams
  5. Ryan Gray
  6. Oscar Thomas
  7. Rob Fairclough
  8. Gavin Bennion
  9. Luke Waterworth