The Advantage Rule on Penalties should change

I finally watched the Oz v Tonga game and found it enjoyable and a decent match up of course, however I noticed at least twice in the game the clever cynical Oz players deliberately give away a penalty so to stop the fast play the ball and allow the defenders to get back and set up the line. 

I propose a rule change that the ref is able to say zero at penalties so to allow play to flow.... 

To get round the fact that some times teams will want to take the two at goal, the advantage could run for the zero tackle after which the attacking side have the option to keep rolling or to mark the penalty by raising a arm at the ptb. They would have this chance after the zero tackle only not at points throughout the set..... 

Or the ref could allow just  the set to run from the zero after a foul and bring it back to the spot if after the zero no real  advantage comes... Ala union. 

Thoughts? 

17 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I finally watched the Oz v Tonga game and found it enjoyable and a decent match up of course, however I noticed at least twice in the game the clever cynical Oz players deliberately give away a penalty so to stop the fast play the ball and allow the defenders to get back and set up the line. 

I propose a rule change that the ref is able to say zero at penalties so to allow play to flow.... 

To get round the fact that some times teams will want to take the two at goal, the advantage could run for the zero tackle after which the attacking side have the option to keep rolling or to mark the penalty by raising a arm at the ptb. They would have this chance after the zero tackle only not at points throughout the set..... 

Or the ref could allow just  the set to run from the zero after a foul and bring it back to the spot if after the zero no real  advantage comes... Ala union. 

Thoughts? 

Seen it all year . Refs see a penalty and blow a penalty when the attacking team would want to play on . Who’s it benefiting? Comms often mention it . They can play advantage I’d guess but it’s part of the robotic mindset that’s programmed into refs there now . You hear folk saying that they are not really allowed to think much for themselves and have rigid protocols . Really need a bit more common sense and empathy , as well as confidence in decision making . We’ll see what next year brings after all the focus on them this year  

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Seen it all year . Refs see a penalty and blow a penalty when the attacking team would want to play on . Who’s it benefiting? Comms often mention it . They can play advantage I’d guess but it’s part of the robotic mindset that’s programmed into refs there now . You hear folk saying that they are not really allowed to think much for themselves and have rigid protocols . Really need a bit more common sense and empathy , as well as confidence in decision making . We’ll see what next year brings after all the focus on them this year  

Agree. Let's see what happens next year. 

At the very least cynical penalties near the line should be a automatic yellow card for each offence so if a team persists in it they are at 11 men very soon. This will curb this activity fast if referred right... 

Archived