Summer Bash New Venue?

......according to Mick Gledhill anyway,

I hope they don't retract and worry about ground size and attendance. Personally I'll go no matter where it is but where is suitable?

Coastal? Can't think of many really. Centrally? Nope. "Expansion area" probably but where would be suitable and add appeal for 10k+ fans.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this has come on the back of whoever’s been promoted?

Bradford - a weekend at Odsal?

York - a bash at Bootham Crescent? I imagine a visit to York would be popular and all within striking distance.

Issue is one side would need to lose a home game to compensate for their ground being used.

Who knows?

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Simples. York play Bradford as curtain raiser for magic weekend then play the rest at York’s shiney new stadium 

The problem with that plan is that if you take away York and Bulls supporters, the stadium would be as empty as it was at Blackpool this year!

4 minutes ago, DEANO said:

In other words the extra round isn’t necessary 

Yes. the Summer Bash is completely unnecessary 

Whether it is 'desirable' is a more nuanced discussion. I'd say, on the evidence of this years 'effort', the answer would be 'no'. It might do better with better supported clubs in the division - obviously the Bulls will take more than London, for example. Also having it a location where the hosting venue makes a proper effort to publicise it might help!

I'd be really interested to see which venues have apparently 'bid' for the weekend. Based on this year, its hard to see why anyone would want to host it!

34 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Maybe this has come on the back of whoever’s been promoted?

Bradford - a weekend at Odsal?

York - a bash at Bootham Crescent? I imagine a visit to York would be popular and all within striking distance.

Issue is one side would need to lose a home game to compensate for their ground being used.

Who knows?

York’s new ground looks great but it’s quite a way from the centre, where all the decent pubs are.

The ‘new’ Headlingley. I’m not basing it off anything I’ve heard but it’s close for Bradford, who should travel in good numbers, York, who’s crowds are good, Halifax, Fev, Batley, Dewsbury and Sheffield, who are situated locally and it’s big enough to cater for Widnes’ followers and any people wanting to watch Toronto. 

I've suggested this before but the venue needs the following -

- 10k capacity 

- In RL land so local fans can supplement the attendence

- International standard stadium (been used for World Cups or 4 Nations)

- Close to the sea

- Close to a towns attractions

- Close to a Train Station

- Near Tourist areas 

Well if all those are needed there is only one candidate - Workington ( Tag line - Fun in the Sun with the Marras)

Went to it the two seasons we were in the championship, would I go again? I doubt it,it was a bit of a novelty. A day out at the seaside with a bit of rugger thrown in. Also it looks terrible on TV ,the ground looks empty I assume because some fans will just watch their team then go. But that's just me.

Archived