Summer Bash New Venue?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Summer bash has been getting 15K for the full weekend so York could be a good choice plus it would look full as it holds 8K 

York would have been a great option were it not for them (deservedly, I should add) gaining promotion.

It didn't get anywhere close to 15K this year, but in any event most supporters just go for their game - so it always looks empty despite the announced figures. The main headline match - for example Bulls vs Hull KR the other year - is the only time when there's a big crowd and a good atmosphere. So a ground with a capacity of 8-10K would be fine, as that would the largest number there at any given stage.

8 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

York would have been a great option were it not for them (deservedly, I should add) gaining promotion.

It didn't get anywhere close to 15K this year, but in any event most supporters just go for their game - so it always looks empty despite the announced figures. The main headline match - for example Bulls vs Hull KR the other year - is the only time when there's a big crowd and a good atmosphere. So a ground with a capacity of 8-10K would be fine, as that would the largest number there at any given stage.

Last year was 11k. The biggest attendance was 16K. I think haveing it within or closer to the M62 would attract more casual/ neutral fans. I think York, Headingley (once finished) or even Halifax and Newcastle (Thunders ground) would be good options

38 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Last year was 11k. The biggest attendance was 16K. I think haveing it within or closer to the M62 would attract more casual/ neutral fans. I think York, Headingley (once finished) or even Halifax and Newcastle (Thunders ground) would be good options

I'm not an expert on geography, but I'm pretty sure Newcastle is a lot further from the M62 than Blackpool!

25 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I dunno. 2 simultaneous games on the same pitch could be fun.....might be a bit like all in tag wrestling.

It’s probable that the championship teams wouldn’t be fielding full squads and may run out of players to ‘tag’

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

13 hours ago, northernmouse said:

Morecambe - (fits seaside destination) - 6.5k capacity and best pies in football

Always reminds me of this:

Trudging slowly over wet sand
Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen
This is the coastal town
That they forgot to close down
Armageddon, come Armageddon!
Come, Armageddon! Come!

On 10/23/2018 at 10:26 AM, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The last round before Super League teams join, under the structure we’ve had in 2018, had twelve games (The Fourth Round). Twelve games over a weekend at one venue would be a logistical nightmare. 

I said the round before ALL Super League teams join, so that would be the fifth round and would include 4 SL teams. That's 8 games.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

30 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'm hoping Headingley is where they would be staging the Championship Grand Final.

I’m hoping as well, but don’t you think they might have it at the home of the highest seeded team like they did with the MPG and League 1 playoff final

I think a big factor is making it attractive enough for some to want to stay all weekend. I can't see many rushing to book hotel rooms if it was in Doncaster or Halifax!

York would be ideal, a great city for a weekend break and the new stadium will have great transport links (park and ride buses are every 10mins). The right size capacity at 8k. 

Newcastle Kingston Park is a nice enough ground but seems a bit far from the centre with not much to do around the place, I've visited once and it just seemed to be in the middle of lots of housing (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Holding it at the same time as magic would be ridiculous. 

Headingley would be my 2nd choice but the ground is perhaps too big. 

Knowing the RFL they'll pick Cas Vegas or Keighley instead :-)

Archived