Summer Bash New Venue?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can't play it at York. Why should they get:

1) home advantage in an unbalanced fixture

2) A big influx of cash from the RFL paying them to host it plus all associated sales over the weekend? 

If they were still in League one it would have some merit but you can't turn the weekend into a home game for one club.

10 minutes ago, Colin James said:

2) A big influx of cash from the RFL paying them to host it plus all associated sales over the weekend? 

If they were still in League one it would have some merit but you can't turn the weekend into a home game for one club.

1. is absolutely fair comment. 

2. rules out any Rugby league ground from hosting anything that isnt their own fixtures, so take internationals, finals, neutral venue semis and so on.. If they have built a good enough stadium then they deserve the reward for doing so surely. 

However point 1 should over rule any discussion of York for this.

5 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Perhaps but in context of the Championship, hosting Summer Bash would be worth tens (hundreds?) of thousands of pounds which would have a huge impact on spending power. Why should York get it over say Fev? Both have built their stadia. Fev actually did it themselves.

If Fev can put together a case for them getting the Summer Bash and it is better than Yorks then let Fev have it. 

However, your point 1, which i said was a fair point, would still over rule this. 

you could say the same about why international matches go to one stadium rather than another or any other time when a venue needs to be picked. 

Put the cases forward and best one can get it (point 1 taken into consideration). Thats life.. 

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

If Fev can put together a case for them getting the Summer Bash and it is better than Yorks then let Fev have it. 

However, your point 1, which i said was a fair point, would still over rule this. 

you could say the same about why international matches go to one stadium rather than another or any other time when a venue needs to be picked. 

Put the cases forward and best one can get it (point 1 taken into consideration). Thats life.. 

But it'd be in Fev. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Would York perhaps not be a bit small? The capacity would be around 8,000 or less (usually the actual working capacity of a ground is less than the one stated) Historically on days when teams like Bradford, Leigh etc have played the crowds have been in excess of this. With York essentially being at home you'd perhaps get a couple of thousand extra too. Better than being in an empty stadium I suppose but for an event we complain about needing to attract more fans we'd be limiting a potentially good year for the bash.

I have the feeling the main problem with Newcastle is that too much of the capacity is standing, how many seats are there? For an all day event I would imagine the RFL would want an all seater stadium.

2 hours ago, Colin James said:

Brisbane are hosting the NRL Magic round.

5 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

A magic weekend for some but not all? Daft. Have you ever thought of applying for a job at The RFL?

I don't get the issue? Are you saying that because everyone can't be at the same venue, it's bad?

It actually includes more than the Summer Bash did previously.

Try being a bit more tactful and less arsey and you might actually make a clearer point.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 hours ago, cookey said:

Cant see much wrong with York.

Lovely city,sufficient hotels,bars,restraunts,shops,tourism and central ish location.Plus new ground.

The new ground is only a short 2.5 mile walk from the centre too. 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

York is great, but is it not a bit pricey to stay there as a result?

Have you seen the price of accommodation in Blackpool? At least accommodation that you'd actually want to go within 15 light years of.

If we're trying to project an imagine of a P!$$ poor sport that's played exclusively in northern Shiiitholes, then let's carry on with a scruffy dump like Blackpool.

If however we want to take the sport to a world famous city playing at a brand new stadium, with oodles of culture and visitor attractions for everyone to enjoy, let's go to York.

Christ knows what our Canadian and French cousins think when they rock up in Blackpool and see the groups of knuckle draggers roaming round, wearing inflatable man parts, spewing ale and vomit everywhere etc..  

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Have you seen the price of accommodation in Blackpool? At least accommodation that you'd actually want to go within 15 light years of.

If we're trying to project an imagine of a P!$$ poor sport that's played exclusively in northern Shiiitholes, then let's carry on with a scruffy dump like Blackpool.

If however we want to take the sport to a world famous city playing at a brand new stadium, with oodles of culture and visitor attractions for everyone to enjoy, let's go to York.

Christ knows what our Canadian and French cousins think when they rock up in Blackpool and see the groups of knuckle draggers roaming round, wearing inflatable man parts, spewing ale and vomit everywhere etc..  

You missed my comments about Morecambe I take it

Archived