Barrow Afc

joe142

7 minutes ago, The Vet said:

I certainly wouldn’t like to see a repeat of the same ‘vision’ from this BOD.

Know exactly what you are saying Vet..but it did get people interested and through the gate, attendances we can only dream of now, and will probably never get again

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, The Vet said:

I certainly wouldn’t like to see a repeat of the same ‘vision’ from this BOD.

Are you serious Vet, I mean really, are you serious? Are you saying that if someone, regardless of where they come from, was willing to invest one million  pounds into Barrow RLFC, regardless of why they would want to, you would not accept that? You wouldn't want to see a repeat of the same vision? Even if it meant us winning trophies and doubling/ trebling the crowd?  You don't want to see a repeat from the same vision from the board? I think you need to ask the board what their vision is. I think it will be a bit different from yours. Why is it you don't want a vision of Barrow being successful?

11 hours ago, rooster2003 said:

Know exactly what you are saying Vet..but it did get people interested and through the gate, attendances we can only dream of now, and will probably never get again

Definitely, the team was successful and crowds were decent, unfortunately the ‘vision’ nearly finished the club, this is why I’d hate to see a repeat.

Under des Johnston we proberly conceded 70 points at home all season not per game for about four games 

brilliant to watch fantastic rugby

nearly all the games last year were all five drives down the middle if I’m wrong please correct me and the club were well in severe financial difficulties when he took over  so I’m told I for one would bring him back tomorrow 

just remember Wigan at home in the cup what a crowd what a game 

then think Halifax London and Toulouse when cricket scores were inflicted on barrow at home 

I have also been watching barrow for over 50 years and dj team beat the lot hands down so please stop saying he left the club in massive debt when the club was put up for sale by previous namesake Chairman for the massive amount of money the club owed 

good luck to steve on bringing this club back on its feet I for one will back you all the way 

Again like iv said to rooster, I’m agreeing with everyone that the rugby was very good to watch ,the best for a long time, we spent at least 25% more on wages than all other clubs (so approx 25% over the salary cap!) so I’d like to think it would be with the players we had, I hope Steve and the BOD get us stabilised which I’m very confident they will, I know Steve has visions for success but I’m hoping and I’m sure it won’t be as reckless as the 2008-2011 era, hope that makes my reasons clearer

It was good watching the exciting rugby and beating Cas was class ! But I think we all knew it was going to end badly and it did .Des did it his way and it was the wrong way to invest in a club in my opinion .The current board seem to be doing it the right way good luck to them .

I think one or two people are looking through rose-tinted glasses about the DJ era with regard to crowds. 

If you ignore the 'once in a blue moon' Wigan gate (where all their season ticket holders got in for free anyway, IIRC), according to Wikipedia in 2009, our average league attendance was around 1600-1700: It was only the games associated with the late surge to win the title that pushed our average attendances up. 

In 2010, the average home attendance for the season was 1717. 

If we have anything like a competitive season next year, watch that average get back up to around 1500!

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

I think one or two people are looking through rose-tinted glasses about the DJ era with regard to crowds. 

If you ignore the 'once in a blue moon' Wigan gate (where all their season ticket holders got in for free anyway, IIRC), according to Wikipedia in 2009, our average league attendance was around 1600-1700: It was only the games associated with the late surge to win the title that pushed our average attendances up. 

If we have anything like a competitive season next year, watch that average get back up to around 1500!

Well Dave, i'll settle for that average next season. No one can dispute DJ brought us success. I don't know the guy, wouldn't recognise him if I fell over him. Yes, he committed the ultimate crime. He was found out. I honestly believe he was only doing what most SL clubs were and are still doing. But hey, they're different. I agree we don't want a repeat of nearly going to the wall, but that's only because DJ wasn't astute at knowing how other clubs get round the salary cap. I'll give you one example. I was talking to a SL player two years ago on holiday. He told me the club who signed him payed off his parents mortgage. No money to him. Salary cap not breached. There are hundreds of ways to get round the SC. All you need is a good accountant to run rings around the RFL. One of the reasons I don't agree with the salary cap. But that's another thread.

3 minutes ago, tec said:

Catic whistleblowered the way the club was run to the RFL sadly it was shambolic -his bike didn’t even have brakes !

He wasn't the only one I believe. Don't get your quote on bike and brakes though?

2 hours ago, Dave W said:

Dream on Dave

Totally right donald. Crowds will always watch a winning team.

2 minutes ago, tec said:

Catic stayed in a RL publication Des promised him a car but instead he got a bike with no brakes .

Des's way of saying on yer bike maybe?

2 minutes ago, tec said:

That was his mode of transport from day 1 .Do you really think Des J ran the club the right way ? 

What? He was a cyclist? I never knew that. Did DJ run the club the right way? History tells us the answer to that. But boy, did we have a great ride. Look at the trophy's. I've already replied on my DJ thoughts, but hey, wouldn't you like to do that again? But, this time with the backing of a sensible board which we didn't have then.

7 minutes ago, TMF said:

What? He was a cyclist? I never knew that. Did DJ run the club the right way? History tells us the answer to that. But boy, did we have a great ride. Look at the trophy's. I've already replied on my DJ thoughts, but hey, wouldn't you like to do that again? But, this time with the backing of a sensible board which we didn't have then.

In hindsight no rather we progressed in the right way as we are now . 

There are a number of very interesting messages on this stream but also a lot of rubbish. The stream started off by being very good and a number of useful comments concerning Barrow AFC. All this has vanished and the stream is full of messages concerning developments on the Raiders in the last 10-15 years.

What surprises me is how knowledgeable people are on the salary cap. I was on the Board prior to the arrival of DJ and I was responsible for completing the salary cap forms. The system may have changed but the system was complicated and in my view you needed to be an accountant to fell them in. I had a number of meetings with RFL finance officers to make sure they were correctly completed. I would never be involved in the submission of any information that was knowingly incorrect.

As is well known the RFL did a detailed examination of DJs running of the Club and felt justified in giving him a 7 year ban. Like everybody else I enjoyed the 2009 season very much and certainly some of the signings were very impressive.

Just because rumours are rife that such and such a fiddle is being carried out does not make it correct and honest.

17 hours ago, rooster2003 said:

Dream on Dave

I've been supporting them for 40 years, through thick and thin (mostly thin) . Dreaming of better things round the corner is my default setting, I'm afraid. 

2 hours ago, Michael Ashton said:

There are a number of very interesting messages on this stream but also a lot of rubbish. The stream started off by being very good and a number of useful comments concerning Barrow AFC. All this has vanished and the stream is full of messages concerning developments on the Raiders in the last 10-15 years.

What surprises me is how knowledgeable people are on the salary cap. I was on the Board prior to the arrival of DJ and I was responsible for completing the salary cap forms. The system may have changed but the system was complicated and in my view you needed to be an accountant to fell them in. I had a number of meetings with RFL finance officers to make sure they were correctly completed. I would never be involved in the submission of any information that was knowingly incorrect.

As is well known the RFL did a detailed examination of DJs running of the Club and felt justified in giving him a 7 year ban. Like everybody else I enjoyed the 2009 season very much and certainly some of the signings were very impressive.

Just because rumours are rife that such and such a fiddle is being carried out does not make it correct and honest.

Good post Michael and thanks. But I think you would agree, rumours have always been rife in the club due mostly I think to the lack of transparency from previous boards. The new Chairman realises this and has got off to a great start in keeping the fans up to date with developments. it's the way forward and I thank him.

4 hours ago, Michael Ashton said:

Which comments are you saying are rubbish Michael? I find it interesting as on numerous times you have said 'Can't believe nobody has commented today or 'this forum is quiet' and now when a stream gets going you complain of rubbish comments. Can't have it all ways mucka.

Archived