Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dominic

International Divisions of Four - contested annually

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Bob8 said:

How about telling us where the money is as a first step, and then going from there

Or you could just make some suggestions as I have. I'm not saying any of mine are the way to go just putting some ideas out there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Excuse my harsh tone, but in what world would a global RL international programme constrict growth? 

That is the most ridiculous paragraph I have ever read on this site .... and I have read quite a few!

As for the funding, I have made in quite clear that in my view the whole concept MUST be funded BEFORE such a event goes ahead.  

OK.

It must be funded.  We agree.  Whatever commercial entitiy will pay for that then gets to have the games played to their requirements.


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely one way round the "finance" issue is to initially set up 2 or 3 divisions of 4 starting with Eng, Aus, NZ, Tonga and then invite nations to apply to join a division or create a new step on the ladder.  Nations therefore take responsibility for making sure they can afford to take part and fulfill each fixture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dominic said:

Surely one way round the "finance" issue is to initially set up 2 or 3 divisions of 4 starting with Eng, Aus, NZ, Tonga and then invite nations to apply to join a division or create a new step on the ladder.  Nations therefore take responsibility for making sure they can afford to take part and fulfill each fixture.

So tier 2/3 federations, who at the moment struggle to have an all year long club season, actually have to save every penny in order to pay for flights and hotels when they travel with national teams, often don't have money to develop the game... should "make sure they can afford" to join this à la Nations League competition with p/r. Hmm. ?


Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

So tier 2/3 federations, who at the moment struggle to have an all year long club season, actually have to save every penny in order to pay for flights and hotels when they travel with national teams, often don't have money to develop the game... should "make sure they can afford" to join this à la Nations League competition with p/r. Hmm. ?

Some years ago, when I was involved in such things, I stopped any travel that absolutely required a flight.  The cumulative costs were too expensive and that money would be better spent on kids, development and making more money.  I still consider that a good decision.

The question is how can rugby league in countries be made profitable.

One was is state backing and in that case it might be linked to international performance.  In that case, a proper system (not far off what we now have in the WC qualifiers) is sensible.  In poorer nations, the traditional player subs and get to watch amateur rugby league can work.  In rich countries, it might have to be a novelty act for hire for corporate interests or a wider professional interest.


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Some years ago, when I was involved in such things, I stopped any travel that absolutely required a flight.  The cumulative costs were too expensive and that money would be better spent on kids, development and making more money.  I still consider that a good decision.

The question is how can rugby league in countries be made profitable.

One was is state backing and in that case it might be linked to international performance.  In that case, a proper system (not far off what we now have in the WC qualifiers) is sensible.  In poorer nations, the traditional player subs and get to watch amateur rugby league can work.  In rich countries, it might have to be a novelty act for hire for corporate interests or a wider professional interest.

I think they are already saving money and spending it on development. This was not my point.

What I meant is that it's very very very tough to run rl in non tier 1 countries so a fixed tournament like the one proposed here would be simply impossible, for economic reasons, ecc.

 

  • Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

I think they are already saving money and spending it on development. This was not my point.

What I meant is that it's very very very tough to run rl in non tier 1 countries so a fixed tournament like the one proposed here would be simply impossible, for economic reasons, ecc.

 

How about a structure for the top nations such as test series and 4/6 nations plus Euro and Pacific cups. The nation's below this could play against their neighbours, either regional tournaments or friendlies as well as WC qualifiers.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...