SKY MONEY.

newbe

16 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

I think most would survive, they only get £75,000 Each in central fund distribution, what's that probably pay for? Home game venue lease & Away game travel? If earning a promotion to the championship was closed off for them, none would exist. 

I doubt it’s ‘ only ‘ 75 grand to any league one team 

26 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Do you have a source for this drop in money?

Yes, this is pure speculation.  As far as the football are concerned, the sums involved were becoming outrageous and it is no surprise that payments hit a wall.  Its not unreasonable to think we will get a fair deal ... assuming the SL product delivers.   The only thing that TV are interested in with RU are the internationals. Our offer has to be the league. 

A better and bigger highlights package, tied to Cup and internationals on terrestrial TV would be good. One wonders if Ch4 or 5 might work?

They need an operating budget to try and be as competitive as possible in tier 3 and even build towards promotion, more of the operating costs will be from gate admissions, season tickets, sponsors and merchandise sales than from central revenue distributions, any shortfalls have to be subsidised by ownerships. Losing that 75k would be hard on them but they'd still survive, take away promotion though, different kettle of fish and their reason for existing pretty much goes as well. 

8 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

They need an operating budget to try and be as competitive as possible in tier 3 and even build towards promotion, more of the operating costs will be from gate admissions, season tickets, sponsors and merchandise sales than from central revenue distributions, any shortfalls have to be subsidised by ownerships. Losing that 75k would be hard on them but they'd still survive

I'm not convinced they would in many cases.

Everything we hear indicates that many League 1 clubs are operating on incredibly tight budgets - literally its a hand-to-mouth existence. Only this season we had Keighley and Whitehaven teetering on the brink of collapsing and saying they had essentially run out of money.

What's the turnover of a mid-table League 1 club? I went to North Wales to see our game and it was £10 to get in - and the usual crowd seems to be about 300, sometimes less. So perhaps £2-3K in gate receipts per match, some minimal sponsorship and a few other bits and bobs. Annual turnover can't be much more than £120-£150K even including the £75K central distribution? Take away that £75K and I think almost every club in League 1 is going to go bust pretty quickly - its likely well over half of their total turnover.

I accept there's some pretty vague math involved in the paragraph above. Someone in the know feel free to correct me if I'm way off (I doubt that I am)

TL:DR League 1 clubs (and probably most of the Championship too) are running a really tight budget.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The only thing that TV are interested in with RU are the internationals. Our offer has to be the league. 

RU club games are on Channels 4 and 5 too.

30 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

RU club games are on Channels 4 and 5 too.

Yes. I know and agree. Are they interested in superleague games?  It would be nice to think.

There are many more stations than that on Freeview of course, and I think Quest do highlights of some football.

22 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm not convinced they would in many cases.

Everything we hear indicates that many League 1 clubs are operating on incredibly tight budgets - literally its a hand-to-mouth existence. Only this season we had Keighley and Whitehaven teetering on the brink of collapsing and saying they had essentially run out of money.

What's the turnover of a mid-table League 1 club? I went to North Wales to see our game and it was £10 to get in - and the usual crowd seems to be about 300, sometimes less. So perhaps £2-3K in gate receipts per match, some minimal sponsorship and a few other bits and bobs. Annual turnover can't be much more than £120-£150K even including the £75K central distribution? Take away that £75K and I think almost every club in League 1 is going to go bust pretty quickly - its likely well over half of their total turnover.

I accept there's some pretty vague math involved in the paragraph above. Someone in the know feel free to correct me if I'm way off (I doubt that I am)

TL:DR League 1 clubs (and probably most of the Championship too) are running a really tight budget.

Yes mate was some every quick lunch break maths, I agree with what you are saying. Some clubs will only be making 150k including the central funding and all the streams I mentioned, but operating costs are more than that. So as I've suggested, for every shirt sale and ticket sale not made in their business plan, these clubs will need to be subsidised by various models of ownership. For example the minimum annual payment for a Contracted player is 3k and a league 1 club needs 20 players contracted, the rest can be brought in from DR etc to make up a matchday 17.....that's 60k, then match fees at least £50 x 17.....£850 payment bare minimum every game. Home pitch hire £, away travel cost £, kits £, Teamwear £, insurance £, training equipment £, coaching staff £.......

Archived