• Ryan Wilson (West Hull)
  • Jamie Bristoe (Wigan St. Pats)
  • Ben Shulver (Hunslet Club Parkside)
  • Danny Williams (Siddal)
  • Matty Norton (Thatto Heath Crusaders)
  • Sam Rochford (Underbank Rangers),
  • Mike Stark (Thatto Heath Crusaders)
  • Paul Brearly (Rochdale Mayfield)

All these players are NCL based so I take it in order to play you must play for a NCL club.

The BARLA GB team which is going to Fiji is:-

Tom Hopkins - Askam

Mark Tyson - Askam

Sam Jones - Barrow

Jack Howdie - Beverley

Craig Savage - Lock Lane

Jack Clark - Cockermouth 

Byran Richie - Distington 

Matty Henson - Egremont 

Marcus O’Brien - Egremont 

Dean Gamble - Featherstone

Ian Jackson - Featherstone

Jordan Gibson - Haydock

Jamie Field - Hunslet CP

Andy Hullock - Hunslet CP

Robin Wilks - Milford 

Lee Postlewaite - Millom

Ethan Kelly - Millom

Aidey Gleason - Rochdale 

Dec Sheridan - Rochdale

Jack Jones - Thatto Heath

Andy Lea - Thatto Heath

Darrion Ball - Wigan St Judes

Danny Riding - Wigan St Pats

Reece Rushworth - York Acorn

So the above BARLA GB is made up mostly of NCL with a couple of regional lads in. So in order to be picked for BARLA you have to play in the county matches???, and to get in the England Lions you just have to play in the NCL???

Can anyone answer this 

Regarding playing for your county before being selected for barla gb, the county matches havent been played yet, so the pick for barla gb is either off last years county selection, so form of player is from last year's series, or name/previous selection and form of current playing season, although I'd be surprised if the current barla gb coaches have seen all those players play this season.

These teams are selected by the coaching staff who themselves normally come from a NCL club/background , I suppose this gives the lads playing in the NCL a slight advantage but sadly the guys playing in the regional winter and summer tend to get overlooked, this has been the same for a very long time now.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

26 minutes ago, Marauder said:

These teams are selected by the coaching staff who themselves normally come from a NCL club/background , I suppose this gives the lads playing in the NCL a slight advantage but sadly the guys playing in the regional winter and summer tend to get overlooked, this has been the same for a very long time now.

The gb community lions coach is the current thatto heath ncl coach, Richard Owen,  so he obviously sees the ncl premier players regularly. 

The barla gb coach is a Cumbrian, Gary Hewer,  but doesn't coach at any of the ncl teams, not sure but might be distington who he coaches, or did coach.

4 hours ago, usain bolt said:

The gb community lions coach is the current thatto heath ncl coach, Richard Owen,  so he obviously sees the ncl premier players regularly. 

The barla gb coach is a Cumbrian, Gary Hewer,  but doesn't coach at any of the ncl teams, not sure but might be distington who he coaches, or did coach.

Gary Hewer doesn't any RL team NOW, his last coaching post was for Carlisle RU

I see a poor lad from Millom who has been picked can’t go now as his broken his arm. Wonder which player will get a call up now. Also if a player who hasn’t played in county championship was to say have a staring role this season would they not get picked because they didn’t play last year??

Back in the day you used to have play for the inter-town then county before being eligible for selection but exceptions where made, we had a player (Kevin Nason) tour Australia in 1987 (I think) who hadn't played in the inter-town competition simply because Doncaster had not entered a team, this had the knock on of him missing out on county selection, however the BARLA selectors in Hull brought him and another one of our players (Steve Grayson) to the attention of the coaches/selectors.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Archived