Danny Brough signs for...

Now I understand, watched the highlights reel and its NSW Cup with Canberra, that will be where the coach knows him from, must think he will be able to do a job for him over here as he's been unable to hold down a starting place in a very poor Bulldogs side for the last couple of seasons. Not surprised he's moved Brough on, that was always on the cards from the day he arrived but I am surprised that Brough has got another gig in SL and with Wakefield too, I thought the plusses he brings had finally been outweighed by the negatives with age and diminishing accuracy of his goal kicking.  Certainly interesting times ahead for the rumour mill at Wakefield.

42 minutes ago, TBC said:

He can play either, but he's not very big. A great timer of a pass and a decent tackler. He played pre-season at halfback and was excellent. The Bulls colts had a Welsh junior international scrumhalf ... Cobi Green ... last season so Reiss played hooker.

Obviously, Kear wouldn't pick either of them even when we were short; he thought Elliott Minchella was a better option.

Don't know whether Cobi Green has been retained; he's a student at Leeds Uni  so would probably appreciate a part time contract if he's been made available.

Many years ago, I played in the same team as Reiss' grandfather!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

John Kear did not pick them because they were not good enough.Plenty of academy players have got through to first team level when they have been good enough.Wait and see if he makes it at Huddersfield before labelling him as 1st team material.He was not retained at Batley or Castleford and I presume Kear,Diskin and Powell can spot a good player better than you or I can.Where are you expecting him to get a game for Hudds. next season,they have just signed an Aussie,N.R.L. player so not there,O,Brien Kruise Leeming are way  ahead of him in the hooking role so not there.Maybe in time he may become a decent player but at the moment he is at academy level.Injuries however comes into play and maybe that is when he will get his chance and then it is up to him.

22 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

signing a half back that will be 36 next season just shows the lack of young talent coming through the system, shocking 

100% disagree. The talent is there, coaches atent good enough

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 10/29/2018 at 5:47 PM, graveyard johnny said:

signing a half back that will be 36 next season just shows the lack of young talent coming through the system, shocking 

But we have just signed Ben Reynolds and have Ryan Hampshire? Surely the 36 year old will pass on his knowledge to those two hence the signing?

f3gms4.jpg

33 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

But we have just signed Ben Reynolds and have Ryan Hampshire? Surely the 36 year old will pass on his knowledge to those two hence the signing?

Which type of knowledge do you want him to pass on? Be careful what you wish for ?

He is a handy player nonetheless 

Well at least he has the physical ability to still play rugby league,unlike  a washed up old crock who has just earned another years contract.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Well at least he has the physical ability to still play rugby league,unlike  a washed up old crock who has just earned another years contract.

You forget to some on here he's a deity who cannot be questioned, can't see it myself though all I can see is a snide g*t who should have been put out to pasture  (or shot) years ago.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:48 PM, Wolford6 said:

One thing about Huddersfield letting Danny Brough go is that Reiss Butterworth will get some gametime. He is a great prospect but Kear wouldn't pick him.

I’d be amazed if Butterworth gets any gametime at all.

I don’t like being negative about any player especially a youngster but Reiss won’t feature unless there’s a disastrous injury crisis at The Giants.

Theres good reason why Kear won’t pick him, Castleford sent him back and Batley didn’t want to keep him. Please don’t make me elaborate because I don’t want to bag the kid by stripping his faults down in public.

sorry, but as you keep throwing him up in conversation I felt I needed to counter with some truth.

Your ignorance is quite stunning - so signing Hampshire and Reynolds two under 23 year old half backs doesn’t count or add any balance.

You’re so desperate to sound snide and negative I bet you never even checked and now you look especially stupid.

Not convinced by the signing myself but nothing to do with age. Having a seasoned pro in a team to help mentor two young players is hardly revolutionary it’s just sensible.

So go on say the following and show some contrition - ‘sorry all I got it wrong as I didn’t check my facts’.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, Kirmonds pouch said:

Your ignorance is quite stunning - so signing Hampshire and Reynolds two under 23 year old half backs doesn’t count or add any balance.

You’re so desperate to sound snide and negative I bet you never even checked and now you look especially stupid.

Not convinced by the signing myself but nothing to do with age. Having a seasoned pro in a team to help mentor two young players is hardly revolutionary it’s just sensible.

So go on say the following and show some contrition - ‘sorry all I got it wrong as I didn’t check my facts’.

you know what? your right, the youngsters will benefit from having brough around, I bet they have no idea where all wakeys cheap ale houses are or where the best bookies is

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

you know what? your right, the youngsters will benefit from having brough around, I bet they have no idea where all wakeys cheap ale houses are or where the best bookies is

Bit out of touch there matey, all the young uns gamble on line.

And I don't know about the rest of you, as long as the ale is good, cheaper the better in my opinion.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:15 PM, MattSantos said:

100% disagree. The talent is there, coaches atent good enough

Ditto Hull FC, we've been plundering other teams kids for the last 5 years under Radford/Andy Last and resigned a couple of has beens in Talanoa and Washbrook plus some lower league players who haven't made an impact and even a union kid. Also retaining big earners Minichello and Manu, one of whom should have been released. All the whilst our youth continually gets shafted and released. We might have one player who has debuted in the last 5 years from the youth system to actually be in the first XVII next year

Unless Brough is on peanuts, changes his ways and maybe looking to use him as a coach sometime in the future (not sure that's his bag tbh) then I really don't think this is a good addition/good use of SC for wakey. 

40 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

So basically the Huddersfield players have been immune from his evil charms for eight years. However the weak willed players of Wakefield will succumb immediately - interesting.

16 minutes ago, Eleftherios said:

Interesting times indeed, Chester has a good track record for signings, if he thinks it's a good signing and Carter thinks it's a good deal for the club I can't really argue with the decision.

Indeed - no one in the game's infallible, but the Carter/Chester decision making axis does seem to be working ok.

Archived