4 Nov: England v New Zealand KO 2.30pm (BBC TV)

Who will win?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12
    • England by 1 to 6
    • Draw
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/18 at 14:30

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

So you want any player shaping to kick to be allowed to do as he wants?

You'll notice I said full hit. The tackler has the responsibility to get there on time, if he doesn't he can't just throw his body at him. 

You are basically allowing off the ball tackles.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JonM said:

That's irrelevant though. The law is there to protect the kicker from injury. Tackle him after the ball has gone and it's a penalty. Same thing if you tackle round the head when the player sidestepped.

If we had a rule which stated 'Any tackle on a kicker after the ball has gone is a penalty' then it would ruin the game. You literally see it happen all the time. How often do you see someone do a grubber kick and someone tackles his legs half a second after he has kicked the ball? No one bat's an eye lid. 

People are getting annoyed due to the force of the tackle. The force of the tackle is only relevant when it's late. If the tackle isn't late then the force doesn't matter. 

We watch the greatest game. I must confess that I thought Makinson had been over praised and that Lomax and Hodgson were rubbish. I know nothing. Whereas Bennett has the makings of a decent coach. Brilliant match, great atmosphere and a near perfect display of international rugby. 

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I called one from Graham last week in the first few minutes which went unpunished. I can’t recall any uproar on here and that was much later than Bromwich’s effort.

It's not England fans jobs to appeal for the Kiwis.

I think 2 games in which we have more than competed and ended up winning against a strong NZ team has been really enjoyable.

I think some on here need to stop over obsessing about the selection of a few of the team, because whichever way you cut it if you go out looking for a players mistakes all game and disregarding their positive contributions you will inevitably come away feeling like their performance underwhelmed you. At the same time you are sounding like a broken record and boring the rest of us who enjoy the game.

Ps as a Robin begrudging respect to Connor and his attacking centre play. Some great passes for Makinson.

3 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I don't think the hits were late and were unfairly punished.

If the player doesn't have hold of the ball, it is late.

If we don't think tacklers are happy to go a split second late on purpose, we are being naive.

Wonderful test match.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Dave T said:

If the player doesn't have hold of the ball, it is late.

If we don't think tacklers are happy to go a split second late on purpose, we are being naive.

Of course they do and it is something that all coaches would encourage to rattle and put pressure on the kicker. It is also something that all teams do.

13 minutes ago, mt smart said:

Well deserved series win by England. Pretty tough going staying up till three AM for coverage to start here...but the quality of the tests have made it worth it,

I think this England side would take out the new look Aussie Line up, real shame we dont get to see it.

I thought England would be too strong at home for my lot before this series started, and that didnt change after NZ beat the Roos.

England are a very frustrating side to play, they grind well....are patient...and have the class in their backline to hurt you on the edges with rappid shifts.

Would love to see some of these guys play NRL.

Sooner that than them going to the other code

Once again England keep a quality team to just two tries. The resilience of this team is exceptional.

I am old enough to remember Great Britain/England teams who were guaranteed to capitulate in close games. We have the professionalism and strength of character to win these now.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I don’t think you can argue that Bromwich is going to make some kind of contact but he follows through as though Tomkins still holds possession of the ball. 

because when he makes the decision to tackle he has no idea what Tomkins might do, he could side step, he cpuld dummy to pass, he could hold the ball etc. In that short space of time between Tomkins doing what he does next (or any other player) the brain does not have enough time to process and then change that into a mechanical action. You can rely on instinct of you like but playing committed sport you have to go with what you see in the moment and act on that otherwise pulling out or being half hearted you'll fail and get done by a player like Tomkins.

Sorry but I totally disagree with yours and others thoughts on this, when it's obviously late, sure, you can pull out, but the contact we are discussing here there's little the player can do other than make a committed tackle based on what he sees. You cannot change human physiology nor how quick the brains capacity to process info any quicker than our synapses can do..

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Once again England keep a quality team to just two tries. The resilience of this team is exceptional.

I am old enough to remember Great Britain/England teams who were guaranteed to capitulate in close games. We have the professionalism and strength of character to win these now.

You’d only need to be 12 to remember 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

37 minutes ago, Chamey said:

Ultimately if they had someone who could actually defend on the wing there the series would be 1-1.

If my Auntie had stones she would be my Uncle. If, if, if, England 2-0 New Zealand. You play the game in front of you not in hindsight. If England had a devastating centre they would have won by more, if England had Sam Burgess and James Roby on they could have won by more.... You get my drift?

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Of course they do and it is something that all coaches would encourage to rattle and put pressure on the kicker. It is also something that all teams do.

You seriously believe a coach can tell his players to react a split second late? A split second? 

rldfsignature.jpg

So looking forward to getting to Elland Road and getting a chance to see our boys in person.

Have not read much of the thread, but 2021 looks like being the perfect time for this team to be have a home World Cup. I am particularly relieved to see Williams stepping up and showing he can do for England what he does for his club - great defence, his runs keep the defence honest, and good for at least one try created or scored. There will be so much competition for places in this side. 

John Bateman on the red button just now, saying how happy he was about England "winning the thingy". :biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived