Where are Sheffield getting their money?

51 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well Aston needs to buy lots of players as he doesn’t want to use  dual reg does he ? No siree , hates it . Would never use it ...those other clubs that do ...

It's the last resort for clubs that are on their a**e - it really doesn't work other than a sticking plaster. It was either that or bye bye Eagles, which I'm sure would have pleased a lot of fans who'd like nothing better than for RL to be played by 3 clubs within walking distance of their house.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tim2 said:

It's the last resort for clubs that are on their a**e - it really doesn't work other than a sticking plaster. It was either that or bye bye Eagles, which I'm sure would have pleased a lot of fans who'd like nothing better than for RL to be played by 3 clubs within walking distance of their house.

That’s why you should always be wary of being superior and calling other clubs . You never know whats round the corner or what situation other teams are in

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

From what I've heard thats about upgrading Sheffield Collegiate up to 1st class level so that it can be used as an out ground. YCCC have also done something at Bradford PA too iirc.

Sheffield is a bit like Liverpool I guess. Football mad. Perhaps our strategy should be different. 

That's a cop out imo, Sheffield Steelers came from nothing and do pretty well with crowds in the city.  RL always has an excuse at the ready for poorly run clubs.

on holiday this year I was telling 3 guys from Sheffield  (football fans in their late 40s early 50s)about them beating wigan at Wembley and it been one of the biggest sporting upsets in history- they knew nothing about it or had any knowledge of it= felt sad at that

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

That's a cop out imo, Sheffield Steelers came from nothing and do pretty well with crowds in the city.  RL always has an excuse at the ready for poorly run clubs.

It's arguable that between 1999 and the loss of Don Valley (followed by the calamatous decision to go full-time) Sheffield were one of the best run clubs in RL. They never had a big investor and always stayed within budget, rising to the Championship and winning it twice.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just now, tim2 said:

It's arguable that between 1999 and the loss of Don Valley (followed by the calamatous decision to go full-time) Sheffield were one of the best run clubs in RL. They never had a big investor and always stayed within budget, rising to the Championship and winning it twice.

Maybe on the pitch, but in terms of engaging the city and new supporters very much not.  

Just now, Tre Cool said:

Maybe on the pitch, but in terms of engaging the city and new supporters very much not.  

The comparison with the Steelers is a bit unfair - their roster is packed with Canadians and they are in the top league. With the same funding and being allowed to roster 15 Aussies and Kiwis the Eagles would be in Super League, where you may remember they got crowds of 4000+ on a regular basis. It's a lot easier to advertise and engage when you play with full-time players in the top division.

19 minutes ago, tim2 said:

The comparison with the Steelers is a bit unfair - their roster is packed with Canadians and they are in the top league. With the same funding and being allowed to roster 15 Aussies and Kiwis the Eagles would be in Super League, where you may remember they got crowds of 4000+ on a regular basis. It's a lot easier to advertise and engage when you play with full-time players in the top division.

The top league of ice hockey has zero profile and no tv money.  RL has a huge head start on ice hockey.  Ice hockey clubs in the UK are so much more progressive than the build it and hope they'll come mentality of most UK RL clubs. 

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

on holiday this year I was telling 3 guys from Sheffield  (football fans in their late 40s early 50s)about them beating wigan at Wembley and it been one of the biggest sporting upsets in history- they knew nothing about it or had any knowledge of it= felt sad at that

Few years ago I was sat in a pub half way down the slope in Robin Hoods Bay talking League with a couple of people who lived in the area but use to live near Sheffield . One had put a lot of volunteering effort into the game both professional and into the amateur side . Both watched the Eagles on a regular basis  . Cant remember names as I was on the Old Peculiar 

12 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Stevo?

Possibly.It is all the talk in Australia.

They are even leaving the question scrawled on toilet walls in the pubs - and in the airport.

' Where are Sheffield Eagles getting their money?'

We may find out.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

The top league of ice hockey has zero profile and no tv money.  RL has a huge head start on ice hockey.  Ice hockey clubs in the UK are so much more progressive than the build it and hope they'll come mentality of most UK RL clubs. 

You do have a point about small time thinking.

I may equally ask - with no TV deal, where does ice hockey get its money from?

3 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Sponsorship and attendances i guess.  Maybe some tv money from European comps?

They are obviously not as obsessed with attendances as in RL - I can't find any published figures for attendance at Steelers' last game.

They are struggling this year - tonight's game against Coventry has all tickets at £5. I suspect selling sponsorship for a game indoors at the Arena is easier than a Sunday afternoon game of RL in a near open field in February.

In other differences - the league is franchised, allows owners to own more than one team and has a huge turnover of defunct clubs.

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

They are obviously not as obsessed with attendances as in RL - I can't find any published figures for attendance at Steelers' last game.

They are struggling this year - tonight's game against Coventry has all tickets at £5. I suspect selling sponsorship for a game indoors at the Arena is easier than a Sunday afternoon game of RL in a near open field in February.

In other differences - the league is franchised, allows owners to own more than one team and has a huge turnover of defunct clubs.

Sheffield average last year 5297

Nottingham average last year 5692

Pretty good for a foreign sport in 2 soccer cities.  Better than half of our SL clubs.

31 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Sheffield average last year 5297

Nottingham average last year 5692

Pretty good for a foreign sport in 2 soccer cities.  Better than half of our SL clubs.

Average attendance across all games was 2500. Most of them play in arenas with capacity less than that.

32 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Average attendance across all games was 2500. Most of them play in arenas with capacity less than that.

Im not sure what point you're making?  My point is a "foreign" sport in a "soccer" city can attract a good fanbase by identifying a target market and selling to them.

24 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Im not sure what point you're making?  My point is a "foreign" sport in a "soccer" city can attract a good fanbase by identifying a target market and selling to them.

And being in the top league, protected from relegation, for 27 years. Even then, they've had difficulties.

Archived