KARL OLSTROM RESIGNS FOR 2019

WTRLFC WEBSITE

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Fan33 said:

Easily replace by who round here?? We will be paying a lot more for someone to come up the m6 than he will of been on.. I will be really gutted if he has gone to the dark side. Must be the Jonty that has got him to go that way if true! 

I wouldn't go as far as saying "gutted".  Decent player when he is fit but replaceable IMO.  Missed a fair few games through injury

1 hour ago, Hate the rec said:

Sam Forrester is Havens announcement tomorrow. 

We move on , work to fill the gap , and good luck to the lad if so , but honestly that would be a bit of a blow . He looked really solid , safe and a good local fullback who’s progressing well . He’d have been one I wouldn’t have wanted to lose tbh

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We move on , work to fill the gap , and good luck to the lad if so , but honestly that would be a bit of a blow . He looked really solid , safe and a good local fullback who’s progressing well . He’d have been one I wouldn’t have wanted to lose tbh

Is sam the lad that’s rapid ? 

14 minutes ago, town4me said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying "gutted".  Decent player when he is fit but replaceable IMO.  Missed a fair few games through injury

Yeah did miss a few games with injures but still mangaged to be our second top try scorer this year aswell but as you say we will move on just a good local we are losing. Maybe could get mellor on loan or something coz at present moment out of last yours squad I don’t see a full back there on our books. 

6 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

Is sam the lad that’s rapid ? 

He’s not rapid as Tee is rapid . But he’s fast enough hence he can play wing and can finish a chance if he gets the service all day . I know this happens and you fill in the pieces but you still want as many good players as possible and he was one 

Sam has done it all as an amatuer and had a few bad injuries but he is class and Its a shame he is going as he was really good at the end of the season but fair play.

Again it's my opinion we may well struggle unless Leon pulls something out of the bag. If fui and Ollie were to sign back they would be  39 and 57 years of age so couldn't be expected to play every week.

As for Mellor I think there  be at least a championship club in for him but we will see.

Good thing is we seem to have continued our partnership with the giants coming to play again so hopefully we can get some of there youth or fringe players mamo would do.

Sam is a good player yes.... but put it into a bit of context, he was one of the top earners out of the “local” lads from what I’ve been told, does he really justify big money when he spends 50% of the season injured? I know injuries aren’t his fault however I personally think his money could be better invested.

2 hours ago, Fan33 said:

Easily replace by who round here?? We will be paying a lot more for someone to come up the m6 than he will of been on.. I will be really gutted if he has gone to the dark side. Must be the Jonty that has got him to go that way if true! 

Or it could be money, or it could be Leon didn’t want him, there could be a number of reasons.

Personally I would have preferred to keep him but I’m not as bothered as I would be if we’d lost say Olstrom, Doran or Miller.

Only time will tell.

Nobody's forgetting anything about Sam. 

He's a good player, a solid player , is he X factor full back, no,  is he reliable, relatively mistake free , yes and supports well which is where his tries generally come from. 

Not sure if he'll get full back as Haven have signed Burns back on. Another poster said burns will play centre, but they've got Parker, mossop, Taylor & possibly Holliday for that position. 

So could be a wing birth if Sam goes there which is a backward step after he became No1 full back here. 

Good luck to him if he goes. He will have his reasons.

Never heard a bad word said about him. 

14 hours ago, Fan33 said:

........ coz at present moment out of last yours squad I don’t see a full back there on our books. 

Don't you? Rooke's first game for us was as FB and I see a lot of potential there. He will offer a lot more in attack than Forrester who was sound defensively sure but I like to see more threat at FB and I think that's what Rooke would provide.

8 minutes ago, Oneday said:

Don't you? Rooke's first game for us was as FB and I see a lot of potential there. He will offer a lot more in attack than Forrester who was sound defensively sure but I like to see more threat at FB and I think that's what Rooke would provide.

Rookie is a great little player but no way is he a full back at this level, it's a hard place to play defensively and he hasn't got the knowhow in this respect 

33 minutes ago, Oneday said:

Scott is certainly much quicker than Sam, would need to beef up a bit for FB though

4 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Scott is certainly much quicker than Sam, would need to beef up a bit for FB though

Agreed . I’d worry about putting him there defensively and physically . At present he seems best suited on the wing when his chance comes 

4 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

What your stating is an opinion.

Everything people are saying about Rooke was being said about Sam in the past

Rooke isn't in the same bracket as Sam unfortunately, saying that he is a great little player who always gives 100% but as a winger not a full back. He isn't intelligent enough to play full back defensively, sometimes he doesn't know how to defend on the wing..... If you think that's just my opinion, ask Leon he'll say exactly the same 

8 minutes ago, oldrake9 said:

Rooke isn't in the same bracket as Sam unfortunately, saying that he is a great little player who always gives 100% but as a winger not a full back. He isn't intelligent enough to play full back defensively, sometimes he doesn't know how to defend on the wing..... If you think that's just my opinion, ask Leon he'll say exactly the same 

That's were coaching comes in to play. Rooke does a great job on the wing but there is potential to make him into a good full back a position he has played a lot of in his earlier days

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

17 minutes ago, Fan33 said:

Everyone has a opinion and that was mine. I don’t mean it upset anyone but some comments are laughable 

Your comments may be laughable to some but everyone’s entitled to an opinion.

Sam and Scott aren’t in the same bracket unfortunately, but I’m sure their wages will reflect that. Sam’s replacement needs to be better than he was or it’s a backward step. Mellor would do for me.

Archived