Sign in to follow this  
Johnoco

Suicide/Mental Issues

5 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Last night I read this sentence;

Being silent isn't being strong.

13 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

This is actually part of how I have reframed my depression and in particular talking about it more openly. I think at times it can feel a bit weak to be sad over nothing or to feel that without good reason, you don't want to do the things you usually enjoy. If I can 1) continue to live my life 2) talk about it with others, then I'm actually doing something which makes me pretty tough! 

Anti-depressants have been genuinely life-changing since I started them two months ago. I think I already was pretty good in terms of dealing with my depression, for example I'd still exercise, have a social life, not miss work and so on, but it feels like I now have a new "normal". I'm exercising loads more, actively making plans rather than just responding to others, I have a lot more energy (particularly in the mornings) and my mood is better. The doctor said he hardly ever sees such a positive response, particularly so quickly, so I do wonder if the other work I was doing for my depression has made a difference. It's all the more surprising because having read a lot on the subject of depression, I know the issues that anti-depressants often have and how they can often be comparably effective to placebo - I didn't expect them to work for me really. 

Indeed, being silent is just being silent, although it communicates something. What is more natural than talking? Being active, making plans, even very short term ones and having things to which one can look forward are all important. The difficulty with depression and some forms of anxiety, is often that getting started, and getting going, can feel insurmountable. 

I may well have posted this before, but anxiety and depression are normal parts of the human experience, as evidenced by the number of people who experience them. When we feel down, depressed etc we often feel that we are weak, weird, defective, inadequate, bonkers etc, and the self-criticism can make us feel worse.

Keep buggering on. (KBO.)

Over the last two days I've done a training course to become a qualified Mental Health First Aider! I wasn't sure what the course was going to be like but it was genuinely really beneficial. The fact that my employer have put 50 people through this course (at ~£300 each) shows that progress is being made, however gradually. If anyone is any position of influence, lobby for these to be introduced in your workplace.

One thing I did find interesting was that Employment Assistance Programs are apparently the fastest way to access counselling in the UK. It varies by employer but often you'll be able to get free counselling, and it also sometimes extends to other adults in the family. If anyone is struggling, this is probably worth looking into!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I won't go into too much detail at this point but I suffer from grief related depression. In my first job back, I opened up about what happened and some nasty people at work tried to use that against me. Like applying for a team leader role so I didn't get it etc. So I have only told a few people at my current place of work as confidents. My persona at work is a pretty daft one, to keep myself going as it were. The worst part of this though and the naivety and ignorance of people is if I opened up and told people what happen they'd say "You're joking aren't you?" Grrr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

People may, or may not, understand the following: I have done very little this weekend, there were things I wanted to do, things I should have done and I haven't done any of it.

Looking at it it would be deemed laziness or bone-idleness, but I simply struggle to care about stuff for myself. I have no deadline at home, no reason to tidy up, etc. so I don't. I've said before but CBA is a dangerous acronym.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

People may, or may not, understand the following: I have done very little this weekend, there were things I wanted to do, things I should have done and I haven't done any of it.

Looking at it it would be deemed laziness or bone-idleness, but I simply struggle to care about stuff for myself. I have no deadline at home, no reason to tidy up, etc. so I don't. I've said before but CBA is a dangerous acronym.

I've been there. In the past I would write daily to do lists looking for small wins, even if it is just "clean one plate".

I would also suggest you go to the GP if you haven't already. These things often don't resolve themselves unprompted.

On an unrelated note, the Zero Suicide Alliance offer free online suicide prevention training. It takes less than half an hour and I found it useful:

https://www.relias.co.uk/zero-suicide-alliance/form

• Like 1

Do you have Men’s Sheds in the UK?

They are all over Australia and have proven to be invaluable for improving the lives of men. They have men from all walks of life attend. Governments here now fund and build them.

They are based on the idea that men talk when doing things shoulder to shoulder instead of face to face.

Men go there to talk, learn woodworking skills and other things or just to hang out in silence. 

Edited by Copa
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Copa said:

They are all over Australia and have proven to be invaluable for improving the lives of men. They have men from all walks of life attend. Governments here now fund and build them.

They are based on the idea that men talk when doing things shoulder to shoulder instead of face to face.

Men go there to talk, learn woodworking skills and other things or just to hang out in silence. 

I've never heard of anything like that here in the UK. Perhaps there is something similar.

Sounds like a great idea. I could be wrong, but Australia seems to be taking mental health slightly more seriously than here.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

21 hours ago, Copa said:

Yes we do have them over here, though I'm not sure that they are as well known as they should be

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Industria ditat said:

Yes we do have them over here, though I'm not sure that they are as well known as they should be

I've never heard of them.

Can I ask if you've ever heard of Beyond Blue?

1 hour ago, Industria ditat said:

No, haven't heard of them.

It's an Australian organisation that provides information and support for people with mental health issues. I probably first noticed it on the NRL.com website. If such info about Aussie mental health is available so easily, why isn't it the same with British organisations?

37 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

It's an Australian organisation that provides information and support for people with mental health issues. I probably first noticed it on the NRL.com website. If such info about Aussie mental health is available so easily, why isn't it the same with British organisations?

You’d like to think best practice is shared by medical professionals worldwide, but perhaps it isn’t?

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You’d like to think best practice is shared by medical professionals worldwide, but perhaps it isn’t?

This isn't going to disappear, it seems to be getting worse, and it will require more resources to try and stem the flow.

Society doesn't get it.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What would you like to see happen?

Improvement in all areas of mental health care.

Better education regarding mental health.

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

We also have these mental health  commercials on NRL sites: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06/05/dont-stay-on-the-sideline-of-mental-health/ 

I’ve also seen Raiders players talking about mental health issues in the community.

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

We also have these mental health  commercials on NRL sites: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06/05/dont-stay-on-the-sideline-of-mental-health/ 

I’ve also seen Raiders players talking about mental health issues in the community.

Players seem to be open to talking about this issue, even in the UK, there seems to be an improvement.

4 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I haven't had a drink since going back onto fluoxetine. September 1st was my last alcoholic drink. 

I used to be on fluoxetine, when I first noticed it wasn't just anxiety that was a problem. That was about 8 years.

53 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Improvement in all areas of mental health care.

Better education regarding mental health.

I agree with you on both counts, but feel that there’s a political dimension to health funding which means we don’t see real equality between concern for physical and mental health unfortunately although that doesn’t mean we should stop lobbying for it.

I’d also like to see greater focus on identification, intervention and prevention when it comes to mental healthcare and community care.

I do feel though, to take us full circle to your earlier comment, that as a society we all have to take greater responsibility for caring for others and also our own mental health.  This could range from recognising early warning signs to talking, listening and taking action.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

My own mental health problems make it difficult for me to reply to certain questions at some times regarding the subject.

How would we go about identifying, intervening and preventing problems regarding mental health?

22 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

My own mental health problems make it difficult for me to reply to certain questions at some times regarding the subject.

How would we go about identifying, intervening and preventing problems regarding mental health?

I’m talking more about trained mental health professionals in that paragraph, but I think all of us can play some part in that through conversation and listening.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m talking more about trained mental health professionals in that paragraph, but I think all of us can play some part in that through conversation and listening.

I agree that all of us who have had or have problems could be helpful if and when it is needed. Someone might be open to sharing issues, others might be reluctant. Unfortunately, there isn't a one size fits all. The issues one can face might make them less inclined to seek help.

• Like 1