Sign in to follow this  
Johnoco

Suicide/Mental Issues

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's nothing to be proud of.

Ironically, I’ve been on the end of some people’s upset in the past when I’ve quoted information to support my arguments available in the public domains of some of these sites quoted. Not only do some folk abstain from using this source of information to form their own opinions, they also deny its worth when used as evidence against. Granted, if takes more and more and more sifting to ensure accuracy, but it is not without its positives. 

That said, some of the cowardly bullying facilitated by social media platforms is quite simply in humane. 

• Like 1

Gingerjohn,

I did not say I was proud of it, merely that I have better thingsto do than read about other peoples private lives and gossip. As for the papers,the only thing you can believe what you read in them is the date at the top of the page.I manage to get what information I need concerning R.L. is available in R.L. E.  or other R.L. magazines.I can even read about politics if I want now on R.L.E forums.Why waste money on the garbage printed in the Dailys

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Gingerjohn,

I did not say I was proud of it, merely that I have better thingsto do than read about other peoples private lives and gossip. As for the papers,the only thing you can believe what you read in them is the date at the top of the page.I manage to get what information I need concerning R.L. is available in R.L. E.  or other R.L. magazines.I can even read about politics if I want now on R.L.E forums.Why waste money on the garbage printed in the Dailys

I think GJ might have been alluding to the fact that social media is a 21st century news outlet, not just the intrusive gossip platform you rightly (IMO) deplore. 

Whilst there’s significant filtering is required, platforms like twitter are excellent for finding out information first, in good time or for free.

12 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Gingerjohn,

The papers are biased and social media is a bit of a trudge. We know that. But if you're not reading them then what do you actually base any of your opinions about anything on?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And, for reference, posting on an internet messageboard is as much social media as any posting on twitter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I would not know about that,as I have said I do not use Twitter, never have. I would not have a clue how to even set it up. You see my phone is an old Pay as you go phone.£10 per year is all I put on my phone. It is purely for emergencies, no Internet, no cameras, no videos, just ring out or answer that is enough for me.

As for getting the Info I need, I watch the BBC news at 6 o clock every night to find out if anything interests me, usually not.As I have posted I can get my fill of Politics now on the R,L.E forum.No need for a newspaper.I would imagine social media could be a very valuable tool to have for a vast majority of people. I just do not want to be bothered with it.

• Thanks 1

As tragic as the end result was, we can’t just have the CPS not prosecuting people because they threaten to kill themselves. I initially thought it was a bit of a joke that she’d attacked her fella but it seems like it was a pretty serious attack. And as others have alluded, partners trying to withdraw the complaint is not a trustworthy reason, for various reasons. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

As tragic as the end result was, we can’t just have the CPS not prosecuting people because they threaten to kill themselves. I initially thought it was a bit of a joke that she’d attacked her fella but it seems like it was a pretty serious attack. And as others have alluded, partners trying to withdraw the complaint is not a trustworthy reason, for various reasons. 

http://news.sky.com/story/caroline-flack-why-did-cps-pursue-stars-case-despite-boyfriend-withdrawing-complaint-11936287

Thought this summed it up pretty well. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fairfolly said:

I would not know about that,as I have said I do not use Twitter, never have. I would not have a clue how to even set it up. You see my phone is an old Pay as you go phone.£10 per year is all I put on my phone. It is purely for emergencies, no Internet, no cameras, no videos, just ring out or answer that is enough for me.

As for getting the Info I need, I watch the BBC news at 6 o clock every night to find out if anything interests me, usually not.As I have posted I can get my fill of Politics now on the R,L.E forum.No need for a newspaper.I would imagine social media could be a very valuable tool to have for a vast majority of people. I just do not want to be bothered with it.

im with u on this, don't need a smartfone, twitter or facebook, never have done

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

im with u on this, don't need a smartfone, twitter or facebook, never have done

You’re missing out mate, seriously.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

As hard as it may be for the guy, he no longer has to live with the (alleged) threat of nasty physical violence.

In Australia we often joke that after certain men (family guys, local leaders etc) go wild and are arrested for committing acts of violence, the media is full of comments about how he was/is a nice guy. Their previous public image and influence has a momentum that continues in the face of the incriminating evidence.

Edited by Copa

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You’re missing out mate, seriously.

I have a massive circle of friends - am heavily involved in the gig scene, am out every weekend im not missing out on anything mate 

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I have a massive circle of friends - am heavily involved in the gig scene, am out every weekend im not missing out on anything mate 

I didn’t say you were stuck in the house or anything and I certainly understand where you are coming from. But I can guarantee you are missing out on bands/radio shows/freebies. My brother has a similar outlook to you and is also wrong.

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I didn’t say you were stuck in the house or anything and I certainly understand where you are coming from. But I can guarantee you are missing out on bands/radio shows/freebies. My brother has a similar outlook to you and is also wrong.

nah don't think so

https://mixabilly.com/

6 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Me to , I do this board , occasionally RLfans to see what the more ' normal ' Leythers think of results 

I do have a contract phone ,but it doesn't have a camera or internet ( which is a pain at times when prospective customers want to send me pictures of their jobs ) , I have no need of twit or face or Instagram 

News , as you say , normal TV channels 

56 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Wrong ?

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Wrong. Opposite of right. 

Well I do agree missing out on what people are having for their breakfast,dinner,tea bothers me immensely , but on the plus side I don't nearly get run over when crossing the road 

So am I ' missing out ' ? , In you opinion yes , am I bothered ? No 

When I go to a football,rugby match I watch it through fresh air , not through a screen , unlike half the population I see on the TV 

55 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well I do agree missing out on what people are having for their breakfast,dinner,tea bothers me immensely , but on the plus side I don't nearly get run over when crossing the road 

So am I ' missing out ' ? , In you opinion yes , am I bothered ? No 

When I go to a football,rugby match I watch it through fresh air , not through a screen , unlike half the population I see on the TV 

You don’t get what I mean, I aren’t on about trivia like that. What I’m on about is that, for instance he’s a big radio fan and listens to Radio 4 a lot. But he misses lots of programmes due to being at work/out. I’ve often said he needs to get BBC Sounds App or something but he gives an argument like G J. But it’s him who’s missing out because of a stubborn refusal to accept that it’s not all bad. 

But that aside, even the trivial stuff can keep people in touch who otherwise might never be in contact for years. I don’t think that’s a bad thing. 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

You don’t get what I mean, I aren’t on about trivia like that. What I’m on about is that, for instance he’s a big radio fan and listens to Radio 4 a lot. But he misses lots of programmes due to being at work/out. I’ve often said he needs to get BBC Sounds App or something but he gives an argument like G J. But it’s him who’s missing out because of a stubborn refusal to accept that it’s not all bad. 

But that aside, even the trivial stuff can keep people in touch who otherwise might never be in contact for years. I don’t think that’s a bad thing. 

It's not all bad , but like you say lots of it is trivial , I don't feel the need to be constantly entertained with triviality , I'm happy with my own company and my social interaction , ie , talking to people face to face 

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

So what do you listen to that on? The wireless? 😂

my computer and its not facebook twitter Instagram etc etc

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It's not all bad , but like you say lots of it is trivial , I don't feel the need to be constantly entertained with triviality , I'm happy with my own company and my social interaction , ie , talking to people face to face 

Ok, That’s fair enough.

But what about people who for whatever reason have withdrawn from social circles? As bad as it can be, some aspects of social media can actually be a life saver. 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

my computer and its not facebook twitter Instagram etc etc

So what’s wrong with being able to listen to shows like that in your car? On holiday? Wherever? This is the advantage.

But let’s not drift away too much from the original point of the thread.