New NCL Teams

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trevor Hunt said in last weeks League Express that ten clubs were showing an interest in applying to join the NCL. On the downside, four or five clubs were considering quitting with one club facing financial problems. He did say they will be talking to these clubs to try and get a solution. 

Just out of interest,what arethe facilities like at these clubs.Generally speaking,most amateur clubs need to do what they can to improve facilities.Not sure what might be available in terms of grants,loans,Sports England,lottery RFL etc.To retain players,sponsors,spectators clubs need to offer what they can in terms of clubhouse,pitches,floodlights,parking etc.

12 hours ago, shawy13 said:

Walney have applied and I was told the other day that Distington have as well. 

May as well just let everyone in now 

Distington have been turned down according to the news papers. As has been said Hensingham's season fell to pieces with a run of bad results followed by forfeiting games including a cup semi final I think and Walney were reluctant to travel as part of the cumbria mens league set up

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

21 hours ago, cookey said:

Just out of interest,what are the facilities like at these clubs.Generally speaking,most amateur clubs need to do what they can to improve facilities.Not sure what might be available in terms of grants,loans,Sports England,lottery RFL etc.To retain players,sponsors,spectators clubs need to offer what they can in terms of clubhouse,pitches,floodlights,parking etc.

Only been to Distington. They've got a decent clubhouse close to the pitch and changing rooms right next to it. On the downside, there's very little hardstanding, a small amount of cover and no floodlights. Which makes it better than some NCL set-ups! The (very wet) day I went, for a Challenge Cup tie last season, the pitch didn't look great.

Speaking to one of the junior coaches and he said 8 teams applied ( not sure how accurate this info is) 

Gloucester 
Nottingham 
Batley Boys
East Hull
Heworth
Queensbury
Walney
Hensingham

Although with them setting up a Southern League I’d expect Gloucester and Nottingham to apply there now instead. 

Archived