New NCL Teams

4 hours ago, chisholm said:

Sorry Celtic,on this occasion your wrong it was nothing to do with the fine. It was a last minute turn around by all involved at the club with a wish to complete all fixtures and they did ! Then rebuild as they are doing now. Think your contact at the NCL is believing the management propoganda. 

I heard the same story from Fev Lions as they they were due to play IRB and they cancelled on the Friday morning saying they were puling out of the league, a couple of hours later they were asked if they could still play as IRB had a change of mind as they thought they wouldnt be fined. Not sure why anyone would make that up  

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It always strikes me as odd why there's no pyramid system through Rugby League. I've seen all of the YML sides who appear to have applied for NCL in 2018. Batley had by far the strongest playing strength (though it's a hike from club to pitch) East Hull were rather average away from home but good facilities. Nottingham were enthusiastic  - students in the main so can struggle for quality. Heworth from Div 1 were below East Hull on playing ability. Queensbury also Div1 would struggle in the YML premier in my opinion.

Why not use the YML and other existing Regional set ups to thoroughly prepare teams for the NCL with the top sides gaining automatic promotion and the bottom sides being relegated from the NCL? 

2 hours ago, The knowledge said:

It always strikes me as odd why there's no pyramid system through Rugby League. I've seen all of the YML sides who appear to have applied for NCL in 2018. Batley had by far the strongest playing strength (though it's a hike from club to pitch) East Hull were rather average away from home but good facilities. Nottingham were enthusiastic  - students in the main so can struggle for quality. Heworth from Div 1 were below East Hull on playing ability. Queensbury also Div1 would struggle in the YML premier in my opinion.

Why not use the YML and other existing Regional set ups to thoroughly prepare teams for the NCL with the top sides gaining automatic promotion and the bottom sides being relegated from the NCL? 

It is a nice idea but what happens if the club doesn't want to go into the NCL, the players may be happy playing in a regional league and not want to commit to the travelling required, also the club may not meet the criteria required to be in the NCL 

Excellent comments and both  sum up imo what's wrong with rugby league at grass roots. Its simply too "unprofessional"

I accept some teams don't look to improve year on year - big fish in a small (regional) pond syndrome. Should there simply be leagues Oran acceptance of teams who lack the ambition to progress up the ladder - for whatever reason?

And possibly even more importantly "the criteria."  Whilst I agree it's v. important to have a set of standards shouldnt these first be discussed, weighted and centrally published by the RL to ensure  improvement in playing standards - much as now for the pro-game. A clear - bottom to top criteria  published based on grounds, playing strength, cash flow etc showing clubs what they need to move up the structure. Then finally apply these  openly with say a scoring system and reasons -avoiding any back-door favours or "black balls" by the RL or any committees.

24 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

What happens with the team then that was going to get relegated if the team that wins the league doesnt want to go up?

They are given the chance to get into the NCL by applying like other clubs.

well they dont get relegated in that case.

i just think a place in that league should be earnt and not just based on facilities etc. 

28 minutes ago, topcentre21 said:

i just think a place in that league should be earnt and not just based on facilities etc. 

I agree playing standards need to be looked at though I have heard it said that East Hull think their squad will improve in they get back into ncl as players who let them to play for other hull clubs in ncl will come back to them.  

49 minutes ago, The knowledge said:

Excellent comments and both  sum up imo what's wrong with rugby league at grass roots. Its simply too "unprofessional"

A lot of pro clubs are 'unprofessional', spend money they havent got and then ask supporters to raise money for them. A lot of NCL clubs are better run financially and they have better playing standards than a lot of league 1 clubs and I mean the ones in the North, not only the Southern L1 clubs

1 hour ago, The knowledge said:

I accept some teams don't look to improve year on year - big fish in a small (regional) pond syndrome. Should there simply be leagues Oran acceptance of teams who lack the ambition to progress up the ladder - for whatever reason?

And possibly even more importantly "the criteria."  Whilst I agree it's v. important to have a set of standards shouldnt these first be discussed, weighted and centrally published by the RL to ensure  improvement in playing standards - much as now for the pro-game. A clear - bottom to top criteria  published based on grounds, playing strength, cash flow etc showing clubs what they need to move up the structure. Then finally apply these  openly with say a scoring system and reasons -avoiding any back-door favours or "black balls" by the RL or any committees.

what about the teams who are excellent on the park but the players just play for the enjoyment, not everyone is looking to be at the top of the hill.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

T

13 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Sorry about that mate. I don't normally make statements like that unless I'm certain and I did get that information from two reputable sources, and one of them was while I was watching a game at that same club. I apologise if I misled anybody. I'm glad I didn't mention the name of the team. I remember when I went to that game, expecting to see a struggling team but I saw a team that were capable of beating any team in that division on the day. Best of luck for the coming season. No doubt I will see you somewhere along the way.

Thanks Celtic, just wanted to clarify the situation.

11 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

I heard the same story from Fev Lions as they they were due to play IRB and they cancelled on the Friday morning saying they were puling out of the league, a couple of hours later they were asked if they could still play as IRB had a change of mind as they thought they wouldnt be fined. Not sure why anyone would make that up  

All basically true except the part about the fine. If finance was an issue why go on and pay more out for transport for the remainder of the season than simply pay the fine ????

Maybe the guy at Featherstone didn't make it up. Maybe somebody told him that. People make up all sorts on these forums to be fair. I think the guy who actually represents the club we are talking about is an honourable man so I accept it when he says finance is not an issue. Doesn't really matter anyhow. I hope we don't lose any of the existing clubs.

Can i say one thing about the NCL and other Amateur clubs.They are totally self funded with no help from any other organisation?I go to an amateur game every Saturday(Ovenden v. Three Tuns last Saturday)and I always put a few quid into the club.Its not a lot but it helps.Secondly it irritates me to see the RFL putting vast amounts of money into white elephants such as Oxford,Gloucester,Hemel etc.If this money had been distributed among the Grassroots amateur teams who produce all the top Superleague/International players then that would make far more sense to me?

I believe there is a significant community fund available prior to the World Cup.

I trust that this money goes to sustainable clubs to improve their existing facilities and isn't frittered away on fantasy clubs to pay for set up costs like jerseys,equipment etc,which tends to produce no return a few years later.

Facilities at existing,sustainable clubs desperately need to be improved in order to retain existing players and not lose them to rugby union clubs,who tend to offer vastly superior facilities.

2 hours ago, neutralfan said:

Can i say one thing about the NCL and other Amateur clubs.They are totally self funded with no help from any other organisation?I go to an amateur game every Saturday(Ovenden v. Three Tuns last Saturday)and I always put a few quid into the club.Its not a lot but it helps.Secondly it irritates me to see the RFL putting vast amounts of money into white elephants such as Oxford,Gloucester,Hemel etc.If this money had been distributed among the Grassroots amateur teams who produce all the top Superleague/International players then that would make far more sense to me?

Dont disagree with a lots of your post .

Usually if thinks dont grow (the game) they shrink and then die .

Hemel are not a white elephant , struggling yes . Lack of vision from the people controlling the game and poor planning (maybe no vision and no planning ) haven't helped .

On 11/11/2018 at 6:49 PM, Impartial Observer said:

A lot of pro clubs are 'unprofessional', spend money they havent got and then ask supporters to raise money for them. A lot of NCL clubs are better run financially and they have better playing standards than a lot of league 1 clubs and I mean the ones in the North, not only the Southern L1 clubs

NCL clubs probably are financially better off than League 1 but they're not paying players so the point is mute

I have been following the above discussions with interest and just wanted to give you a brief update on where Nottingham Outlaws are at with respect to our plans for next season.

As many of you know, we did indeed make a formal application to join the NCL for next season, but unfortunately our application has now been formally rejected. There were 3 places up for grabs and six applicants were put forwards to the management committee. Whilst we were considered to be a very serious candidate we were let down by our lack of junior sides playing in an organised league structure. Clearly with us being situated outside of the heartlands it is always going to be a difficult task for us to get junior sides playing in a Yorkshire based competition.

In the mean time we will continue our membership of the Yorkshire Premier League whilst complementing our schedule with additional fixtures. We will   also keep a close eye on other options, such as a proposed new Southern Conference that is currently being evaluated by the RFL.

20 minutes ago, RichardJ said:

I have been following the above discussions with interest and just wanted to give you a brief update on where Nottingham Outlaws are at with respect to our plans for next season.

As many of you know, we did indeed make a formal application to join the NCL for next season, but unfortunately our application has now been formally rejected. There were 3 places up for grabs and six applicants were put forwards to the management committee. Whilst we were considered to be a very serious candidate we were let down by our lack of junior sides playing in an organised league structure. Clearly with us being situated outside of the heartlands it is always going to be a difficult task for us to get junior sides playing in a Yorkshire based competition.

In the mean time we will continue our membership of the Yorkshire Premier League whilst complementing our schedule with additional fixtures. We will   also keep a close eye on other options, such as a proposed new Southern Conference that is currently being evaluated by the RFL.

Good luck for the future.

Cramlington Rockets have junior teams play in Yorkshire so it can be done, obviously it takes a lot of work and commitment from all involved.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, topcentre21 said:

well if they dont wish to go up into ncl then thats there choice and shouldnt be made to go up.

but i think its a good idea top teams from regional leagues should be given the chance 

This is actually happening via expansion of the NCL with clubs that fulfil the criteria - It's a shame that Wheatley Hills became envious of Bentleys success because I would have put them in the pot to gain entry into the NCL, well run club with plenty of juniors.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, neutralfan said:

I'm sure when Sports England made the RFL & BARLA shake hands and get into bed together a sum of money was allotted to the amateur game every year.

Since the RFL have taken control of the amateurs I'm not sure if this amount (Not even sure of the amount)  is now being spent on how the amateurs would like it to be or do the RFL spend it how they see fit and book it down to amateur expenses, I'm sure Peter will now the answer to this one.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, henage said:

Dont disagree with a lots of your post .

Usually if thinks dont grow (the game) they shrink and then die .

Hemel are not a white elephant , struggling yes . Lack of vision from the people controlling the game and poor planning (maybe no vision and no planning ) haven't helped .

Bridge to far to soon, I'm sure they'll sort themselves out and be back - I wish they'd hurry up and transfer our player back to us, we've been waiting since the 11/11/2018

airbourne.jpg

1 hour ago, RichardJ said:

Isn’t the Southern conference starting next year? Are you therefore preferring to stay in the Yorkshire Premier for the time being?

Archived