New NCL Teams

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Isn’t the Southern conference starting next year? Are you therefore preferring to stay in the Yorkshire Premier for the time being?

Im a little out of the loop on this one, others at the club can probably answer this question better than I can. I think our position is that we are watching developments re the new Southern Conference but the planning is still at an early stage of development so impossible to say whether we would want to be included (thats my personal take on things)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, usain bolt said:

9 teams applied, after thorough evaluation, 3 have been chosen to be voted on to gain entry to the ncl leagues, making 50 teams in total from the current 47.

I guess that all those at the bottom who needed to reapply got accepted too?

Actually the rules say EVERY club needs to re-apply every year. 

The bottom two clubs need to be formally re-elected. The management recommend.

I cannot remember the last time those two were not re-invited if that was their wish and they met the basic requirements of the competition. After all a league structure requires a bottom as well as a top!

The NCL is structured to run up to 56 clubs. The management  decide the format.

All organisations of any kind need new blood to sustain and enthuse. NCL is no different. The immediate view is to expand just NCL 3 to 14,clubs  but it has to be noted that some clubs especially in NCL 2  have had issues.They have been 'stress tested ' by the committee who I know are massively supportive of all of them and their futures are hopefully bright. Never the less an NCL 2  of 14 clubs has  also been considered if only as an insurance backstop in the event of unwanted withdrawals.

The ethos of the NCL has to be of an organisation welcoming of all clubs wishing to progress.....and the current batch of applicants are certainly in the progressive camp.

3 hours ago, RichardJ said:

Im a little out of the loop on this one, others at the club can probably answer this question better than I can. I think our position is that we are watching developments re the new Southern Conference but the planning is still at an early stage of development so impossible to say whether we would want to be included (thats my personal take on things)

Thanks, interesting to note that the All Golds, one of driving forces of the Southern Conference, also applied to NCL. Hedging their bets or just not confident about it getting off the ground? That would be some seriously long trips in NCL

1 hour ago, del capo said:

Actually the rules say EVERY club needs to re-apply every year. 

The bottom two clubs need to be formally re-elected. The management recommend.

I cannot remember the last time those two were not re-invited if that was their wish and they met the basic requirements of the competition. After all a league structure requires a bottom as well as a top!

The NCL is structured to run up to 56 clubs. The management  decide the format.

All organisations of any kind need new blood to sustain and enthuse. NCL is no different. The immediate view is to expand just NCL 3 to 14,clubs  but it has to be noted that some clubs especially in NCL 2  have had issues.They have been 'stress tested ' by the committee who I know are massively supportive of all of them and their futures are hopefully bright. Never the less an NCL 2  of 14 clubs has  also been considered if only as an insurance backstop in the event of unwanted withdrawals.

The ethos of the NCL has to be of an organisation welcoming of all clubs wishing to progress.....and the current batch of applicants are certainly in the progressive camp.

I guess the bottom 2 got 're elected then and all others applied and got the thumbs up, leaving the 3 places available to make the 50. 

Good luck to the 3 teams picked to be voted on, and hopefully the other 6 progress enough to be strong candidates in the future. 

46 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Thanks, interesting to note that the All Golds, one of driving forces of the Southern Conference, also applied to NCL. Hedging their bets or just not confident about it getting off the ground? That would be some seriously long trips in NCL

NCL Chair had a good chat with them.

They are a bit off the standards required of NCL - go to NCL appendices on rfl website- yes I know it's difficult- to see what I mean.

RFL are supposed to be setting their own standards for the RFL managed Southern Conference which still aims at  meeting Tier 4 tag. Not seen those as yet. Also talk of travel cost support- again no details but if more generous than current NCL arrangements  would  expect that to become a debate between friends....

Absolutely understand clubs  seeking to keep options open, but still need to be honest with Organising Bodies as decisions have to be made on next  year's structures.. Nottingham for instance?

Long trips never a problem for NCL if the RFL covered the travel for those particularly affected  by  it . £50k  extra would easily  cover  all of that but hey ho this is the RFL with a turnover of £20 million investing in it's future....

According to this forum's main website , the clubs preferred  are Hensingham , Batley Boys and Heworth.

Each need to secure 24 votes  ( the process starts and indeed may conclude at next monday's  full clubs meeting ) to secure entry.

As do of course the two bottom placed outfits.

East hull, cutsyke, Nottingham outlaws,  distington, all golds,  and walney central are the 6 teams to miss out according to the total rl home page. 

Hope all are in good spirits and improve in the areas that they've been deemed to need improvement in to enable a future successful application. 

Really hope Batley get in they've been plugging away for years and hopefully all will come to fruition I can see some people in the heavy woollen not being happy. 

As regards the others tipped to get in, hope heworth have strengthened alot, last time I saw them they were pants. Never seen hensingham but west Cumbria is a strong area so hopefully they'll be a great addition.

8 hours ago, del capo said:

According to this forum's main website , the clubs preferred  are Hensingham , Batley Boys and Heworth.

Each need to secure 24 votes  ( the process starts and indeed may conclude at next monday's  full clubs meeting ) to secure entry.

Have many previously failed to secure the required number of votes?

8 hours ago, johnmatrix said:

Really hope Batley get in they've been plugging away for years and hopefully all will come to fruition I can see some people in the heavy woollen not being happy. 

As regards the others tipped to get in, hope heworth have strengthened alot, last time I saw them they were pants. Never seen hensingham but west Cumbria is a strong area so hopefully they'll be a great addition.

Hensingham have been one of the leading sides in the Cumberland League in recent years. I've watched them a few times (away from home), and they were a cut above the opposition. Rather surprised to hear they forfeited games towards the end of the 2018 season. That's a bit alarming!

Heworth topped Yorkshire League Division One last season. Owing to York Lokomotive ARLFC packing up last June (or thereabouts), there's probably a few 'spare' players around in York, where amateur RL doesn't have much strength in depth. In September, Heworth head coach Scott Rhodes, the former York player, was quoted by the local paper (I've edited): "The NCL is where we want to go - it's where I want to go and the club will back me. It's the way forward. In the Yorkshire League there are too many teams calling games off if they don't fancy it. We've got a good little side. The Yorkshire League Premier Division might be a decent standard but if you look at this club, with the junior structure and facilities, we're one of the best in England. Heworth are - were - a great club and I think we should be an NCL club again. We came together and regrouped, and have done fantastically well to win our league. We've been the most consistent team over all the rounds and if you look at our points difference, we're miles ahead. Beating teams by 40 or 50 is great - especially for egos - but we want to move up."

15 hours ago, del capo said:

I went to watch two of the three last season, from the two Batley was the better drilled side and I thought Heworth got out of jail early in the season  at Cutsyke .

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

18 hours ago, usain bolt said:

East hull, cutsyke, Nottingham outlaws,  distington, all golds,  and walney central are the 6 teams to miss out according to the total rl home page. 

Hope all are in good spirits and improve in the areas that they've been deemed to need improvement in to enable a future successful application. 

I know Easts are, the guy I know said they'll be back next year and another season in the YML will not do them any harm as they grow stronger.

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

If Batley Boys are accepted i wonder where they will play their home games as their current pitch isn't very near their changing rooms. 

We could easily have a clubhouse up and running for the start of the 2019/20 season but it wouldn't be pitch side, we feel one pitch side would help us in developing juniors but one on the road leading up to our ground would be in a more financial position as the only watering hole's in the village are on the main road.

It's great to see another three strong clubs coming into the NCL, I imagine the applications will continue to grow year on year as regional leagues become prevalent for 2nd teams and clubs without a sound junior section or facilities.

I've always felt 3 up 3 down was excessive, and would prefer a 2 up 2 down model, however, the 3rd division now has 14 teams and I'd expect at least two new teams to be accepted to the NCL for the next couple of years, I wonder when there'll be a rejig of the league structures.

On 11/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, Marauder said:

I know Easts are, the guy I know said they'll be back next year and another season in the YML will not do them any harm as they grow

East hull were once a force in the ncl, hopefully another year building and fixing whatever they need to fix will earn them a place back in the ncl. 

The ncl are only as strong as it's members, the strongest candidates need to be amongst the ncl structures. 

Is it disappointing that no Lancashire clubs applied, surely there are some clubs that have the credentials to be a part of the ncl leagues from the north west. 

Do any clubs from Lancashire have any aspirations? Looking at the leagues, orrell st James have done well recently, and the facilities at Latchford are spot on. Haydock also have a decent team also, and west bank Widnes have been in the ncl before.

I know it's the overall standard, and ticking all boxes that's required. Also finance plays a major part in being a part of the ncl.

Archived