Great Advert for the international game

owls

title above says it all, what a great advert for international rugby, good  stadium great atmosphere,

we need to get the Aussies over asap,

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good suggestion Damien, but please can we forget Wembley? Economics and logistics would lose us thousands of supporters. What's wrong with Anfield again? Great crowd and atmosphere today. 

1 minute ago, TMF said:

Good suggestion Damien, but please can we forget Wembley? Economics and logistics would lose us thousands of supporters. What's wrong with Anfield again? Great crowd and atmosphere today. 

And only 26k were there. London consistently gives our best international attendances, usually by some distance and deserves a test match. Our last match international match at Wembley saw 62k and we haven't been back since. Lets shows some balls for once and actually try to stage a big event and build up to the 2021 World Cup.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Oh and cancel the tour next year and get the Aussies across for a 3 test series at Wembley, Elland Road and the Etihad and promote the hell out of this series win and this team. Don't let 2019 be a wasted year.

Totally agree. Announce it early and create demand for tickets.

Would give the game a massive boost

Every time there is an international match it is a good advert for the game - the Kiwis V Australia game was excellent and a lot of the World Cup was as well

The problem is that we get no coverage from anyone 

Compare and contrast the newspapers, TV on Monday when referencing a fantastic England series win compared to a friendly involving 1 try and a load of kicking.

The BBC just showed a fantastic game and then relegated the discussion / celebration to the Red Button so they could show a programme about junk.  Says it all.

England of course!  We er always beat Australia...

This is as good an England team as we have had for as long as I can remember and even the most one eyed Australian would surely accept they are not as good as they been for the last 20 years or so with the loss of 3 World Class players all at the same time.

The sad thing is that we aren't playing them until they will have had chance to regroup and bring in some more world class talent. :(

1 hour ago, Damien said:

And only 26k were there. London consistently gives our best international attendances, usually by some distance and deserves a test match. Our last match international match at Wembley saw 62k and we haven't been back since. Lets shows some balls for once and actually try to stage a big event and build up to the 2021 World Cup.

We played NZ at the Olympic Stadium. 32k there. 

Apart from next week.....the next time we'll see England is when England play Australia in a 3 test series here in 2020...

GB where set to play a 3 test series down under against Australia in 2019 but the Aussie's  have changed their minds and arranged a half arsed pacific cup which leaves GB in limbo cos they can't arrange a 3 test series against anyone now which renders the whole tour pointless...

A Australia v England " ashes" series in 2019 should have been agreed the second the last world cup final ended! But as per usual we faff about with pointless gimmicks (GB) and lose all momentum....and 2 years later we're all saying England should tour here,there...the Aussie's should come here etc....

We only  have ourselves to blame..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I love all international rugby, but the tri/four nations was the way to go, and it should be again. 

I don't mind which. As ever in RL, we got cold feet when Scotland got into the 4N, and went back to the drawing board for no reason. A 4N with Tonga down under would be amazing.

I just want England and the other nations to play six games a year. At least two at home in one year, and at least four the next. With one outside of the heartlands every year.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I am from Essex and attended the game with mates from Essex and Suffolk. We got into league through the 2013 World Cup and in particular the amazing England v New Zealand semi final. I recall watching  that game and thinking “we have to get more of this!”. Generally now we attend 2-3 games a season (we have adopted Cas as our league team) and watch as much as I can on sky and the bbc.

The point being, international games (especially brilliant games like today) are the gateway drug. I appreciate Cas v Wakey as much as anyone but it won’t get the wider public hooked in the same way as free to air internationals will.

The difficulty is obviously getting the Australians to commit but league actually lends itself to a reasonably simple and effective international structure. I would like to see:

1) pre season - four nations in Australia. England, Australia, New Zealand and one Southern Hemisphere qualifier 

2) post season - same but with a northern hemisphere qualifier. Play a double header in London, one game in Yorkshire, one in lancs and use the other two for sensible development (eg game in Newcastle and a game in Cumbria rather than random flags on a map (no Coventry please!). Final in the heartlands.

Keep a system like this for a decade (with a break for world cups) and I really think the game could grow. Easier said than done, mind you....

2 hours ago, Rawschach said:

England of course!  We er always beat Australia...

This is as good an England team as we have had for as long as I can remember and even the most one eyed Australian would surely accept they are not as good as they been for the last 20 years or so with the loss of 3 World Class players all at the same time.

The sad thing is that we aren't playing them until they will have had chance to regroup and bring in some more world class talent. :(

Well, you don't think that they would risk playing us if there was a chance they would lose, do you?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Ok Damien, I concede. Huge crowds in London, which helped to promote the sport there? I really do agree with you, let's not waste 2019. I think i'm getting battered here, lol. C'est la vie.

40 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Apart from next week.....the next time we'll see England is when England play Australia in a 3 test series here in 2020...

GB where set to play a 3 test series down under against Australia in 2019 but the Aussie's  have changed their minds and arranged a half arsed pacific cup which leaves GB in limbo cos they can't arrange a 3 test series against anyone now which renders the whole tour pointless...

A Australia v England " ashes" series in 2019 should have been agreed the second the last world cup final ended! But as per usual we faff about with pointless gimmicks (GB) and lose all momentum....and 2 years later we're all saying England should tour here,there...the Aussie's should come here etc....

We only  have ourselves to blame..

It will be a disgrace if England are left with nobody to play next autumn.

Hopefully something can be sorted out

I think everybody on here agrees. We have the best international team we've had for 20 years. But because of the RL's ineptitude, what is going to happen next? Nothing. What a great way to promote our fabulous game. I can't wait to see this team in action in 2 years time in serious competition.  Not.

3 hours ago, owls said:

title above says it all, what a great advert for international rugby, good  stadium great atmosphere,

we need to get the Aussies over asap,

Yes yes yes !!

Archived