Who Do We Select?

OMEGA

So, If everyone was fit, playing on form and available, what’s your England selection?

please don’t cop out by saying today’s team, we all know changes will be made for the next series

1. Lomax
  2. McGilvery
  3. Watkins
  4. Percival
  5. Makinson
  6. Widdop 
  7. Tomkins
  8. Graham
  9. Roby
  10. G Burgess
  11. Whitehead
  12. Bateman
  13. S Burgess
  14. Connor
  15. Thompson
  16. T Burgess
  17. Walmsley

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

So, If everyone was fit, playing on form and available, what’s your England selection?

please don’t cop out by saying today’s team, we all know changes will be made for the next series

1. Lomax
  2. McGilvery
  3. Watkins
  4. Percival
  5. Makinson
  6. Widdop 
  7. Tomkins
  8. Graham
  9. Roby
  10. G Burgess
  11. Whitehead
  12. Bateman
  13. S Burgess
  14. Connor
  15. Thompson
  16. T Burgess
  17. Walmsley

Everyone is fit and on form is something that will never happen. And Bennett will definitely not start with percival if the game mattered. And Hill would be in the 17 because he never let's Bennett down also Graham has been a great player for club and country but is clearly in on past performance. 

If everyone was fit, and on top of their game, and playing to their absolute potential (with another year’s ageing and development taken into account) my starting 13 would be something like: 

Hardaker 

manfredi 

gildart 

watkins

makinson

widdop 

Williams 

burgess 

roby 

Graham 

currie 

bateman 

burgess

49 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If everyone was fit, and on top of their game, and playing to their absolute potential (with another year’s ageing and development taken into account) my starting 13 would be something like: 

Hardaker 

manfredi 

gildart 

watkins

makinson

widdop 

Williams 

burgess 

roby 

Graham 

currie 

bateman 

burgess

You are missing the best second rower in the world... 

I said it last week, it's the same this week, why change a winning side barring injury.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Zak should not be near the English team. He's not the image we need and he's not known for being a good easy going person to get on with. Not worth the hassle. 

Looking at the team, there is significant depth in some positions and quality in all. 

My 17 assuming decent form and that no one comes out of the woodwork.. 

Ratchford 

Makinson 

Waktins 

Connor 

Manfredi

Widdop

Tomkins 

G Burgess 

Roby

Chris Hill

Bateman 

Whitehead 

S Burgess

Hodgson 

Ryan Hall / Mcgillvary 

L Thompson 

Wallmsley 

Lots of really good players who could swap with the above. We finally have some depth!

Ie Clark, McShane, Graham, Lomax, Gildart, Currie, TJ, Williams etc etc 

My team wouldn't be too far away from today, but two to come in for me would be Sam Burgess and Widdop in in place of two of the bench. Probably in place of Clark and Milner.

I think you have the versatility in the halves (and 9 and FB) that you could start with and two of the three from Widdop, Williams and Tomkins and have a hell of a player to bring on when legs get heavy.

Connor would absolutely stay in at centre, I think he's been unreal. Some of his one touch passes were pure class and I think he has that grit, a bit like Bateman, that we need at that level.

I think Whitehead has been a bit of an unsung hero for years too.

Whilst neither needs to be dropped right now, I think it's time to move on from Graham and Hill and they'll be tough to replace. We have bullocking props aplenty, but we're not blessed with multiple workhorses. Perhaps that's the role for Sam Burgess to move into.

From today's team, Burgess and Widdop would come in. Watkins is still amongst our very best in theory, but has rarely showed it at international level.

Still not convinced by Lomax, but he's played well in this series.

People called Romans they go the house

3 hours ago, OMEGA said:

1. Lomax
  2. McGilvery
  3. Watkins
  4. Percival
  5. Makinson
  6. Widdop 
  7. Tomkins
  8. Graham
  9. Roby
  10. G Burgess
  11. Whitehead
  12. Bateman
  13. S Burgess
  14. Connor
  15. Thompson
  16. T Burgess
  17. Walmsley

How can a partnership like Connor and Makinson not be considered on form?   Make no mistake, Connors name is going to be on the England starting teamsheet for a long time.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Dare I say it , if he’s playing and err tuned in would hardaker be fullback ?

Whoever is wherever, he will have to work hard to get in the side.  Surely this is the point, we have a number of places where a number of players can fit in if needed. These guys have to show they are up to it, and it is 2 seasons to go before tbe WC.

not sure why Watkins is walking straight back into the team.. havent seen him do much in an England shirt to merit him going straight back in above Connor (who has been fantastic) and Gildart (who will get better as hes only 22). Also we need to get away from the Burgess twins, they should do so so much more with their size but are pretty one dimensional and I dont think theyre the best at that one dimension either! Walmsley and Thompson bench Hill and graham to start.

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

not sure why Watkins is walking straight back into the team.. havent seen him do much in an England shirt to merit him going straight back in above Connor (who has been fantastic) and Gildart (who will get better as hes only 22). Also we need to get away from the Burgess twins, they should do so so much more with their size but are pretty one dimensional and I dont think theyre the best at that one dimension either! Walmsley and Thompson bench Hill and graham to start.

I think the point coming out is that we have seemingly 2 teams of world class players. Another way of looking at it is that I would be happy for any of the following to pull on the white top next year (form, fitness, availability permitting at the time of course)...

1 Hardaker Ratchford Lomax

wings makinson mcgilvray hall manfredi johnson

centres Gildart Connor Percival Watkins 

halves Williams Widdop gale Tomkins 

props hill graham Burgess Burgess walmsley Taylor thompson

second rows bateman Whitehead currie ward Lockers Burgess 

plus, of course, others will emerge next year. For Wigan, Joe Burgess and greenwood could have break out years.

Age wise, only Lockers looks to me as pretty certain to be past it. I agree we need to think about hill and Graham. 

When you consider that we had to pick Aussies with grandmothers even last year, this is some explosion of talent. 

32 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think the point coming out is that we have seemingly 2 teams of world class players. Another way of looking at it is that I would be happy for any of the following to pull on the white top next year (form, fitness, availability permitting at the time of course)...

1 Hardaker Ratchford Lomax

wings makinson mcgilvray hall manfredi johnson

centres Gildart Connor Percival Watkins 

halves Williams Widdop gale Tomkins 

props hill graham Burgess Burgess walmsley Taylor thompson

second rows bateman Whitehead currie ward Lockers Burgess 

plus, of course, others will emerge next year. For Wigan, Joe Burgess and greenwood could have break out years.

Age wise, only Lockers looks to me as pretty certain to be past it. I agree we need to think about hill and Graham. 

When you consider that we had to pick Aussies with grandmothers even last year, this is some explosion of talent. 

yes agree with that.. but still think there are some that are standing a fair bit ahead of others.. Watkins I think has slipped right down as I dont think he has done anything for england for years.

20 minutes ago, RP London said:

yes agree with that.. but still think there are some that are standing a fair bit ahead of others.. Watkins I think has slipped right down as I dont think he has done anything for england for years.

Watkins was outstanding in the 2017 World Cup - how quickly people forget!

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

Watkins was outstanding in the 2017 World Cup - how quickly people forget!

I wouldn't say outstanding... always been saying he doesnt take his club form onto the international scene and remember saying at the time that I thought we had better, just that Bateman was covering the "please find another centre" conversation. 

Archived