Who Do We Select?

OMEGA

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

I would, as did most observers at the time.

we'll have to agree to disagree as I didnt and nor did many of the people i spoke to at the time... he was not outstanding he played well but not outstanding and not up to his club form.

Just now, RP London said:

we'll have to agree to disagree as I didnt and nor did many of the people i spoke to at the time... he was not outstanding he played well but not outstanding and not up to his club form.

He made the team of the tournament. That says it all..........

16 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If everyone was fit, and on top of their game, and playing to their absolute potential (with another year’s ageing and development taken into account) my starting 13 would be something like: 

Hardaker 

manfredi 

gildart 

watkins

makinson

widdop 

Williams 

burgess 

roby 

Graham 

currie 

bateman 

burgess

No on the top of his game Conner Mmmmm

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

He made the team of the tournament. That says it all..........

not really... there are a few in there that are very "arguable" 

but as I say i dont agree and a year down the line you we're not really going to change each others minds.. 

Roby is our best hooker.

Sam Burgess is our best middle forward.

Watkins is our best centre.

Widdop is our best pivot.

If they were fit and available they should all be in the starting 13 as they would make the team stronger.  Bennett may not see Roby as better than Hodgson (I do) but he would certainly bring the other three back in.  Hall would be on the wing for this series barring injury but he has to show form to get back in now.  The same with Walmsley with the front row going well in this series.

As for Hardaker. One thing stands out time and again when England players have been interviewed in the last 18 months.  They all talk about the team and the group.  Whenever they are asked about their own performances they turn it back to the team and the group and how the coach has built a real spirit in the camp.  That kind of attitude is invaluable in close games like yesterday when winning is as much about attitude as it is about ability.

Hardaker has form in letting his club side and country down.  It would be a real risk to bring that kind of personality into the group.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The tour to PNG, will have benefited a great group of younger players coming through the system. How they've coped with being in camp, away from their comfortable surroundings, and seeing what is required to match established test/ nrl standard players will be very important in their development and the benefit of England to come.

Oliver Holmes had a great game v France, Matty Lee's has shown great potential and others like Robbie mulhern, Jack walker and Tom Davies are quality super league players now, that with the right opportunities and progression will step up eventually providing even more competition for places.

International rugby league for England at the moment is certainly bright, let's hope the progression continues and everyone concerned takes the opportunities available. Australia certainly needs to let the international game flourish by being a part rather than an obstacle 

18 hours ago, DavidM said:

Dare I say it , if he’s playing and err tuned in would hardaker be fullback ?

No matter how ZH goes, if WB is in charge, I think it will be his call alone. 

I can see him getting a shot in the squad but if Bennett thinks his past will upset the equilibrium or there is a jot of resentment then imo he will reject any call up to play.   

We’ve got some good players across the park and real competition for places meaning we’ve all got an opinion. The fullback, wing and centre positions are clear examples of this with different combinations all worthy of a place in the team.

I would however, like Bennett to start slowly filtering out those players who’ll be passed their self buy date in 2021 so I’d really think about not including Graham, O’Loughlin, Roby et al from 2019 onwards. So I’d be looking at something like this for a 2019/20 team (if all fit):

1. Lomax 2. McGilvary 3. Watkins 4. Gildart 5. Makinson 6. Widdop 7. Gale 8. Thompson 9. Hodgson 10. T Burgess 11. Whitehead 12. Bateman 13. S Burgess 

14. Clarke 15. Walmsley 16. G Burgess 17. Currie

20 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

G. Burgess should be banned for several years so he’s out of the team.

He said the other day that he'd like to play for Leeds.

I can only assume he was adversely affected by some strong medication when he said it. I hope the RFL will investigate and act accordingly.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Is it just me, or why has everyone else left out Ryan Hall from their 17? Surely he's a great option for Wing and can cover Back Row too? I am confident he will come back from Injury well and do fine in Sydney. Maybe Im overly optimistic ?

13 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Is it just me, or why has everyone else left out Ryan Hall from their 17? Surely he's a great option for Wing and can cover Back Row too? I am confident he will come back from Injury well and do fine in Sydney. Maybe Im overly optimistic ?

Hall will go great in Sydney.  He has had a relatively injury free career and clearly looks after himself.  He has some very good years in front of him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Hall will go great in Sydney.  He has had a relatively injury free career and clearly looks after himself.  He has some very good years in front of him.

If he gets back and firing he has all the attributes to make a success as an NRL winger . Big strong physical fast enough . No doubt . 

If Hall goes well for the Roosters he will go straight back in, he has always been nothing but good for England whether that be doing the hard yards or finishing clinically. It's great we are at the point now though where if even excellent players are not excelling at club level there are others capable of taking their spot.

Archived