NRL.com: Push for Kangaroos tour England 2019 at RLIF meeting?

Abicus

Would you rather:  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather:

• Great Britain tour of the Pacific/NZ in 2019
    • Ashes Series in England in 2019

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/05/why-kangaroos-tour-is-best-chance-for-australia-england-showdown/

There is quite a bit to unpack from this article by NRL.com journalist Brad Walter.

• Repeating the knowledge that Australia will not play a touring Great Britain side in 2019 in the Southern Hemisphere
  • Noting that an 'Oceanic Cup' could be played alongside the GB tour 
  • Australia could play England in an Ashes tour; as well as midweek games against France, Ireland, Wales & Scotland

Sone bonus points:

• RLIF will likely give England No.2 ranking
  • Calendar may not be finalised due to need to ensure Tests are financially viable
  • pay parity between nations to be raised (i.e. Tonga)
  • 2025 RLWC in USA to be discussed

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damien said:

I would be ecstatic if the following happened next year:

GB tour scrapped

Australia play England in an Ashes tour; as well as midweek games against France, Ireland, Wales & Scotland

Oceanic Cup happened with Tonga, Fiji, PNG and NZ

Feels like a power play between the NRL and RFL.

The above feels  like the 'best case scenario' for International Rugby League. But could the RFL swallow their pride and admit that the GB Lions concept won't happen next year?

Kill the Great Britain idea for good. Please.

Then look at what looks like giving us the best international football over the next 5 years.

But make the decisions ASAP.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Kill the Great Britain idea for good. Please.

Unfortunately, it seems to be Nigel Wood's personal hobby horse, so my expectation is GB rather than England will be playing Tonga, PNG & NZ down under next year.

12 minutes ago, JonM said:

Unfortunately, it seems to be Nigel Wood's personal hobby horse, so my expectation is GB rather than England will be playing Tonga, PNG & NZ down under next year.

England aren't going to be ranked #2 in the world for very long if they spend a year playing as a different team.

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Think your right about GB but what happens will be down to the Aussie's the RLIF has no power, and really is just a puppet organisation, a nice cosy home for the boy's club to swan around the world feeling important.

27 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

What a frickin' mess. My head hurts when I read that Brad Walter story, trying to make sense of it. So bloody depressing. 

Hard work isnt it.

Maybe centrally funding the best players is now the way to go if we're frightened of damaging/overworking the players

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I want the GB idea scrapped. I'm all for a tour but it has to be as England for me and if we aren't gonna be playing Aus in that tour then I would rather we go down there in 2020 and Aus come here next year.

But aren’t the World Cup organisers saying the kangaroos must tour England in 2020, to get people psyched up for the World Cup in 2021?

What are the odds on nothing getting finalised or agreed at this conference and the usual positive mumbo jumbo coming out of it that they've had productive talks about putting in place the calendar for the next 8 years and individual nations will tasked with working towards finalising those agreements. And then nothing happens until the next meeting.............

30 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

But aren’t the World Cup organisers saying the kangaroos must tour England in 2020, to get people psyched up for the World Cup in 2021?

This is the problem with having one international window. Having to alternate continents means that for a whole year we end up with no major international RL in one continent.

We should be having two windows - one in May/June and one in Oct/Nov. We should send Northern Hemisphere teams down there for one window, and Southern Hemisphere teams up here for the other.

This is why we keep getting average crowds - the absolute high that the England players are creating can't be capitalised on for another 2 years or so, when people will have forgotten how much fun they have had this time.

I really have no idea why people get offended by the GB idea as opposed to the England one. In my view the GB brand remains the stronger one but using it shouldn't have any effect on the England one being used for other purposes.

The key thing is that the team one way or another gets a crack at the Kangaroos.

35 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What are the odds on nothing getting finalised or agreed at this conference and the usual positive mumbo jumbo coming out of it that they've had productive talks about putting in place the calendar for the next 8 years and individual nations will tasked with working towards finalising those agreements. And then nothing happens until the next meeting.............

With Nigel Wood being the CEO this is the likely outcome although the NRL Peter Beattie is very pro internationals. I just have little faith due to that parasite Wood. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I really have no idea why people get offended by the GB idea as opposed to the England one. In my view the GB brand remains the stronger one but using it shouldn't have any effect on the England one being used for other purposes.

It depends on what you're proposing. If you're wanting to make Great Britain the national team for the UK, and to have us play as GB every year and in every competition, then I'm happy to consider the merits of such an idea - albeit that we would need to seek the approval of Scotland RL and Wales RL in order to reform GB in such a manner.

However, if you're proposing that a Great Britain and Irish Lions team plays once every four years, with no clear structure regarding who we're going to play and where and in what competition, then I'm completely against it. Even more so when as things currently stand, there is hardly any non-English players that would on merit make the squad, let alone the starting 13.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I would be ecstatic if the following happened next year:

GB tour scrapped

Australia play England in an Ashes tour; as well as midweek games against France, Ireland, Wales & Scotland

Oceanic Cup happened with Tonga, Fiji, PNG and NZ

Ireland or Wales will be busy with World Cup qualifiers, so I just can't see them playing Australia. 
Scotland is sure busy with qualifiers. 
Anyway, Scotland and Irish would both heavily rely on heritage players (which I'm fine with).

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Just now, 17 stone giant said:

It depends on what you're proposing. If you're wanting to make Great Britain the national team for the UK, and to have us play as GB every year and in every competition, then I'm happy to consider the merits of such an idea - albeit that we would need to seek the approval of Scotland RL and Wales RL in order to reform GB in such a manner.

However, if you're proposing that a Great Britain and Irish Lions team plays once every four years, with no clear structure regarding who we're going to play and where and in what competition, then I'm completely against it. Even more so when as things currently stand, there is hardly any non-English players that would on merit make the squad, let alone the starting 13.

Having GB as a "national team" is a non sense, in 2018. 
The only serious option is to have it as a rep team à la B&I Lions. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Archived