NRL.com: Push for Kangaroos tour England 2019 at RLIF meeting?

Abicus

Would you rather:  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather:

• Great Britain tour of the Pacific/NZ in 2019
    • Ashes Series in England in 2019

After reading through this thread, including it's "drifts" from the main topic of the OP, am I on my own in thinking that we, that is the RFL in this country has caused these untold problems in the scheduling of internationals between in the two hemispheres.

There is no such problem in other cross seasonal sports such as Union and Cricket, they can play out their domestic seasons, even accomodate visiting touring teams then gravitate naturally to selecting and dispatching their best to the other side of the world to represent them on the international stage.

Simply put, the change to Summer Rugby by the RFL has cocked up the free flow of proper full on international tours that used to be scheduled in a periodic organised manner which gave the fan's the opportunity to arrange, save and plan to make what would be for many the trip of a lifetime, applicable to fan's on both sides of the world, who would desire to make the trip. 

Irrespective of whether the stated 'tour' next year is GB or England it was first announced 18 months ago, and we still don't know where it is going, even if it will go ahead at all, I honestly don't think there would have been any problems if we were still playing the game in the season's we did so for 100 years, It is all to easy to put the blame on the Australian's but it is they who have to accomodate what we altered not them!

I was fortunate enough to go in '92, and there was a reputed 8K who made the trip, I managed to do it by saving £10 a week from watching the '88 tour on TV and thinking I want to do that, the mere fact was we knew there was going to be another tour in 4 years time, I can't help but think how many today would take the opportunity as I did with the same continuity and type of scheduling, maybe 15 - 20K?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

After reading through this thread, including it's "drifts" from the main topic of the OP, am I on my own in thinking that we, that is the RFL in this country has caused these untold problems in the scheduling of internationals between in the two hemispheres.

There is no such problem in other cross seasonal sports such as Union and Cricket, they can play out their domestic seasons, even accomodate visiting touring teams then gravitate naturally to selecting and dispatching their best to the other side of the world to represent them on the international stage.

Simply put, the change to Summer Rugby by the RFL has cocked up the free flow of proper full on international tours that used to be scheduled in a periodic organised manner which gave the fan's the opportunity to arrange, save and plan to make what would be for many the trip of a lifetime, applicable to fan's on both sides of the world, who would desire to make the trip. 

Irrespective of whether the stated 'tour' next year is GB or England it was first announced 18 months ago, and we still don't know where it is going, even if it will go ahead at all, I honestly don't think there would have been any problems if we were still playing the game in the season's we did so for 100 years, It is all to easy to put the blame on the Australian's but it is they who have to accomodate what we altered not them!

I was fortunate enough to go in '92, and there was a reputed 8K who made the trip, I managed to do it by saving £10 a week from watching the '88 tour on TV and thinking I want to do that, the mere fact was we knew there was going to be another tour in 4 years time, I can't help but think how many today would take the opportunity as I did with the same continuity and type of scheduling, maybe 15 - 20K?

Other sports are happy to play internationals during their season, whether that is at the same time as club games or via international breaks. 

RU has the six nations and autumn internationals in-season.

FIFA world cups are played when out of season for the whole world pretty much.

Either system can workif you want it to. 

We could have international games in May and October if we wanted to. Aligned seasons do not prevent this.

There is literally no excuse that does not also apply to Other sports. They just prioritise things because they see value in international sport.

RL doesn't see the importance and we end up with what we have.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Other sports are happy to play internationals during their season, whether that is at the same time as club games or via international breaks. 

RU has the six nations and autumn internationals in-season.

FIFA world cups are played when out of season for the whole world pretty much.

Either system can workif you want it to. 

We could have international games in May and October if we wanted to. Aligned seasons do not prevent this.

There is literally no excuse that does not also apply to Other sports. They just prioritise things because they see value in international sport.

RL doesn't see the importance and we end up with what we have.

Read back what I said "even accomodate visiting touring teams" It is not and never has been a problem to welcome touring or visiting teams to any particular sports regular season, it is the visiting nations who have to do the bulk of personal arranging, it does not take a lot of grey matter to agree that it is far easier if it is in their close season.

You mention Union, NZ and S Africa are here at the moment in their domestic close season, when do the British Lions or indeed any of the home nations England, Scotland Ireland or Wakes visit the Southern Hemisphere to "Tour" in their close season. As with the England Cricket team and the Southern Hemisphere visiting teams. 

Aussies will tell you that they don't want the RL season extended, they have a little matter of Cricket to play, watch and support.

You say "There is literally no excuse that does not also apply to Other sports. They just prioritise things because they see value in international sport" It is easy for them in the sports mentioned to arrange cross hemisphere International's their domestic seasons do not coincide with ours.

You also mentioned the 6 Nations in Union, that is an integeral part of the Union Calender most probably pencilled in for the next 50 years, unlike our futile attempts at future arrangements, and what, the furthest that a team has to travel in that competition is less than 3 hours by plane.

I think RL does see the importance that is why the Inernational Board is meeting at the moment, it would be so much easier if the season's didn't clash, there would not be so  much of a problem for Aus, NZ and those Island Nations to arrange and play amongst themselves and leave the Northern lot to make their own arrangements but then Elite 1 in France runs September while April, sorry Dave but the RFL in the decision to switch seasons have cocked up the International scheduling, I had concerns for it at the time of the changeover, events have not altered those concerns.

And would you not conceed that proper long term tour scheduling is better for those fan's who would want to follow our team on a 'proper' as was tour, it doesn't matter to me these days, I am retired and posses enough folding stuff to go at the drop of a hat, but that was not always the case, I worked and had to save holidays out of the preceeding and following years and had to save up enough to finance all aspects of the trip, I am sure a lot more would follow given the correct conditions.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Read back what I said "even accomodate visiting touring teams" It is not and never has been a problem to welcome touring or visiting teams to any particular sports regular season, it is the visiting nations who have to do the bulk of personal arranging, it does not take a lot of grey matter to agree that it is far easier if it is in their close season.

You mention Union, NZ and S Africa are here at the moment in their domestic close season, when do the British Lions or indeed any of the home nations England, Scotland Ireland or Wakes visit the Southern Hemisphere to "Tour" in their close season. As with the England Cricket team and the Southern Hemisphere visiting teams. 

Aussies will tell you that they don't want the RL season extended, they have a little matter of Cricket to play, watch and support.

You say "There is literally no excuse that does not also apply to Other sports. They just prioritise things because they see value in international sport" It is easy for them in the sports mentioned to arrange cross hemisphere International's their domestic seasons do not coincide with ours.

You also mentioned the 6 Nations in Union, that is an integeral part of the Union Calender most probably pencilled in for the next 50 years, unlike our futile attempts at future arrangements, and what, the furthest that a team has to travel in that competition is less than 3 hours by plane.

I think RL does see the importance that is why the Inernational Board is meeting at the moment, it would be so much easier if the season's didn't clash, there would not be so  much of a problem for Aus, NZ and those Island Nations to arrange and play amongst themselves and leave the Northern lot to make their own arrangements but then Elite 1 in France runs September while April, sorry Dave but the RFL in the decision to switch seasons have cocked up the International scheduling, I had concerns for it at the time of the changeover, events have not altered those concerns.

And would you not conceed that proper long term tour scheduling is better for those fan's who would want to follow our team on a 'proper' as was tour, it doesn't matter to me these days, I am retired and posses enough folding stuff to go at the drop of a hat, but that was not always the case, I worked and had to save holidays out of the preceeding and following years and had to save up enough to finance all aspects of the trip, I am sure a lot more would follow given the correct conditions.

Im not after an argument Harry, but none of the above prevents a full international game (with tours if we want). 

It may be seen as easier, but changing whole seasons for something that can be done anyway (with the right effort) is unnecessary.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The RLIF meet quite regularly aitch. They also make regular announcements about the future international schedule. They then tear it up and announce a different schedule six months later. I’m beginning to think the acronym stands for Rugby League Incompetents Forever.

rldfsignature.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Im not after an argument Harry, but none of the above prevents a full international game (with tours if we want). 

It may be seen as easier, but changing whole seasons for something that can be done anyway (with the right effort) is unnecessary.

I don't percieve it as an argument Dave, we have a difference of opinion, I respect what you say and enjoy debating the point, I would also conceed that I could ever see the season revert back to it's original format but can't help but see the value if it did so, not only for the International programme but also for other reasons.

I was reading all the above with interest, so out of curiosity (and because I don't really follow the club game) I just checked when the Super League and NRL start and finish.

For 2018: 

NRL season was from 8th March to 30th September (grand final) - State of Origin is played during those months too

Super League was from 1st February to 13th October (grand final)

Aside from international matches, if and when they are arranged, are there any other games that NRL players and SL players are playing, outside of those dates?

I'm only wondering because it seems to me as though - especially NRL - players get a fair bit of time off. Certainly more than footballers get. I know you have to do preseason training and all that, but just from a casual fan perspective, it doesn't look to me as though there is a shortage of time to play some international matches, albeit out of the regular season.

Am I missing something here?

6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I was reading all the above with interest, so out of curiosity (and because I don't really follow the club game) I just checked when the Super League and NRL start and finish.

For 2018: 

NRL season was from 8th March to 30th September (grand final) - State of Origin is played during those months too

Super League was from 1st February to 13th October (grand final)

Aside from international matches, if and when they are arranged, are there any other games that NRL players and SL players are playing, outside of those dates?

I'm only wondering because it seems to me as though - especially NRL - players get a fair bit of time off. Certainly more than footballers get. I know you have to do preseason training and all that, but just from a casual fan perspective, it doesn't look to me as though there is a shortage of time to play some international matches, albeit out of the regular season.

Am I missing something here?

NRL teams will play a few warm up matches before their season kicks off.

rldfsignature.jpg

NRL players have their holidays from GF day until the first week in November when pre-season training starts. Of course a lot of them would have had surgery as soon as the last round was over so their "holidays" are probably spent in daily rehab sessions.

13 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Well done to the RLIF & RFL for standing up to the Aussie's and not letting bully everyone into getting their own way..

Are you being ironic, the Aussie's have got a local to them comp next year, a tour over here ie 5 games at the most the year after and their precious nines tournament, how thrilling, and top it all some bulls**t from Rimmer, RL at it's finest.

That GB (or is it GB&I???) tour next season is going to lose a bucket full of cash. Anyone remember the 1996 tour of NZ? And this one will also be impacted by clashing with the Oceania Cup taking up all the media, fan, commercial awareness. No way on earth does this tour come close to covering its costs.

Add to that England disappearing from sight for 2 whole years.

It's got disaster written all over it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

So, are the RLIF saying that either Wales or Ireland (assuming they've agreed to have anything to do with this GB nonsense) will have to play their RLWC qualifiers next season without their best players? Or is the GB team not picking players from those nations?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

When does the Nines World Cup get played?

During the pre-season (which will be during our actual season) or during end of season internationals?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

When someone says "subject to consultation with the major playing leagues and the players’ representatives" you know you have to take these plans with a pinch of salt.

Indeed. Everytime the RLIF meet they agree to a calendar 'in principal'. Some definite confirmation would be good. 

Just as I implied earlier in my posts, it is very easy for the Southern Hemisphere *Nations to arrange games and comps between themselves, leaving ourselves on the outside to fill in as nessacary, we will simply get left behind, but it is of our own making, it would not be happening if we still employed the opposite season to those down under.

* Manufactured from ex-pat Australians.

5 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Are you being ironic, the Aussie's have got a local to them comp next year, a tour over here ie 5 games at the most the year after and their precious nines tournament, how thrilling, and top it all some bulls**t from Rimmer, RL at it's finest.

Australia wanted to change the previous agreed schedule...The RFL & RLIF stood their ground..

I'll also add that in 2020 Australia are down to play in the Oceania cup then travel to England to play 3 tests plus 2-3 mid week tests....there's ZERO chance the RLPA will allow them to play 7-8 tests outside of a world cup year..

Just wait a few weeks and we'll see Peter Beattie come out in the press whinging about reform and the need for a proper international schedule... Just like he has done after the last two RLIF meetings..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

10 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Australia wanted to change the previous agreed schedule...The RFL & RLIF stood their ground..

I'll also add that in 2020 Australia are down to play in the Oceania cup then travel to England to play 3 tests plus 2-3 mid week tests....there's ZERO chance the RLPA will allow them to play 7-8 tests outside of a world cup year..

Just wait a few weeks and we'll see Peter Beattie come out in the press whinging about reform and the need for a proper international schedule... Just like he has done after the last two RLIF meetings..

Australia will not play in an Oceana Cup.

Archived