Welsh winger?

Andy Knight

We were having a discussion today about the Club under the York Wasps title. I’m sure we had a Welsh lad that played on the wing for us in the the 90’s? It was in our good old, bad old days period when we were terrible out on the pitch. I’m not imagining it am I?

Think he was called Max or something like that?. He was small, stocky but powerful & very game, he never took a backwards step. He was one of the few players in an awful season that ended the season with any credit. 

Can anyone put a name to him or have I been imagining him? Nobody can seem to remember him. 

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"

Millican Dalton...1867-1947

Just now, spanishknight said:

We also had one in the 60s, he went to Cardiff Blue Dragon's after he left us, cant recall his name though.

No it wasn’t him who I’m thinking of. Maybe I’m confused. Nothing new there ?

Now Tight  shorts Pearce was a decent player for us signed him from Hull didn’t we? 

No this lad played one season and as Deano said he broke his leg and had to call it a day I seem to remember. Sure he’d never played a game of league before w3 picked him up playing Union for someone. 

Max Rice was his name. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

8 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Max Rice was his name. 

That’s him Simon, late 90s wasn’t it? Same time Micheal Smith played for us. Was a shambles of a season. 

2 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Just remembered the one from the 60s, Mike Marshall 

Way before my time. We can’t have had many welsh lads play for us over the years can we ? 

4 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Does anyone remember dai prosser, he had the chippy in layerthorpe when I was a kid, my dad told me he was a great player , welsh , but I don't know what his position was.

Prop forward, nice bloke and great fish n chips, used to go in and talk to him all the time, my wife knew him well before I did.

After the war, when a number of Welshmen travelled north looking for work, one of them was a hooker called Con Jenkins who played for the Wasps.. In later years Con worked behind the bar in the Punch Bowl with his wife Rene Mills. Boyny and others who played for the Punch will remember Con from the days when the Punch was a massive rugby league pub.

20 minutes ago, Peter G. said:

After the war, when a number of Welshmen travelled north looking for work, one of them was a hooker called Con Jenkins who played for the Wasps.. In later years Con worked behind the bar in the Punch Bowl with his wife Rene Mills. Boyny and others who played for the Punch will remember Con from the days when the Punch was a massive rugby league pub.

The landlord was an ammature international R.L player, think his name was Coulson.

12 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

The land lord was an ammature international R.L player.

At the time Con worked behind the bar the Punch was run by Brian Coulson and his wife Kath. If I remember correctly John, Brian went on to play for Hull KR. Coincidentally, Brian and Kaths daughter married a Wasps hooker, Peter Philippo!

18 minutes ago, Nearenough said:

It were Ryce with a Y, played in our all conquering 2000 team, don't think he broke his leg tho.

Yeah googled him. He played in our infamous season of 2000.

1 hour ago, Nearenough said:

It were Ryce with a Y, played in our all conquering 2000 team, don't think he broke his leg tho.

That's why I couldn't find any info on him online then. Just kept coming up with recipe ideas to have with large amounts of rice.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Pete of course i remember Con Jenkins. Great character and apparently was a hard player who was on the verge of selection for the 1946 GB tour of Oz but missed out for whatever reason(he always seemed bitter about it.)    As for Welshmen who played for York i think we underestimate how many players came to us and how much we owe them. Even going back to pre-war teams, just look at the names of the players in our Wembley side v Halifax. Were all the Welsh names just a coincidence? And of course our greatest international and GB tourist Norman Fender was a proud Welshman. I would recommend watching  'The Rugby Codebreakers' to actually appreciate what prejudice and snobbery these men and their families had to face. 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:06 PM, GaryHall said:

Max Ryce played 8 games from March 2000 until May 2000 scoring 4 tries.

Mike Marshall played 44 games from August 1975 until December 1978 scoring 10 tries

He was a proper rough house was Mike. He worked at the Carriage Works like a lot more York players in those days. I don't think anyone has mentioned Colin Evans, another Welshman and a good scrum half who came to us from Leeds if I remember rightly. Ron Hill was another one of course.

• 1 year later...
On 06/11/2018 at 18:07, spanishknight said:

We also had one in the 60s, he went to Cardiff Blue Dragon's after he left us, cant recall his name though.

His name is michael marshall from Cardiff who played on the wing in the late 70s and then joined the blue dragon in the early 80s he’s my father inlaw

Archived