RLIF Announce 8 year Cycle

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Nothing to do with GB. If you were playing a money-making 4N tournament or Ashes series you can hop over to PNG for a game. TV stations are interested in tournaments or series. GB just popping around the Pacific Islands playing one-off games against teams is a financial disaster waiting to happen - especially taking a squad of 30+ on a £30-50k per player tour fee (before expenses).

I imagine GB will play Samoa, Fiji and Tonga in Sydney and it will be against fringe players in midweek games. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

There’s no particular appetite from the fans for either GB or a 9s WC from what I can see. It wouldn’t surprise me if they combine them both and have GB competing in the 9s. Who wins the Oceania Cup? Does it consist of two leagues with one above the other or are they equal? If equal will there be a final? If one over the other will there be movement between the two groups?

The way the top group is set up with Aussies NZ and Tonga it looks like the WC from a few years ago. Where the top group all qualify and are just playing for positions. Then group b are playing for the last semi final spot. 

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

I imagine GB will play Samoa, Fiji and Tonga in Sydney and it will be against fringe players in midweek games. 

Great Britain touring Australia playing only against Pacific Island teams in empty Sydney stadiums would sum it up nicely as a concept ? 

1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Since the decline of the French national side we have waited about 40 years for a genuine 4th nation.

Now that one has emerged (Tonga) we decide to scrap the 4 Nations.

The way the 4 nations were set up Tonga would only qualify every other tournament. 

18 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The way the 4 nations were set up Tonga would only qualify every other tournament. 

I think this is why a continental or 4/5/6 team type tournament, every 4 years between World Cups was the obvious way forward. Could have started this in 2019 and then 2023 and so on. 

England could then play NZ in a series every 4 years and Australia every 4 years.

Aussies still get their “year off nonsense”. Pacific teams can have Oceania matches. Would be great for Tonga, Fiji etc..

European Nations can have their own championships. 

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

1. Supposed to be in Feb

2. No one knows

3. We will have had 3 more 8-year plans by then

4. Yes the idea is a tier 1 group (Aus, Ton, NZ) and a tier 2 group (Sam, Fij, PNG) with promotion and relegation. Seriously.

Thanks Scubby. Whilst watching with delight the emergence of Tonga over the last 18 months the one thing that I really think they need now is jeopardy. ?

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We don't need Fiji, Samoa, Tonga or PNG to be huge. If you can get a sponsor for 500k then the game will make a profit. Is the Australian, NZ and british tourism market worth 500k to fiji to advertise to? Especially when some fans will visit and it will cause a growth in the local economy.

When do you think these fixtures will actually be set, with venues/dates/kick off times?

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Since the Kangaroos are so lethargic the idea of getting GB out into PNG, Samoa etc is fantastic. It may well not make much money but taking the second biggest brand and some of the biggest names in the sport into these countries will be unbelievable?

2nd biggest brand in RL? It really isn’t.

Im a contrary so and so, so I,ll go against the grain and say i would welcome a PROPER, WELL ORGANISED GB Tour...im an old(ish) git,  and GB was the reason myself and many other people from the non heartlands got in to the game(I lived in the RL hot bed of East London, just as an example). Speak to people who may have had just a passing interest back in the day, and they are likely to remember the iconic GB strip/brand(I hate that word) more then the latest England effort. Dont get me wrong, I can see the pros and cons certainly. Just seen Mr Rimmer after the NZ game, and why oh why cant someone in our sport, just for a refreshing change, come out and go "Yep its happening, details to be released in the next few days, its all sorted etc", instead of all the time "We are just waiting(insert excuse here) for etc etc"!!!! Annoys the swear filter out of me...I mean how hard is it....really?

59 minutes ago, Gray1967 said:

Im a contrary so and so, so I,ll go against the grain and say i would welcome a PROPER, WELL ORGANISED GB Tour...im an old(ish) git,  and GB was the reason myself and many other people from the non heartlands got in to the game(I lived in the RL hot bed of East London, just as an example). Speak to people who may have had just a passing interest back in the day, and they are likely to remember the iconic GB strip/brand(I hate that word) more then the latest England effort. Dont get me wrong, I can see the pros and cons certainly. Just seen Mr Rimmer after the NZ game, and why oh why cant someone in our sport, just for a refreshing change, come out and go "Yep its happening, details to be released in the next few days, its all sorted etc", instead of all the time "We are just waiting(insert excuse here) for etc etc"!!!! Annoys the swear filter out of me...I mean how hard is it....really?

The idea of it is set in stone, unfortunately no one gave a thought to the finance thats set in sand and now the tides coming in.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

The idea of it is set in stone, unfortunately no one gave a thought to the finance thats set in sand and now the tides coming in.

There used to be a man outside Central Park with a banner announcing the end of the world... 

We need dates and more details, but what if they come out in a month’s time after eg confirmation of venues etc have been fixed? I don’t see how “they’ll be playing 40 aside against a combined South Pacific select in a one off game of touch in a park in Sydney” can be gleaned from this fixture list, but I may be wrong. 

5 hours ago, Gray1967 said:

GB was the reason myself and many other people from the non heartlands got in to the game

It was for me too, but not specifically because it was Great Britain. It wouldn't have made any difference to me had it been England. I was already supporting the England football, rugby union and cricket teams, before I became a fan of Great Britain RL. For kids growing up nowadays, their first exposure to international RL would have been England and not Great Britain. Both are perfectly valid teams, and I would happily support either as my national team.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:37 PM, welshmagpie said:

http://rlif.com/article/8527/?fbclid=IwAR0tXjiiNDiPfZLpw1eQ7kP_ZehdD-qIV5ZKADfD0ol5n1MflPzv5Q2owGQ

Trying my best to lay it out simply based on the article. 

It appears to go something like this:

2019:

GB tour of NZ, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, PNG (subject to consultation).

Nines World Cup (Australia)

World Cup Qualifiers (World Group)

World Cup Qualifiers (Europe)

Oceania Cup

MEA Championship (hinted at in article)

Americas Championship (hinted at in article)

Hope those are at different times of the year, as they both include Scottish and Irish players

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Archived