1895 Cup / Wembley Deal Extended to 2027 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dkw said:

So it's basically the equivalent to football's UEFA cup competition, I think it has a lot going for it and could go well. But you know, rugby league fans eh. Constantly whining that the rfl need to be innovative, take some risks etc  then whine when they do just that. What fun.

The difference with football’s Europa League is that teams enter that at various stages upon elimination from the Champions League whereas this may only involve one entry point for Champ/L1 clubs, potentially punishing any of those sides who progress a round or two further in the CC and then lift twiddling their thumbs on free weeks and watching from the sidelines at Wembley.

Of course this is all conjecture given they haven’t fully explained who qualifies nor how the fixtures will be accommodated through the season.

If it’s simply a reintroduction of the National League Cup (aka Northern Rail Cup) then that’s certainly a positive as it shouldn’t have been scrapped in the first place, but if that was going to be the case then I’m sure they’d have introduced as such rather than as a new competition. 

Think it's a great idea. Gives some of the towns who had success in years gone by another day in the sun. It's got a chance of success because it's at Wembley. Can't believe all the negative comments on here - no matter what the RFL come up with. Yea they make some poor choices but sometimes they do come up with good ideas!

Good stuff - will be a great curtain raiser, increase the profile and crowds and give the lower leagues something to play for.

Can't see the negativity personally.

R.L. are already doing a lot to promote next years Wembley Cup Final, as festival of Rugby. The tickets, already well priced, are being further discounted to "Our League" website members. I'll be buying tickets in advance and in spite of who ends up playing. I'll be looking forward to enjoying a great sporting day out. I think the "Our League" initiative is a good one, to encourage people to love the whole sport and not just be tribal about their teams. Speaking as a Southerner; it will be an honour and a privilege to see the best of the best at Wembley, whoever gets through. If you would like to see the stadium full, start asking friends and relatives if they would like to go with you for a great day out. 

1 hour ago, Colin James said:

Not seen it confirmed, will it be a straight knockout competition or have a group stage like the rail cup? 

Knockout would be great. Exciting that with a favourable draw and a couple of good performances I could see my team play at Wembley.

It'll be a straight knockout comp

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

18 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It's been indicated (admittedly not in the release on TotalRL on second review, but not 'not mentioned' if you know what I mean) that entry in to the 1895 Cup will be for sides who get knocked out of the Challenge Cup at the first hurdle(s) and certainly wouldn't be open to Championship sides who get as far as the Challenge Cup QF as has been a semi-regular occurence over the last few years.

i'm sure i read that it will involve all the champ clubs and 4 league 1 teams... no provisos of "if they get knocked out" or anything so not sure where this has come from

36 minutes ago, RP London said:

i'm sure i read that it will involve all the champ clubs and 4 league 1 teams... no provisos of "if they get knocked out" or anything so not sure where this has come from

If not then fair enough - in which case a revival of the National League Cup would have been fine and in turn would have provided more games for fixture-starved L1 sides - but that was my understanding from threads on here and from elsewhere.

The RFL release actually mentions precious little about the actual mechanics of the 1895 Cup and just mentions which Champ/L1 clubs have played at Wembley in the past so I suppose we'll just find out when the fixtures (eventually) come out.

For what it's worth, I've reserved a hotel in Cricklewood on the Saturday and Sunday night, just in case...

If as expected it is a straight knockout it could only work with 16 (or 32, 64 etc) teams. Given there aren't enough outside SL to do 32 without inviting amateur/foreign teams so that must be why some L1 sides are not included. Presumably they will get some compensation for this absence?

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If not then fair enough - in which case a revival of the National League Cup would have been fine and in turn would have provided more games for fixture-starved L1 sides - but that was my understanding from threads on here and from elsewhere.

The RFL release actually mentions precious little about the actual mechanics of the 1895 Cup and just mentions which Champ/L1 clubs have played at Wembley in the past so I suppose we'll just find out when the fixtures (eventually) come out.

For what it's worth, I've reserved a hotel in Cricklewood on the Saturday and Sunday night, just in case...

I'm speculating, and maybe wrong, but I am working on the fact that it is actually as simple as it sounds and the fact that it doesn't go into much more detail is simply because there is nothing too complicated about it therefore its 12 champ teams + 4 league one so 16 teams... thats a round of the last 16, quarters, semis and final.. 

I will probably miss again this year sadly as we often go away the last week of august but if not then will be there and just get tickets down the line. Equally will almost certainly snap up an early ticket for July 2020 when they come out as date wise it works much better with the kids.

3 minutes ago, Colin James said:

If as expected it is a straight knockout it could only work with 16 (or 32, 64 etc) teams. Given there aren't enough outside SL to do 32 without inviting amateur/foreign teams so that must be why some L1 sides are not included. Presumably they will get some compensation for this absence?

and its not beyond the realms of possibility that if it works this year they can extend by 1 round (so only 1 extra match) by bringing in the rest of league 1 and maybe linking with Elite 1 in france.. 

Well this thread is a good read.  Not.  :banghead:

Speaking as a fan of a club from the leagues that''ll be in this competition I think it's a great idea.  There isn't a lot of daylight down here, and to be able to at least have a semi-realistic chance of some feel-good occasion that will undoubtedly bring attention, fans, revenue etc to the needy then that for me is a thumbs up to the much maligned RFL.  I really can't believe that people are putting a negative spin on this.

Sure, there may be some logistical bumps that need to be ironed out, but they'll be dealt with, and as an overall concept it brings a lot. There may be some fixture issues if, like Toulouse did the other year, a non SL club gets to a semi-final but I'm sure they'll have a plan for that. With neither TWP and TO competing it makes it an even more interesting opportunity for heartland clubs.  And in terms of Wembley being errr... too full because the two finals are comprised of say Hull FC v Wigan, Bradford v Halifax.  Then so what.  Bring it on. Full house for RL.

FFS people!

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

I always enjoyed watching the Northern Rail Cup on TV, and it looked a good idea with something realistic to play for for the lower division teams. Other sports do it.

To now have, in effect, that final at Wembley instead of Blackpool, I think is a great move.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I always enjoyed watching the Northern Rail Cup on TV, and it looked a good idea with something realistic to play for for the lower division teams. Other sports do it.

To now have, in effect, that final at Wembley instead of Blackpool, I think is a great move.

Soccer have plenty of cups that end up at wembley regardless of what level the teams are at. 

Obviously I’d prefer Widnes playing top flight rugby, but the carrot of Wembley makes the relegation much more bearable 

Archived