Newton

Hate the rec

7 hours ago, Carlisle1921 said:

You can't be on about the same Gary Charlton who coached us then? He gets the absolute most out of every player but his whole tactic was 1 man rugby down the middle with the 4 biggest lads

Our 3/4's touched the balls less than a nun.... 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newton confirmed what the rumours were about. He wanted to play more minutes week in week out, Leon couldn't guanteee it so he moved on to a 3 year deal.

We will move on and I know we have definitely got one new hooker perhaps 2 but hopefully penky stays and we move on.

Good luck James Newton apart from the derbies 

Genuinely gutted about losing newts, but as we’ve shown losing Sam, we go out and get an even better replacement. Leon didn’t rate him at all for some reason and he knows what he’s talking about. Showed how much he cares about his rugby though when he moved a holiday to play vs swinton. 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Shame , but as ever what’s gone is gone . All that matters is what’s here . And I agree ultimately with what people are saying about trusting the judgement of people there and seeing what comes in and where we stand then .One thing last year taught Leon was what he’s got , who he wants and doesn’t want and what he thinks he needs to get better . And I’m sure everything is to that end 

Question is can you get a better or equal replacement for the same money.

I’m sure all coaches would like fantastic players in every position but is it sustainable? 

Newts isn’t Championship level but we aren’t playing in the championship. I think at times the coach needs to manage his own expectations.

55 minutes ago, GeordieTownie said:

Question is can you get a better or equal replacement for the same money.

I’m sure all coaches would like fantastic players in every position but is it sustainable? 

Newts isn’t Championship level but we aren’t playing in the championship. I think at times the coach needs to manage his own expectations.

Who says it has to be for the same money? I think Leon expects more, and that’s what the board are trying to give him. I dont know why your always so hung up on costs, is it your money there spending? 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

9 minutes ago, wonky said:

Who says it has to be for the same money? I think Leon expects more, and that’s what the board are trying to give him. I dont know why your always so hung up on costs, is it your money there spending? 

I understand where GT is coming from though, obviously we want the best players we can get for our club as long as its within our means.... We dont want to end up like we did 2 years ago and ask the lads to take a pay cut and I would hope the board have the balls to tell Leon there's a limit to who he can go for but it is good that Leon is setting his standards high regarding players he wants to bring in ?

Costs and finance is everything , like any club . It’s always a balancing act between what you want and can get for what you have . And sometimes you’ve got to prioritise .  But this is teaching them to suck eggs . We can’t get hooked up on it , that’s the job of the guys down there and they’re clued up . Must have faith in them , let them get on with it .They know the figures and all the details and between them and Leon they’ll do the job . We’re on the right path with this coach and board . The decisions they make are with the aim of pushing us again and keep us sound 

2 hours ago, wonky said:

Because if your business is broke it doesn’t matter how good your team is there’s only one outcome.

And I’d rather have a team to support for 10 years rather than a brilliant one for 6 months that the club can’t afford.

2 hours ago, dkw said:

As with most others he goes with my thanks for a great effort since he came here, and I fully understand him wanting more game time. Cheers Newts, good luck in the future, except when you play us obviously. 

Totally agree.Sorry to see the lad go.

3 hours ago, wonderofwood said:

Good luck Newts, for a player who was hated with a passion when he was at haven

, to change the majorities opinion with the commitment you shown in a town shirt shows how well you played . Good luck for the future in league one ☝️ 

Could not have summed it up better myself! I have shouted myself hoarse at Newts after his antics for haven but after 1 year at town i now respect him as both a player and a person and was gutted to see him leave! 

Unfortunately these things happen so no doubt i will be shouting abuse at poor james again this season from the popular side!

26 minutes ago, Town Army said:

How comes 90% of last year's squad have decided to sign up for next year then?

4 good, local, young players have gone, 3 to haven and 1 not signing again because of the coach.... Fact. And at least 3 possibly 4 potential new players won't sign because of our coach. I just hope Leon brings in some quality to replace these lads. Yes we have retained some of last year's squad, no where near 90%

Be carful GT they will be attacking you yo should know by now your not allowed an opinion in here unless it’s positive. Too many blinkered people just thinking everything is hunky dory 

11 minutes ago, oldrake9 said:

4 good, local, young players have gone, 3 to haven and 1 not signing again because of the coach.... Fact. And at least 3 possibly 4 potential new players won't sign because of our coach. I just hope Leon brings in some quality to replace these lads. Yes we have retained some of last year's squad, no where near 90%

That's 7/8 locals, who we wanted to keep/sign, to build a team around for years and add to what we already have.... Gone....... That isn't good for our long term future. Travellers and DR are not the answer for a sustainable team

13 minutes ago, oldrake9 said:

Problem being he’s losing locals who are cheaper because of his attitude or lack of man management.

1 minute ago, oldrake9 said:

That's 7/8 locals, who we wanted to keep/sign, to build a team around for years and add to what we already have.... Gone....... That isn't good for our long term future. Travellers and DR are not the answer for a sustainable team

Exactly.

The ostrich approach seems suitable.

13 minutes ago, oldrake9 said:

Who's the other who won't sign again? 

I know that looking at who we've kept and lost that I am more than happy.

Would have liked to have kept Newts and Sam but one's already been replaced with better and hopefully the other will too. 

Ps. I couldn't be bothered doing the maths, 86%?? 84%

Archived