Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

Some would suggest that if Remoaners had put their energies into helping shape a deal and creating certainty for business rather than sulking, squirming and basically standing outside the tent p*****g in the impact on the economy would be minimal.

Interestingly Mervyn King an ex leader of the Bank of England (and an independent one at that unlike Mr Carney) said this weekend that the costs to the economy of leaving with no deal are not that different to staying in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Some would suggest that if Remoaners had put their energies into helping shape a deal and creating certainty for business rather than sulking, squirming and basically standing outside the tent p*****g in the impact on the economy would be minimal.

The only people this Tory leadership team have listened to are the ERG and the DUP. Not sure how that means it’s the Remainers fault.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Interestingly Mervyn King an ex leader of the Bank of England (and an independent one at that unlike Mr Carney) said this weekend that the costs to the economy of leaving with no deal are not that different to staying in.

Who?

10 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Yeah, yeah, whatever.   What’s your answer to the Brexit triplet question?

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

On 3/30/2019 at 12:30 PM, Steve May said:

The Brexit triplet is 

a. Leave the CU and SM

b. Maintain the integrity of the UK (ie no border between NI and GB)

c. Pull out of the Good Friday Agreement

Let's pretend that I've chosen to have A and C, but not have B.

I'm therefore having a border between NI and GB.

Please someone tell me what this means and why it's good or bad.

Why should I care about the integrity of the UK?

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

You may have that but the DUP certainly won't and certainly won't accept what they perceive as NI being treated different to the rest of the UK

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Perhaps you don't, but the Conservative and Unionist Party do. And they depend on the DUP.

The logical solution is indeed a United Ireland. What the consequences of that are, who knows.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

If you vote that way, why would you ask the question?

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Part of my not suggesting to know the answer for a border between the ' Ireland's ' comes from myself being an atheist and seeing no actual genuine problem in there being a hard border there in the 1 at place 

To me it's just another crackpot religious problem the world doesn't need 

There are Catholics and Protestants on both sides of the border 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 minutes ago, Padge said:

You people over there have got to let this Catholic/Protestant thing go...Middle Ages ended a long time ago....Reformation is long since over....for the Love of God let it go finally will ya.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trojan said:

The religious divisions in Ireland IMO come from Randolph Churchill in 1886 "playing the Orange card" for short term Tory party advantage (sound familiar) against Gladstone's Irish Home Rule Bill.  This act put the Tories into government for approx. 20 years.  But it also planted unfounded fears in the NI Protestants of "Rome Rule" from Dublin.  The bloody consequences we all know about.  The Tories seem to be about to do thee same thing again, once again for narrow party advantage.  As long as they stay in power they don't give a damn about the long term effects of their actions.

Religious divisions started when 2 religious people first met , the thing is I am fine with humans hundreds of years ago believing in ' superior beings ' and an afterlife , but not now given the science we have , unfortunately there are still far too many stupid people around unable to live their lives without a higher power to tell them how to do it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Religious divisions started when 2 religious people first met , the thing is I am fine with humans hundreds of years ago believing in ' superior beings ' and an afterlife , but not now given the science we have , unfortunately there are still far too many stupid people around unable to live their lives without a higher power to tell them how to do it 

You mean like Rimmer asking for a 500 000 pound bond from the Wolfpack to enter the Challenge Cup....do you mean stupid like that?

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You people over there have got to let this Catholic/Protestant thing go...Middle Ages ended along time ago....Reformation is long since over....for the Love of God let it go finally will ya.

It's still carries on, even in the west of Scotland. Today Celtic and Rangers had yet another 'Old Firm' derby. 

I'm sure the rest of the Europe was captivated by this sideshow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Padge said:

That isn't the problem , it's the fairly even mix of each north of the border , but it's still religion , but this is getting a bit heavy , so I'll leave it there 

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You people over there have got to let this Catholic/Protestant thing go...Middle Ages ended a long time ago....Reformation is long since over....for the Love of God let it go finally will ya.

I am a 100% atheist that thinks thanks god should smite all believers.  

• Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

That isn't the problem , it's the fairly even mix of each north of the border , but it's still religion , but this is getting a bit heavy , so I'll leave it there 

No it's not at all. I'm really not sure where you are getting this stuff from but it's astonishingly incorrect.

18 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Perhaps you don't, but the Conservative and Unionist Party do. And they depend on the DUP.

The logical solution is indeed a United Ireland. What the consequences of that are, who knows.

So, we've got our second referendum question sorted then, haven't we?

Do you want?

1. Leave with A and B

2. Leave with B and C

3. Leave with A and C

4. Remain

Add up all the votes for the three leave options. If that number exceeds the number of votes for Remain, then Leave wins, and whichever was the most popular choice of the three Leave options, gets implemented. If, however, the total votes for Remain exceeds the total votes cast for the three Leave options, Remain wins. Sorted.

I've always been one of the more supportive people on here towards honouring the result of the first referendum, but I'm getting thoroughly sick of this now. After three years, we've achieved almost nothing. We've got a million other things to be sorting out in this country. And the Leave voters on here can't even give an answer to the question.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

And the Leave voters on here can't even give an answer to the question.

Nail on the head there, it's not the leaving that bothers me about brexit it's the Leavers. And I think I'll Leave that there.

" I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Imagine how far down the rabbit hole you must be to start blaming 'remoaners' for not doing something that they have said since day one they don't want to do and would not be able to do.

4 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Imagine how far down the rabbit hole you must be to start blaming 'remoaners' for not doing something that they have said since day one they don't want to do and would not be able to do.

Like many right wingers (I include some labour voters), Brexiteers don't get irony.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Founded by a Protestant though, wasn’t it?

And, for a long time, the reality was that the theocratic, poorer south, couldn’t have necessarily afforded taking over the six counties with all the complex issues that would throw up. That may not be the case now.

Don't get me wrong, the days of Rome Rule are long gone but I don't think it was unreasonable to be worried about being part of a united Ireland in the 1920s. I would argue that the experience of the Irish state for the first 50 years or so, somewhat justifies those fears. 

50 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

So, we've got our second referendum question sorted then, haven't we?

Do you want?

1. Leave with A and B

2. Leave with B and C

3. Leave with A and C

4. Remain

Add up all the votes for the three leave options. If that number exceeds the number of votes for Remain, then Leave wins, and whichever was the most popular choice of the three Leave options, gets implemented. If, however, the total votes for Remain exceeds the total votes cast for the three Leave options, Remain wins. Sorted.

I've always been one of the more supportive people on here towards honouring the result of the first referendum, but I'm getting thoroughly sick of this now. After three years, we've achieved almost nothing. We've got a million other things to be sorting out in this country. And the Leave voters on here can't even give an answer to the question.

Now you're showing your true colours.

I would regard anything you say in future as bogus.

4 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

They still know that a no deal is damaging and a long extension improves the likelihood of a soft Brexit and even a reversal.

I also think this is where the march and petition has had an effect, in that it's meant they've remembered that that pro-EU Brits still exist and in a big number. 

Only half of what it was though, if you're basing Brexit options on the numbers signing that petition.

5 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Now you're showing your true colours.

I would regard anything you say in future as bogus.

What is it that you dislike about my proposed 2nd referendum question?