Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Labour still refusing to allow free votes meaning the fallback position of “no deal” will remain rather than change to fallback of Revoke and start again. 

Quite pathetic really. 

Actually it is the opposite. Labour refused to whip for the amendment but allowed a free vote. That's why there are many fairly hardcore Corbynites - like my MP - who voted for it. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

Looking at the numbers... 5 Lib Dems voted against the Customs Union.  Sometimes I wonder, I really do... Even if they’d abstained it’d have won.

I have a large whisky, I think I need it.

Why would you want to go with a customs union?  That would mean us being unable to trade independently either within or outside the EU.  The EU would decide all our trade as we wouldn't be a member of the EU anymore but would be in a customs union with the bloc.  I'm really surprised at you ckn that you haven't realised what being in a customs union but not a member of the EU would mean.

Clearly either many MPs have not considered this or they are too focused on party politics/their own individual agendas to care.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Why would you want to go with a customs union?  That would mean us being unable to trade independently either within or outside the EU.  The EU would decide all our trade as we wouldn't be a member of the EU anymore but would be in a customs union with the bloc.  I'm really surprised at you ckn that you haven't realised what being in a customs union but not a member of the EU would mean.

Clearly either many MPs have not considered this or they are too focused on party politics/their own individual agendas to care.

I agree. Turkey has a Customs Union with the EU but there are many disadvantages.

It was only ever supposed to be a stepping stone to full EU membership. 

5 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

This is why you should really try to stay on script if you don't understand the material.

We would be able to 'trade independently' outside the EU - we would just have to use those magical WTO terms.

We would also be able to 'trade independently' inside the EU too. Because, well, that's the point.

It's a ###### option compared to being in the EU, but better than going for a hard Mauritania.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Oh is that people finally realised that the customs union does not equal EU membership?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

11 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Oh is that people finally realised that the customs union does not equal EU membership?

We knew that before the referendum.☺

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niels said:

We knew that before the referendum.☺

Yet people keep saying a Norway or customs union isn't leaving.  

8 hours ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

No deal is the ultimate clusterf@@@.

So no deal it is then! It's the default position if Parliament can't agree a deal. It's what Parliament voted 498 to 114 for. 

It's going to be "fun"! ? 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

23 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This is why you should really try to stay on script if you don't understand the material.

We would be able to 'trade independently' outside the EU - we would just have to use those magical WTO terms.

We would also be able to 'trade independently' inside the EU too. Because, well, that's the point.

It's a ###### option compared to being in the EU, but better than going for a hard Mauritania.

Turkey has to comply with the EU’s position in the World Trade Organisation, despite the fact that its priorities for global trade may differ substantially.

There are growing calls within Turkey to revisit the customs union.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

This is quite true.   Britain’s warehouses are stuffed to the gunwhales.  

Building that stock has probably kept the UK out of recession.  But that stock will have to be used eventually.     They’ll all stop buying at once....

• Sad 2

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

46 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Solution , revoke article 50 , call a general election , but ALL current MPs to resign and not stand for re-election

I’d ban every single one of them from holding public office at any level ever again!

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

1 hour ago, shrek said:

I don't think its that many, I thought going into tonight she had a majority of 0, but with the DUP support had 10 votes to play with.

So I think, she's -1 now, or 9 with DUP support, so only going to take a handful of others to follow or the tiniest rebellion and as we're seeing May's getting nothing done, even if they can get past Brexit.

I might be wrong on the figures above, but there there or there abouts, not sure if anyone will have updated so quickly following Bowles going.

Nope, going into tonight she had 314 seats plus 10 from the DUP, giving 324. This is actually two short of an outright parliamentary majority of 326, but because the 7 Sinn Fein MPs don't take up their seats it means the number required for an effective majority is actually slightly lower at 322. Following Boles resignation she's now at 323 including the DUP, so if another two Tory MPs were to resign she would lose her majority even with the DUP, which presumably would trigger an election, I'm not sure of the constitutional situation regarding that, I guess it would depend if she could convince individual independent MPs to continue to prop the government up.

32 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I understand what you are saying ☺

4 hours ago, ckn said:

And, no, it’s not what it says in the letter.  It effectively says that they’ll support a 2nd referendum after everything else fails and we’re too late because we’re out of the EU anyway.

That... is conference policy. Pursue a Labour version of Brexit, attempt to force a general election if necessary and if all else fails then back a second referendum to prevent a damaging Tory Brexit. Literally conference policy to a tee.

9 hours ago, ckn said:

Ah, but is it A customs union or THE customs union. Or even that customs union or t’other customs union?

ps. You really don’t need to increase the size of your text. We can read it you know on the default settings

It doesn't really matter it's an indication of how we got this far driving away from something without knowing what it is ...

ps. It's a headline cut and pasted ..... not many people know that!

" I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

Tory members back no-deal Brexit and Johnson as Prime Minister

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17543164.tory-members-back-no-deal-brexit-and-johnson-as-prime-minister/

If you're happy with this circumstance ...... here it is!

" I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Er, it isn't.  The Norway option includes freedom of movement.  Ergo, it is not leaving.

7 hours ago, Just Browny said:

The EU would determine our trade terms but we would not have an input.  Hence, we would not be trading independently either within or outside the EU.

Good result for May. She's now remarkably close to getting her deal through.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Everybody ready for another day at the fun factory ?

Cabinet meeting with no civil servants present. So, nothing now until mid afternoon.

My prediction: yet another TV address by May telling us that she knows what we want and so the WA is going back to MPs.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I did laugh watching this. It seems like little has changed in 41 years when it comes to the EU and the same attitudes prevail against it:

44 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Er, it isn't.  The Norway option includes freedom of movement.  Ergo, it is not leaving.

It is leaving the EU.  It might not meet your version of Leave, but it’s still leaving and fulfils the referendum question.