Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's just the same at the Brexit Party rallies. I think you have to be white and over 50 to join.

Clearly you have ignored the pictures I've put on here about the candidates for the Brexit Party or indeed have ignored the pictures of the rallies.  Not that they had any exposure on mainstream TV of course but I saw plenty of videos and such like on Twitter.

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

And you got those figures from where exactly?

From the BBC and the ESRC funded party members project.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48395211

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Clearly you have ignored the pictures I've put on here about the candidates for the Brexit Party or indeed have ignored the pictures of the rallies.  Not that they had any exposure on mainstream TV of course but I saw plenty of videos and such like on Twitter.

The pictures of every brexit party rally I have seen show an overwhelmingly grey haired (if any) and white audience.  Their candidates however are younger (relative and mostly) and more diverse.  

And complaining that the Brexit party has not had media exposure is quite laughable.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

From the BBC and the ESRC funded party members project.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48395211

Interestingly though the BBC doesn't actually know how many members the Tory party has and so it's amazing that their research can discover information about the racial, age and salary make up of the party membership.  Clearly nobody came north to ask about those I have gone knocking on doors with!

15 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I've seen footage of the rallies on mainstream tv and in the main the audience is male, white and over fifty. I don't see any point in denying what your eyes should be telling you.

1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The pictures of every brexit party rally I have seen show an overwhelmingly grey haired (if any) and white audience.  Their candidates however are younger (relative and mostly) and more diverse.  

And complaining that the Brexit party has not had media exposure is quite laughable.  

I didn't complain about Brexit Party media exposure; I mentioned that the rallies hadn't been given exposure on mainstream TV, which they haven't.  I'm not bothered one way or another.  As I said on the Brexit Party thread (or maybe the EU elections thread - they all merged in the end), I voted Brexit Party as a protest vote.  I'm not remotely bothered what happens to them now the EU elections are done.

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Interestingly though the BBC doesn't actually know how many members the Tory party has and so it's amazing that their research can discover information about the racial, age and salary make up of the party membership.  Clearly nobody came north to ask about those I have gone knocking on doors with!

Yes I'm sure your anecdotal evidence of one, is far far more accurate.  

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've seen footage of the rallies on mainstream tv and in the main the audience is male, white and over fifty. I don't see any point in denying what your eyes should be telling you.

Clearly we have been watching different rallies.  While I would expect events outside of London to be predominantly white (since the UK is predominantly white), I've seen loads of women and younger people at the rallies posted on Twitter.  I haven't seen any rallies on mainstream TV.

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

One?  I didn't go canvassing on my own, even here in St Helens!

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Clearly we have been watching different rallies.  While I would expect events outside of London to be predominantly white (since the UK is predominantly white), I've seen loads of women and younger people at the rallies posted on Twitter.  I haven't seen any rallies on mainstream TV.

Maybe you don't watch Channel 4. They've given the Faragists plenty of coverage. 

Try 15 minutes of Sky News following Brexit Party rallies.

I voted Brexit Party.

I couldn't give a flying monkeys who attended the rallies, whether they were white, black, Asian, Chinese, gay, lesbian, disabled, old, young, communists, liberals or anything.

My vote for this party at this election was 2 fold: first to hasten the departure of the PM, (mission accomplished) and 2, to remind the British MP's to get on with they have promised for the last 3 years. Anything else for me is immaterial. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Try 15 minutes of Sky News following Brexit Party rallies.

The hotel I'm staying at had this on in the background this morning. I wasn't paying proper attention as it seemed to be a lot of shouting people playing the victim but did someone at some stage refer to "whistling Dixie"? A loaded term to say the least but I didn't get the context. 

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

certainly more accurate than any BBC so called "facts"!

• Haha 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maybe you don't watch Channel 4. They've given the Faragists plenty of coverage. 

She said "mainstream"

• Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

"Taking back control" & "Democracy"

• Sad 2

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

12 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

"Taking back control" & "Democracy"

A few points on that tweet:

1. The leader will be elected, by the Conservative party members.

2. If they promise to leave the EU then they DO have a mandate from the referendum AND 2017 general election.

3. No one knows what the public wants, that is just the posters point of view.

The only factual bit of the tweet is that the Government does not have a majority.

7 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

A few points on that tweet:

1. The leader will be elected, by the Conservative party members.

2. If they promise to leave the EU then they DO have a mandate from the referendum AND 2017 general election.

3. No one knows what the public wants, that is just the posters point of view.

The only factual bit of the tweet is that the Government does not have a majority.

1. Possibly, if it gets that far. May won without even a vote among Tory MPs don't forget.
  2. There is no mandate for a no deal crash out. During the referendum there was no mention of it from anyone; therefore it's deceitful to claim that no deal is what people voted for in 2016.
  3. Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out? All the opinion polls suggest opinion has changed and the trend is towards increasing support for remain as each month goes by. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

3 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:
  1. Possibly, if it gets that far. May won without even a vote among Tory MPs don't forget.
  2. There is no mandate for a no deal crash out. During the referendum there was no mention of it from anyone; therefore it's deceitful to claim that no deal is what people voted for in 2016.
  3. Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out? All the opinion polls suggest opinion has changed and the trend is towards increasing support for remain as each month goes by. 

1. Similar to Gordon Brown then.

2. Who mentioned 'crashing out'? Leaving the EU is leaving the EU. If you or others want to put up fancy adjectives then that's up to you.

3. We had 2 massive opinion polls, a referendum and a general election. Both decisive in their results.

15 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

1. Similar to Gordon Brown then.

2. Who mentioned 'crashing out'? Leaving the EU is leaving the EU. If you or others want to put up fancy adjectives then that's up to you.

3. We had 2 massive opinion polls, a referendum and a general election. Both decisive in their results.

Ha - bit in bold. We should have left the EU on 29 Mar 19 but Brexiteers blocked it. “Leaving the EU is leaving the EU” after all...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Ha - bit in bold. We should have left the EU on 29 Mar 19 but Brexiteers blocked it. “Leaving the EU is leaving the EU” after all...

The WA was and is not leaving the EU.

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

The WA was and is not leaving the EU.

That is not true.

Norway and Switzerland were cited regularly as examples of success outside the EU by the Leave campaign. 

I know there are differing views on whether untrue facts are lies or equal opinions, but it is worth mentioning. 

• Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

WTF is up with you?....and others in here similarly afflicted. It's highly offensive of you to suggest that anyone on here holds that view and ypu should remove your post.

But that was the implication.  It's wrong to throw a milkshake, but shooting them is just fine.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

If the Brexit party is proved to have won the Euro elections at the expense of the Tory party. then the Tories'll run for cover, and select Johnson by a landslide.  The 120,000 odd Tory members are known to be overwhelmingly pro Brexit.  They'll elect him by a similar landslide. And a no deal Brexit will then be on the cards.  It's come to a pretty pass when 120,000 people plus 300 odd in Parliament can decide on a policy that the world and his wife outside these islands know will be a disaster.  God help us!  Unless the anti Brexit rump of the Tory party grow a pair and Corbyn realises the disastrous pass his fence sitting has brought us to, we are in for years of misery.  The UN won't need to come and inspect us, it'll be plain from the outside that the UK is now a basket case.  Never mind though Aaron Banks and his cronies will be quids in.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.