Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

12 minutes ago, Trojan said:

But that was the implication.  It's wrong to throw a milkshake, but shooting them is just fine.

There are plenty on both sides who believe their side is not only correct but also more morally right. 

That means minor assault might be justified by their side, but thuggishness from the other side. 

Equally, murder, attempted murder, and lying about assasination attempts will be isolated incidents of individuals if from the foodie side, but eliminate claims of moral superiority if from the other side. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

58 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

There are plenty on both sides who believe their side is not only correct but also more morally right. 

That means minor assault might be justified by their side, but thuggishness from the other side. 

Equally, murder, attempted murder, and lying about assasination attempts will be isolated incidents of individuals if from the foodie side, but eliminate claims of moral superiority if from the other side. 

Throwing smelly sticky things at your opponents has a long and honourable history in British politics. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. If it's good enough for John Prescott it's good enough for Farage/Yaxley-Lennon etc.

Shooting people has no place in life full stop.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just now, Trojan said:

Throwing smelly sticky things at your opponents has a long and honourable history in British politics. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. If it's good enough for John Prescott it's good enough for Farage/Yaxley-Lennon etc.

Shooting people has no place in life full stop.

I supported John Prescot punching the man back. If someone threw a milkshake at me, I might react forcibly (depends on the day and circumstances). So I do not think it is okay.  

I do not think it is serious particularly. Certainly not compared to Farage lying about a murder attempt. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I supported John Prescot punching the man back. If someone threw a milkshake at me, I might react forcibly (depends on the day and circumstances). So I do not think it is okay.  

I do not think it is serious particularly. Certainly not compared to Farage lying about a murder attempt. 

My opinion is that if the IRA had managed to sneak a flour bomb into the conference centre in 1984, it would have had a much better outcome for them than the bomb.  The bomb made Maggie into a heroine, a flour bomb or some sort of custard pie would have made her look ridiculous.

on

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Turnout doesn't prove who is voting but this thread is interesting if you want a hint of how tomorrow night will unfold -

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

1. Similar to Gordon Brown then.

2. Who mentioned 'crashing out'? Leaving the EU is leaving the EU. If you or others want to put up fancy adjectives then that's up to you.

3. We had 2 massive opinion polls, a referendum and a general election. Both decisive in their results.

I believe there is no mandate to leave with no deal, but stand to be corrected.Page 24 of the Labour Party Manifesto says;

Labour recognises that leaving the EU with ‘no deal’ is the worst possible deal for Britain and that it would do damage to our economy and trade. We will reject ‘no deal’ as a viable option and if needs be negotiate transitional arrangements to avoid a cliff-edge’ for the 8. economy.

According to this tweet the same can also be said for the Lib Dems, SNP, Green, Sinn Fein and Plaid Cymru, I've no reason to doubt it but feel free to, granted its only 53.3% of the electorate rejecting no deal, but bigger decisions have been made with smaller numbers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 hours ago, shrek said:

I believe there is no mandate to leave with no deal, but stand to be corrected.Page 24 of the Labour Party Manifesto says;

According to this tweet the same can also be said for the Lib Dems, SNP, Green, Sinn Fein and Plaid Cymru, I've no reason to doubt it but feel free to, granted its only 53.3% of the electorate rejecting no deal, but bigger decisions have been made with smaller numbers!

Other than it being the law, of course, as voted in by a massive majority in Parliament when Article 50 was invoked.

I have three regular drinking buddies. They are all long time Labour voters as I am.On Thursday I was the only one to vote Labour. Two voted Lib Dem and one couldn't stomach that so he voted for the Greens. These were purely protest votes against Brexit and Labour's policy regarding the issue. When Labour eventually comes out for a second vote, which they will, my pals will return to the fold.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When Labour eventually comes out for a second vote, which they will, my pals will return to the fold.

It’ll be too little, too late. We’ll be gone in Oct 19.

12 hours ago, Steve May said:

What a great article. Nick Cohen is a very good political writer and has been equally critical of the current Labour party.

Kipling finishes with his own warning that

reality always bites:

As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn, 
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

No one should mourn when the flames slaughter the wabbling right. It has doused itself in petrol and yearns to be burned. Its readiness to set the rest of the country ablaze should be our sole concern.

And it will. Hard.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

What a great article. Nick Cohen is a very good political writer and has been equally critical of the current Labour party.

As I mentioned in another thread David Gaulk has a well thought out article on this subject in today's " Sunday Observer ".

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Meanwhile all that Farage has to offer by way of solution to the complexity of the problems of brexit is "faith".

Brexit is nothing more than a religion.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I'd be quite certain it isn't all far right.  There are also extremist Muslims who don't like Jews and an awful lot of Muslims have been allowed into Germany of late, most of whom brought no paperwork with them so there is no way of checking where they stand on the extremist measure.  Both far right and potential Islamists need to be kept a close eye on.

Just now, Saintslass said:

There are also extremist Muslims who don't like Jews

Yes there are.  

However I'm yet to see Farage giving them speeches and Rees-Mogg singing their praises?

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

40 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yes there are.  

However I'm yet to see Farage giving them speeches and Rees-Mogg singing their praises?

I have no idea what your point is.  Maybe you can elaborate on it?

Just now, Saintslass said:

I have no idea what your point is.  Maybe you can elaborate on it?

The far right mentioned are the AfD.  Farage has given speeches for the AfD.  Rees-Mogg has retweeted the AfD positively.  Antisemitism from parts of the muslim population is a problem too, but that wasn't the point of the original tweet.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Meanwhile all that Farage has to offer by way of solution to the complexity of the problems of brexit is "faith".

Brexit is nothing more than a religion.

It’s more like a millenarian cult. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

27 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The far right mentioned are the AfD.  Farage has given speeches for the AfD.  Rees-Mogg has retweeted the AfD positively.  Antisemitism from parts of the muslim population is a problem too, but that wasn't the point of the original tweet.  

I was challenging the original tweet though.  The focus is all upon the far right when it isn't only the far right that is a risk when it comes to anti-Semitism.  As we have seen under Corbyn, the far left is also a risk, as is extreme Islam.  We would do well to challenge such tweets to make sure that ALL risks are highlighted.

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I was challenging the original tweet though.  The focus is all upon the far right when it isn't only the far right that is a risk when it comes to anti-Semitism.  As we have seen under Corbyn, the far left is also a risk, as is extreme Islam.  We would do well to challenge such tweets to make sure that ALL risks are highlighted.

I was reading about anti semitism attacks in Germany, France and Sweden yesterday. Also about safety wearing the Yarmulke. There are many articles about this online. 

Unfortunately nearly all attacks are perpetrated by immigrants from the middle East or north Africa. The most dangerous places are the cities with large Islamic populations, Malmo, Marseilles, Berlin. 

It has been suggested that the beneficiaries of hard Brexit (which is still not an actual way forward) would be a very small number of extraordinarily wealthy people who would get to tax dodge. For that they would see the country burn. If that is the case, most experts would say it is terrible, but these few people could fund media and a political campaign  

On the other hand, we are told that there is a specific Brexit in mind that has real world advantages for ordinary people. But, the details of the plan and its advantages are known to all Leavers but are a big secret. 

To refute the suggestion the this is a big con, with scare stories similar to Popish plots of centuries past... can we be let in on the secret? It really does not seem much to ask. 

• Like 3

It could be a rough night for the Tories and Labour. The news is predicting this order for raw votes:

- Brexit
- Lib Dems
- Labour
- Tories
- Green

Labour are predicted to come 4th in Wales, only the second time in over 100 years that they haven’t topped a national poll in Wales.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

A hint of how it’ll go in the East of England:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain