Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

7 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

South East is the bIggest UK constituencyso will be interesting to see how it goes

Brexit Party the biggest as you imagine. But hammered by the Remain Parties collectively.

Edited by GeordieSaint

Only about 4 in 10 could be asred to vote.

Of those 4 about 2 wanted to go and 2 wanted to remain.

Guess what? The country is divided.

Brexit party has done well and unless the remaining parties are prepared to combine and stop stabbing each other in their backs they will shoot each other in the foot( pardon my mixed metaphor)

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

4 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Brexit party has done well and unless the remaining parties are prepared to combine and stop stabbing each other in their backs they will shoot each other in the foot( pardon my mixed metaphor)

That’s about it in a nutshell.  And the hardline supporters of each of remain and leave will be pretending the results are firm statements of each voter’s exact intent and that they mean whatever suits today’s spin.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Brexit Party the biggest as you imagine. But hammered by the Remain Parties collectively.

Having worked on a transport committee with J.Howarth and discussed the EU 10 odd years ago I am 99% sure he is remain

7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Agreed - divided; the public and Parliament. 

All I will say is many predicted 35-40% for Brexit & reamin with Con/Lab sharing 20-30%

As it is Brexit looking like 35 and Remain 40 with Tory 9.2 & lab 13.6 looks more remain than leave (on average)

Oh dear, what a pity, never mind. Tommy Robinson not getting an MEP seat, not even close.

• Like 6

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Oh dear, what a pity, never mind. Tommy Robinson not getting an MEP seat, not even close.

And his result greeted by those present entirely appropriately.

Widdicombe is n obnoxious toerag, always was and has got worse.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The Dear Leader still plugging the same message:

“After three years of Tory failure to deliver a Brexit that works for the whole country, these elections became a proxy second referendum.

With the Conservatives disintegrating and unable to govern, and parliament deadlocked, this issue will have to go back to the people, whether through a general election or a public vote. 

Labour will bring our divided country together so we can end austerity and tackle inequality.

Over the coming days we will have conversations across our party and movement, and reflect on these results on both sides of the Brexit divide.

We will not let the continuing chaos in the Conservative Party push our country into a no-deal exit from the EU. 

Parliament can and will prevent such a damaging outcome for jobs and industry in the UK.”

Edited by GeordieSaint

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Widdicombe is n obnoxious toerag, always was and has got worse.

Quite a thing to see a politician glory in their complete lack of any political agenda.

Still pushing the Brexiteer lie about the EU will suddenly realise that they have to give us an amazing super-special deal now that 30-odd% have voted for these nutters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

Quite a thing to see a politician glory in their complete lack of any political agenda.

Still pushing the Brexiteer lie about the EU will suddenly realise that they have to give us an amazing super-special deal now that 30-odd% have voted for these nutters.

To be fair, I think she did say she wanted an clean Brexit i.e. No Deal.

• Confused 1

One thing that’ll be intensely interesting is that this is the 2nd election this month where both “main” parties have been roundly punished with significant defections of voters. Both parties are so wrecked by Brexit that I can’t see a way back for either without serious compromise.

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

One thing that’ll be intensely interesting is that this is the 2nd election this month where both “main” parties have been roundly punished with significant defections of voters. Both parties are so wrecked by Brexit that I can’t see a way back for either without serious compromise.

I am not sure where the tories go in terms of a compromise. Their members want them to go even further towards a no-deal according to the stats. 

The compromise for Labour should be easier, but we all know that with the current leadership, it is unlikely to happen.

1 minute ago, distantdog said:

I am not sure where the tories go in terms of a compromise. Their members want them to go even further towards a no-deal according to the stats. 

The compromise for Labour should be easier, but we all know that with the current leadership, it is unlikely to happen.

I actually think the Tories have the easier battle.  They could take a leaf out of Thatcher’s book and ignore anyone not in their core target vote, if they went with Boris and a hardest of hard Brexit then they’d probably get 35% voting electorate and probably just enough for a majority.  Labour are genuinely split in a harder way as they’d be going up against the resurgent Lib Dems and a Green Party thinking more MPs would be good.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I actually think the Tories have the easier battle.  They could take a leaf out of Thatcher’s book and ignore anyone not in their core target vote, if they went with Boris and a hardest of hard Brexit then they’d probably get 35% voting electorate and probably just enough for a majority.  Labour are genuinely split in a harder way as they’d be going up against the resurgent Lib Dems and a Green Party thinking more MPs would be good.

Not sure about Labour. I do think that they are the only party to deliver no brexit, but have to commit and be genuine about it, which they have difficulty doing on anything under the dear leader. I think that there are enough tory mp's currently to prevent no-deal. The killer for them is if they end up forced into a GE and a coup takes place by hard line leavers.

• Sad 1

So Farage has yet again been democratically elected to an undemocratic institution that he wants nothing to do with. I am starting to suspect that he doesn't actually want to leave because if we do then his fight will be over and then what else is there for him to stay in the public eye?

The really annoying thing about the Labour collapse is that, I believe, all who have lost their seats were strongly pro-Remain and anti-Brexit but have been “punished” for the core party’s mishandling of the entire subject.

An interesting Scottish view on it.  The Scottish Tory message was: “vote for us to show Sturgeon we don’t want more referendums”.  They’re predicted to get a final result below even the most pessimistic of polls from before Thursday, while the SNP are on target for their highest vote in these elections. 😄 

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

The really annoying thing about the Labour collapse is that, I believe, all who have lost their seats were strongly pro-Remain and anti-Brexit but have been “punished” for the core party’s mishandling of the entire subject.

Or maybe a lot of Labour voters are more in align with the Leader than the pro remain candidates that lost?

• Like 1

I really dread to think what state we’d be in now with Miliband as PM. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ckn said:

That’s about it in a nutshell.  And the hardline supporters of each of remain and leave will be pretending the results are firm statements of each voter’s exact intent and that they mean whatever suits today’s spin.

I doubt that although you may be right.  

From my POV, first of all the turnout nationally was only 37%.  That's against 76% for the 2016 referendum.  So the EU elections are not remotely representative of what the wider electorate may be thinking.  But if we extrapolate we find that the leave/remain vote is neck and neck given that we can't really say where the rump Labour and Tory voters stand on the matter.  Greens complicate things because while they do say they are pro-remain, they are also strongly driven by environmental matters and so the chances are there would be a higher percentage voting for other issues with that party than for others which are pro-remain.  But even taking that into account, the country is divided pretty much along the same lines as in 2016.

58 minutes ago, distantdog said:

The big mistake of the Tories was to go for compromise.  What should have happened, and what I was expecting when leave won the vote, was for the Tories to carry the Brexit vision forward and go to bat on the three principles, which they didn't do.  It became bogged down in project fear part 2, soundbites, meaningless statements and, as it turned out, a PM who couldn't be honest if she had been paid a million quid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

And as I said pre these results - you need to compare Brexit+UKIP with Libdem+Green+Change+SNP/Plaid ignoring Lab/Con . I (agreed by others) were guessing 35-40% for both of those groupings

On the latest results that is

31.7+3.3 (35% the very  bottom of pre election estimates) vs 20.5 + 12.1 + 3.5  + 3.6/1.1 ( 40.8% above the top of pre election estimates)

Currently Remain is beating Leave by a fairly big margin -

I think there is a massive flaw in that you are assuming all Brexit supporters voted either the Brexit party or UKIP. It also assumes Conservative and Labour Voters were split equally.

UKIP wanted to put English children first in Education so that was a non starter. The Brexit party had some dubious candidates, the lady in the north west for example. 

A lot of moderate brexit supporters or those with ethnic origins would surely have voted Conservative or other mainstream.

If you are including Liberal Democrats and SNP but not Conservatives or Labour then that will artificially affect the figures as these are mainstream parties. 

I couldn't vote for Brexit/UKIP myself and deliberately went for a party comprising both leavers and remainers. Therefore I and others similar shouldn't be automatically assumed to be either remain or else cancelled out by others in the 2 main parties.

Edited by Niels

Am I right in thinking that every time Reeta Chakrabarti uses her "giant touch screen" there is a BBC intern in a back office somewhere wielding a mouse to match what she presses on a graphics package to do the magic?

Edited by M j M