Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

I wonder what impact the EU citizens who voted in the UK had upon the result?  No way of finding out but I was just wondering.  I assume virtually all of them will have voted remain.  

I wouldnt assume that - my mate from rugby's wife is a POle and they are hard line Blue WTO Brexit - they have of course sorted Polish passports for both daughters "just in case they need them" but they are of the "there are enough foreigners here it is time to pull up the drawbridge" persuasion

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Alternatively, come the 1st November 2022 when the people of Europe look across the Channel and see how well a self governing UK is doing in the 3 years since they left the EU and observing it growing from strength to strength will think, we thought it wouldn't work but those brave plucky one's who had the foresight and vision to back themselves have been proved correct.

We are self-governing. From a Parliament in Westminster. How can you not know this? It is very basic. 

On a similarly basic point, please clarify what specifically our borders will be like with the EU and what the overall specific advantages will be? You know, things that are not here years overdue. 

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Widdecombe's Interview last night was one of the funniest I have seen after an election, it was well worth staying up for last night, I don't think I have been more worried for a politicians sanity since Thatcher.

I would also point out that although counting wasn't announced until last night, it had taken part in England and Wales on Thursday night/Friday Morning, and the results would've been available to the government, and May would have realised she was up the creek without a canoe, let alone a paddle. 

When I cast my vote on Thursday I thought the ballot paper was about as long as a roll of toilet paper, but much less use. I did notice during last nights election announcements that there seemed to be a large increase in spoiled/wasted Ballot papers (Mine included). I put mine in blank, because I couldn't bring myself to vote for anyone once I got into the booth.

Then don't moan or congratulate the result it is not worth it, you were as millions of others were given the opportunity to "make a difference" you chose not to excersize that right.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will most definatley agree with you on this point Steve, and of those who cast a vote on Thursday many  Labour defectors, as I stated in an earlier post and quoted the report - in case you missed it :-

"As for the two main parties, Labour particularly struggled to pick up votes in areas that voted strongly for Leave in 2016, averaging less than one in ten votes in those local authorities"

If you look at the "voting map" and highlight the areas for the returned figures of the districts that are Labour seats quite a lot of people have excersized "your first time betrayal" and like yourself they are not guaranteed to return.

The Labour leadership have been sucked into a media narrative that Labour voters - particular “Labour voters in its Northern heartlands” are uniformly in favour of a hard Brexit.  This narrative was pushed hard by The Brexit Party last night and is being repeated today in the media, as it has been for months.

But Labour voters were extremely strongly in favour of remaining in the EU.   Even in areas where Labour piles up the votes and Leave won strongly, the majority of Labour voters were still in favour of remaining in the EU.  

Labour voters and members are behind only the Lib Dems and Greens in being pro-EU.   

The leadership of the Labour Party can’t escape this reality forever.

• Like 1

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

1 minute ago, SSoutherner said:

So people who don't like Labour think it's a bad thing and people who do like Labour think it's a good thing, people who don't want Brexit want it to happen and people who like Brexit don't want it to happen. Truly groundbreaking conclusions there.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then don't moan or congratulate the result it is not worth it, you were as millions of others were given the opportunity to "make a difference" you chose not to excersize that right.

Have I "Moaned or Congratulated" anyone in my post? I don't think I did.

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

10 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

So people who don't like Labour think it's a bad thing and people who do like Labour think it's a good thing, people who don't want Brexit want it to happen and people who like Brexit don't want it to happen. Truly groundbreaking conclusions there.

It was in reply to people saying that Northern Labour voters really want to leave - labour is a national party and on average nationally it seems there party is more for a 2nd ref than against

Hilariously (as i live within the same area T.May lives) the local FB is full of a joke thread about erecting a statue in her honour - the latest leading place for the statue is "next to the urinal in the new loos"

19 minutes ago, Steve May said:

The Labour leadership have been sucked into a media narrative that Labour voters - particular “Labour voters in its Northern heartlands” are uniformly in favour of a hard Brexit.  This narrative was pushed hard by The Brexit Party last night and is being repeated today in the media, as it has been for months.

But Labour voters were extremely strongly in favour of remaining in the EU.   Even in areas where Labour piles up the votes and Leave won strongly, the majority of Labour voters were still in favour of remaining in the EU.  

Labour voters and members are behind only the Lib Dems and Greens in being pro-EU.   

The leadership of the Labour Party can’t escape this reality forever.

In St Helens and Wigan, two extreme Labour areas, the Brexit Party not only won but dominated. So I guess the narrative is as incorrect as you suggest.

10 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

It was in reply to people saying that Northern Labour voters really want to leave - labour is a national party and on average nationally it seems there party is more for a 2nd ref than against

No, it's just a stereotype promoted mostly by out-of-touch Oxbridge journalists and London-based establishment media types that Northerners are dumb backwards people who are a prime target for tubthumping rabble-rousers. I remember when Paul Nuttall became UKIP leader there was some idiot on the BBC talking about how Labour should be terrified because "UKIP has a Northern accent". Don't remember if they were supposed to be a right wing or a left wing commentator, but it doesn't really make a difference. If the whole process of Brexit has shown anything it's that these people just don't have a clue and their opinions should mostly be disregarded.

Edited by Evil Homer

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

In St Helens and Wigan, two extreme Labour areas, the Brexit Party not only won but dominated. So I guess the narrative is as incorrect as you suggest.

As they did in 2014. So far 'the Brexit Party' is running at 31% of the vote share, in 2014 Farage's UKIP was also the biggest party with 27% of the vote share. So I'm not sure this is really even news.

Edited by Evil Homer

6 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Hilariously (as i live within the same area T.May lives) the local FB is full of a joke thread about erecting a statue in her honour - the latest leading place for the statue is "next to the urinal in the new loos"

Put it next to the other lady.

thatcher bog.jpg

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Funny listening to Farage saying that the tories don't want to leave, remain party, etc etc, then in the next breath having to add their votes to the Brexit Party and UKIP to get a majority leave vote last night.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Nothing changes.  

What Brexit should look like according to Brexiteers is still a secret and the specific advantages are still a secret. Basic questions as to what they want are still unanswered after three years.  

But we are expected to believe them. 

At least Santa Claus leaves a present as evidence. 

No Deal Brexit is not a definition of Brexit. It is another NOT THAT. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Gingers pre vote prediction wasn't far off.  A third hard leave, a third hard remain and a third for a compromise deal.  

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

Absolutely. Backward, Dead-beat northern towns which the locals like to call " good, honest working-class areas" etc are in reality breeding grounds for xenophobic uneducated masses who prefer to believe that "foreigners" are responsible for their predicament as opppsed to examining themselves more closely.

This is backed up by the Brexit Party/UKIP/ BNP etc gaining popularity in what were once labour areas.

As you say Saintslass - the data don't lie.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

4 minutes ago, Celt said:

Absolutely. Backward, Dead-beat northern towns which the locals like to call " good, honest working-class areas" etc are in reality breeding grounds for xenophobic uneducated masses who prefer to believe that "foreigners" are responsible for their predicament as opppsed to examining themselves more closely.

This is backed up by the Brexit Party/UKIP/ BNP etc gaining popularity in what were once labour areas.

You are Lady Nugee and I claim my €10. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

No, it's just a stereotype promoted mostly by out-of-touch Oxbridge journalists and London-based establishment media types that Northerners are dumb backwards people who are a prime target for tubthumping rabble-rousers. I remember when Paul Nuttall became UKIP leader there was some idiot on the BBC talking about how Labour should be terrified because "UKIP has a Northern accent". Don't remember if they were supposed to be a right wing or a left wing commentator, but it doesn't really make a difference. If the whole process of Brexit has shown anything it's that these people just don't have a clue and their opinions should mostly be disregarded.

That is your opinion and I certainly respect it. However in my experience, (and looking at the polls....) The tub thumping rabble rousers do seem to be very popular in the north among those with low educational qualifications.

A good mate of mine was playing RL in Bradford a few years ago (Bank Top). He told me training had to be cancelled any time the local BNP ha a meeting a so many players were involved in he party.

Edited by Celt

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

17 minutes ago, Celt said:

And sometimes someone really is a snooty elitist. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You are Lady Nugee and I claim my €10.

I don't think you can even remember why you're dog whistling any more.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

I don't think you can even remember why you're dog whistling any more.

I don't think he can either, but I do remember. It's because a woman has dared to put herself forward to advocate a point of view he doesn't agree with, so he has decided to attack her for her husband.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

23 minutes ago, Celt said:

Young people tend to leave St Helens and Wigan to look for work. Particularly those who are qualified and willing to see a short term drop in their standard of living. The young who hate the idea of change or difference are more likely to stay. 

Older people also stay. 

Young people move to the towns in small numbers. 

That does have an effect. It tilts the balance to more social conservatism. 

It does not equate to a breeding ground for xenophobic masses. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

It does not equate to a breeding ground for xenophobic masses. 

I think Laxley lennon only got about 2%, which considering the publicity he has had is pretty poor.  

• Like 1