Keighley

Moscow01

In recent weeks they’ve lost most of their best players, and I’ve just heard from a very reliable source that the financial situation at present is ‘desperate’. 

What’s going on there and what’s the story on this ‘Austria Holdings’ that took them over in the summer? 

6 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

In recent weeks they’ve lost most of their best players, and I’ve just heard from a very reliable source that the financial situation at present is ‘desperate’. 

What’s going on there and what’s the story on this ‘Austria Holdings’ that took them over in the summer? 

From what i could find online it's just a Wakefield based (?) businessman who's started a few businesses in his time shall we say. It's not looking good. I don't think there's money there.

Seems like no one really knows what's going on least of all us Keighley fans. The following posted on Facebook by former director Simon Harrison is the closest you'll currently find to an explanation. 

As you may already know Neil Cullen  and myself resigned as directors of Keighley Cougars because we didn’t have the backing of the new owners and were not in a position to carry out our duties as directors.

Since then we have stepped back and given the new owners the benefit, space and respect to rebuild Cougars. However, we have been forced to listen to and read online all the false promises and lies.  Not only that, we have endured the wrath of some uneducated fans who’s comments have been close to liable.

Today (Saturday) after once again another promise to pay the players has past, after all their cheques bounced earlier this week, I understand that both Craig Lingard (coach) & Steve Gill (General manager) are now both offering their resignations due to non payment, and would expect all players who signed again for next season would be reconsidering there positions. Garry Schofield is already taking legal action to receive his wage.
The constant blame on the old regime leaving the club in unmanageable debt and more debt emerging is absolutely not true. We had an executive committee of 8/10 people who all witnessed the extent of the debt on a spreadsheet prepared by Gary Fawcett, highlighting all debts current & future.

Enough is enough I urge all true fans and sponsors to attend the meeting on Thursday to ask questions and get the answers we deserve.

(the meeting referenced in the last paragraph is a Q&A with Steve Gill on the 22nd but I've got to say I'll be surprised if it goes ahead) 

1 minute ago, Moscow01 said:

Christ, it’s not looking good at all. 

I tried visiting their Facebook page but for some reason I couldn’t access it. 

Could we be about to lose another League 1 club? 

Facebook page no longer exists, twitter still up and running. Your guess as good as mine as to why. 

Really worrying developments at cougars. I hope upon hope someone can turn things around for them. The runnings of the club seem worse than ourselves at Oldham. This new owner needs to get a grip as he put himself in this position,now he has to do what's right for the club or does he want to build houses on cougar park just like what happened at watersheddings.

8 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

What a shambles.

3 times he has appointed himself a director and then resigned. It's even worse than Brian Noble/Argyle with their quick changes of ownership of the Toronto UK companies!!!

How do morons like this manage to carry on for so long?

There’s only ever been two resignations (Argyle and Perez) from one of the two UK registered Toronto companies, so hardly “quick changes of ownership”. 

Just now, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

But are clubs viable with only 9 home games? Interesting times, as the Chinese curse goes.

I have a feeling we'll be in a better state than some of the higher-spending teams tbh....and not owning our own ground could be a blessing in disguise in some ways...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

30 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

We're going to be in a 10-team division next year at this rate.....

It’s not good is it ? I wish Keighley well , the game is built on the Keighley’s and the like. But the direction of travel in this league isn’t encouraging or a attractive proposition in terms  of teams working their way back to viability . It was going one way briefly before being yanked back again 

3 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

I have a feeling we'll be in a better state than some of the higher-spending teams tbh....and not owning our own ground could be a blessing in disguise in some ways...

A few recent threads have touched on this. Its an important point.

There are a cadre of clubs (most but not all not traditional ones) that are well run and probably as well supported as many traditional ones but have struggled competitively; often a factor being they do not have access to heartlands and a wider pool of players (or regular DRs).

In all the discussions of what happens to clubs in Champ and L1 there is an argument to be made that you can only continue if you have a solid foundation and business.It almost feels like we need a clear out of those clubs that are failing and rebuild from there rather than limp on as things are.

Really sad though as I was living in West Yorkshire when Keighley were on the up.

10 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

What a shambles.

3 times he has appointed himself a director and then resigned. It's even worse than Brian Noble/Argyle with their quick changes of ownership of the Toronto UK companies!!!

How do morons like this manage to carry on for so long?

What worries me is that potentially an historic club can be sold seemingly without correct due diligence on the new owners.  The person who sells the club is every bit as responsible as the new owner if that is the case.

It's always sad to hear of problems at any club and the Cougars are a team whose results I always look our for. I hope all turns out well but, from what has been said, particularly BD20Cougar's post, it doesn't look good. All the best, guys. 

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Sold as seen Guv, 'appy to offload to the next fool ready to lose some cash. RL is basically fe--ed outside SL and will be royally so when all the funding heads into SL soon. We have 17 viable clubs with anything like a fan base, the 3 outside SL in 2021 might as well close the doors and die

When the new owners came in. It seems money has been spent on the corporate hospitality side of the club.

Yet wages have not been paid. 

The club has had a lot of tough times. But things we are hearing are very worrying.

I really think, this is the end of the club.

Archived