Duffy - I'm so sh*t I joined a sinking ship.

Fev1983

5 minutes ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Yes am good mates with him, fev could have had him wrapped up before newcastle even offered him a contract for quite a bit less than 20k but not half that fev were offering. He packed in the community work quite a while back, due to work commitments, so had already took that drop in wages. Longo told his agent he didnt rate him anyway and wasnt going to budge on the offer, while campbell was on holiday, was too late when he got back as he had already had a good offer off newcastle that fev couldnt match, not going to mention figures as there pretty confidential, but its very good money from newcastle, that he couldnt turn down, with a young family to support. As a player it depends what we class as a superstar, ya chappy style who makes breaks and scores spectacular trys, or a very knowledgable player like keal, who is 1 of the cleverest players in this league around the ruck and put some massive minutes in and defensive efforts, regulary making 40/50 tackles a game.

i believe what mr Longo told his agent is a much used tactic in contract negotiations. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, oldrover said:

i believe what mr Longo told his agent is a much used tactic in contract negotiations. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

All about negotiations. A bit like buying then selling at an auction. Looking for the best deal. Some you win some you lose. 

13 minutes ago, binosh said:

Duffy had been chasing his new contract for months. It never materialised and was a free agent due nothing ever ever being signed. Longo again. Ridyard be gone now by end of week..

How do you tie the two events up?  What have they to do with each other?

3 hours ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Defo didnt this time. Just about made the players mind up. Think id be gone aswell if my employer said they didnt rate me anyway. Terrible tactic?.

Carlile was a good player for us. No doubt about that . I enjoyed his passion.

You are good mates with him fev4 but I think your opinion about this subject might be slightly tainted. Who knows what was said between his agent and Longo except for just those two people. Longo saying he didn't rate him doesn't really fit with the fact that he was offering a contract to him. As said before though, Longo wouldn't be talking up Carlile in any contact negotiations in any event, as with any other player in that situation.

Longo's budget would have been limited and the terms offered would have reflected that. You said he was a Fev lad through and through and was gutted to leave. It's a shame therefore that he didn't think that the offer was good enough to  stay. Sad but I cannot blame Longo at all. Just doing what I think he believes was best for Fev.

9 hours ago, Squidward said:

Carlile was a good player for us. No doubt about that . I enjoyed his passion.

You are good mates with him fev4 but I think your opinion about this subject might be slightly tainted. Who knows what was said between his agent and Longo except for just those two people. Longo saying he didn't rate him doesn't really fit with the fact that he was offering a contract to him. As said before though, Longo wouldn't be talking up Carlile in any contact negotiations in any event, as with any other player in that situation.

Longo's budget would have been limited and the terms offered would have reflected that. You said he was a Fev lad through and through and was gutted to leave. It's a shame therefore that he didn't think that the offer was good enough to  stay. Sad but I cannot blame Longo at all. Just doing what I think he believes was best for Fev.

Lot more than those 2 know what was said between them. Its 2019 nearly, people dont communicate by pigeon no more. We could have a conversation now, couple of button clicks, that convo could be at other end of world in seconds. Negotiations i see you mention, that seemed to be a big part of the problem, lack of negotiations. Keal was told he was been released, fans kicked up a fuss, then he was offered a 50% pay cut what wasnt going to be budged from, till it was too late. I understand, we didnt make the 4 last season, funds needed to be cut, but i think a bit more could have been done to hold onto a couple from the engine room of the team. Sheffield arent offering big bucks, surely we could have matched them for a few players. Weve just started pre season without the minimum to fill a matchday squad, an unsettled Ridyard our only half, no proven hooker at this level and a kid from Leeds 19s our full back at the minute, the png lads dont get here till 2 month into pre season and we dont have a coach yet. So doesnt seem negotiations have been great, especially now were turning to players like jordon tansey. If i was putting a team together to go on a 3 day bender, he would be 1st on my list. But definatly not for his rugby. Going to be a very competative league again, so were going to have to come together pretty quickly to be challenging the top 5 or 6. 

10 hours ago, jamescolin said:

How do you tie the two events up?  What have they to do with each other?

Good morning James.

I was told it was Duffy who was the decisive factor in Martyn joining Featherstone. That is why I have consistently been posting on here that Martyn would leave if Duffy did. I honestly can't see what we are offering Martyn at Leigh to attract him though - unless it's a testimonial. (he would have been in his tenth season with us, had he stayed)

22 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

It all seems one gigantic mess. All this added to the robbery makes things very complicated for us. 

I struggle to see how things are complicated? We have had our annual turnover of players, our bi-annual change of coach and thrown into the mix some bag head has turned the club over. Last week it was the church hall, this week it's the Rovers. Hardly a 'mess', just the typical close season for me.

5 hours ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Lot more than those 2 know what was said between them. Its 2019 nearly, people dont communicate by pigeon no more. We could have a conversation now, couple of button clicks, that convo could be at other end of world in seconds. Negotiations i see you mention, that seemed to be a big part of the problem, lack of negotiations. Keal was told he was been released, fans kicked up a fuss, then he was offered a 50% pay cut what wasnt going to be budged from, till it was too late. I understand, we didnt make the 4 last season, funds needed to be cut, but i think a bit more could have been done to hold onto a couple from the engine room of the team. Sheffield arent offering big bucks, surely we could have matched them for a few players. Weve just started pre season without the minimum to fill a matchday squad, an unsettled Ridyard our only half, no proven hooker at this level and a kid from Leeds 19s our full back at the minute, the png lads dont get here till 2 month into pre season and we dont have a coach yet. So doesnt seem negotiations have been great, especially now were turning to players like jordon tansey. If i was putting a team together to go on a 3 day bender, he would be 1st on my list. But definatly not for his rugby. Going to be a very competative league again, so were going to have to come together pretty quickly to be challenging the top 5 or 6. 

I agree with this - and your previous post that we should have already got shut of Riddy and kept a few others instead. 

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Like the bits about requesting the contract on numerous occasions from Fev as Duffy said he was out of contract. Why wouldn’t you simply show Derek the contract when Duffy expressed the interest?

Hi Craiq! I suspect, given the statements from both clubs, the 'truth' of the matter probably lies somewhere between them.

JOHN Duffy has put pen to paper on a new contract, keeping him at the Featherstone Rovers helm until at least the end of the 2020 season.

so this news statement and a picture of him signing a contract was in fact fake news I assume . Or is he claiming that a clause that said dependent on finishing in top four meant he was a free agent ? 

If so who has been approving all these players we have bought surely the coach would have a say in this . So after the end of the season why did he not stipulate why are you asking me about players I’m not your coach ?

I find it odd for Duffy to say he didn't have a contract, but on being interviewed about the new signings he said he couldn't wait to work with them. So was he just voluntarily being a coach at Fev since the end of season and spending his own money on fuel, or did he have a contract and was still getting paid ?

We have taken legal advice 

why would we show Leigh the evidence at this stage particularly if we are suing Leigh as well it makes sense to let them shoot them selves in the foot and appoint him , we have told them Duffy is contracted pay compo and he’s yours they have not so now the legal lads get involved 

duffy has indeed consistently  said about punchcard Maskill day Harrison Delaney and the islanders he cannot wait to start work with them that does not strike me as a bloke who did not have a contract 

basically he wanted the Leigh job when it came up full stop , I reckon bentmont (sorry Beaumont) will settle this before it gets smelly 

Duffy is a scumbag, it was announced he had signed a new 2 year contract but yet he says he didn't have a contract, wether in place or not, the club has paid his wages presumably since April, I hope MC takes him to the cleaners, no integrity, no class, scumbag.

As I said in an earlier post if the case is watertight , take him apart , BUT  I hope we are careful as Leigh have also taken legal advise, and don't forget Duffy is as slippery as a rattlesnake and they can be nasty.

Duffys contract expired, Keiron had joined Widnes and Duffy asked about the job, Leigh asked if he was under contract Duffy said no and leigh asked fev who declined to reply. Duffy gets sacked and Leigh employ an unemoloyed  coach, who is an ex player who coached our reserves before leaving for swinton. That will be a tough case to win and derek can buy campbell a few times

Archived