Clubs' Websites

Oxford

Looking at a few sites for  clubs and noticing who was marketing well and had a good attractive site and thinking:

Which clubs have good sites?

How do we compare with other sports ( please not yawn as that makes me yawn!)?

What would be good to have on a site?

For those who like to point out stuff!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Without making a call on good/bad/indifferent, I point out the NRL model where all clubs use the same template. If you can navigate one, you can navigate all of them.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/

https://www.cowboys.com.au/

I assume that Telstra being a major sponsor and the biggest ISP and general IT services provider in OZ is part of the reason for this. The websites and design may be part of the sponsorship contract.

3 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

on good/bad/indifferent,

I was hoping to concentrate on good for the models and what we'd like to see for making us better .. yes, I know this is TGG so we'll have to fight the negative posts off with a stick !

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Looking at a few sites for  clubs and noticing who was marketing well and had a good attractive site and thinking:

Which clubs have good sites?

How do we compare with other sports ( please not yawn as that makes me yawn!)?

What would be good to have on a sight?

Correct spelling is a must for me.

rldfsignature.jpg

8 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Correct spelling is a must for me.

I'm very glad to hear it, but  replacing seeing with place seems an odd way to demonstrate this.

Or is there more here than meets the eye?

But have you seen anything good on a website that you think everyone can learn from?

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I was hoping to concentrate on good for the models and what we'd like to see for making us better .. yes, I know this is TGG so we'll have to fight the negative posts off with a stick !

Referring to the NRL template sites

GOOD: Standardised sites are good for people who read them regularly and just want to catch the latest news.

BAD: Excessive use of video rather than text. This means that users with less-than-optimal internet services may wait a long time for pages to load just to find this week's team.

Overdone formatting may look good on screen but can make it more difficult for people (like me) who regularly do match threads and just want to copy/paste team lineups or match details.

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

For bad: West Wales Raiders

For good: Coventry Bears*

*Easy to navigate, user friendly and very professional. 

West Wales looks like a Geocities site I built twenty years ago ....?

4 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Without making a call on good/bad/indifferent, I point out the NRL model where all clubs use the same template. If you can navigate one, you can navigate all of them.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/

https://www.cowboys.com.au/

I assume that Telstra being a major sponsor and the biggest ISP and general IT services provider in OZ is part of the reason for this. The websites and design may be part of the sponsorship contract.

I also believe that EFL sides do the same (or did until two years ago).

36 minutes ago, Jasper said:

For an amateur club in the fifth tier, St Albans Centurions has an excellent site.

https://stalbanscenturions.weebly.com/

That is nice. To be honest in this day and age with the amount of low cost website builders, like Weebly used in that one, there is absolutely no reason why every club shouldn't have a good website. Its not like you need to be a designer these days.

A website must be responsive on mobile devices. I would say St Alban’s website is very average.

Next, a site must be contemporary and have up to date content. Sadly, even a SL club like the Broncos can’t even get that right.

Finally, a good website these days is minimal. The content an individual is looking for should only be two clicks away. 17 tabs with 17 sub pages each is not an example of best practice.

The rest, as they say, is elementary.

One of the most important things on a club website has to good contact details and directions. A link to a map is handy. On top of the basic address details a bit of extra advice about where are they, how do you get there by public transport, where can you park. Another useful thing to know is what's near the ground, like pubs, cafes, hotels. Are any of them especially fan friendly or maybe non welcoming? Sure people can find a lot of this by digging around but if you can make things easy for your potential customers they may be encouraged to come along, that goes for potential new fans of your club and visiting away fans who will be unfamiliar with your location and town. 

Agree with that. Content has to be updated regularly. One thing the central NRL site is doing very well - with the club's also following along - is providing regular news. These are stories that aren't just about bringing readers to their pages, they're actually about driving the media coverage more broadly. More and more, other media outlets are quoting from these stories, or running further with these ideas. This is starting to isolate the relentlessly negative tabloids, as they don't have a monopoly anymore, and get the good, interesting stories out there. The NRL even seems to own the old rugby league week content now, and often posts historical articles (alongside some great coverage of the England v NZ series!) With all the clubs now using a consistent template and style, this is actually something the NRL deserves a lot of credit for. The RFL wouldn't have the same resources, but it's certainly a model worth following.

11 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Embedding tweets into the website seems like an easier way to keep it current. Here’s a fledgling effort from www.bassetlawbulldogs.co.uk in their first season. 

Not everyone has or bothers with Twitter though. Certainly not the older generation. Hemel are really bad at keeping their website current. 

rldfsignature.jpg

5 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Not everyone has or bothers with Twitter though. Certainly not the older generation. Hemel are really bad at keeping their website current. 

Exactly. This means that those who don't have or bother with twitter have the news fed directly to them through the website. Did you actually look?

I had a conversation with one of the people involved at Tampa Mayhem from the USARL about website content and the current relevance of news posted on them. About 90% of the American teams’ websites are really poor and outdated. His response was along the lines that the website was the least of their worries because their sponsors are more interested in how many hits and likes they can get on social media. A sign of the times I suppose. I don’t really do social media much and usually my first point of reference will be a website. Are websites in danger of becoming the online version of vinyl records? 

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

Exactly. This means that those who don't have or bother with twitter have the news fed directly to them through the website. Did you actually look?

I’ll be honest with you mate, no I never until you prompted me. Is the Twitter feed the scrolling news across the top of the page?

rldfsignature.jpg

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I’ll be honest with you mate, no I never until you prompted me. Is the Twitter feed the scrolling news across the top of the page?

Fair play. The twitter feed is on the left, below the interchanging picture gallery. It pulls through from twitter instantly so is as live as it gets. Simple widget if twitter is used often/well IMO.

Archived