Clubs' Websites

Oxford

38 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Fair play. The twitter feed is on the left, below the interchanging picture gallery. It pulls through from twitter instantly so is as live as it gets. Simple widget if twitter is used often/well IMO.

What I do notice with the Bulldogs’ website is how small it is when I use your link. Small as in the size of the font and photographs. I have to pinch and stretch the screen to read it comfortably.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 minutes ago, Copa said:

I know it might be obvious but I’d like details about the next game to be right at the top of a home page. 

That ties in with my comment about being current. Some teams in the USARL are still stuck in 2015 or 2016 believe it or not. Some U.K. clubs aren’t much better.

rldfsignature.jpg

13 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

What I do notice with the Bulldogs’ website is how small it is when I use your link. Small as in the size of the font and photographs. I have to pinch and stretch the screen to read it comfortably.

When you think that this is an amateur club, with only junior teams, it's not a bad effort at all IMO compared to some of the stuff out there. I'm sure the volunteers will be keen to receive feedback in order to improve it further.

Colourful ✔️

Interactive ✔️

Live and up to date ✔️

No more than two clicks to destination ✔️

At a premium, the website could get rid of the adverts, but would that be a worthwhile expenditure?  

Clearly there's some way to go to get it to super league standard, but I reckon it is a decent effort at celebrating the successes of the club over its 8 month existence, and shows what can be done in a non-heartland, rural village which started with a zero bank balance, one qualified coach and limited website building skill.  

15 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

When you think that this is an amateur club, with only junior teams, it's not a bad effort at all IMO compared to some of the stuff out there. I'm sure the volunteers will be keen to receive feedback in order to improve it further.

Colourful ✔️

Interactive ✔️

Live and up to date ✔️

No more than two clicks to destination ✔️

At a premium, the website could get rid of the adverts, but would that be a worthwhile expenditure?  

Clearly there's some way to go to get it to super league standard, but I reckon it is a decent effort at celebrating the successes of the club over its 8 month existence, and shows what can be done in a non-heartland, rural village which started with a zero bank balance, one qualified coach and limited website building skill.  

Oh I’m not knocking anything about the website other than the size of the font etc. Which I’m sure is easily amended.

rldfsignature.jpg

55 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Social media presence is much more important than the general website. Yes some older people don’t use social media, but that is where the majority of internet traffic is, as opposed to general browsing. 

So your idea is more use of social media by clubs? Would you drop the website altogether?

31 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Clearly there's some way to go to get it to super league standard

Are all SL websites of a good standard? Are they as good as each other?

What do they need to do to improve?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

So your idea is more use of social media by clubs? Would you drop the website altogether?

Are all SL websites of a good standard? Are they as good as each other?

What do they need to do to improve?

No, definitely need to keep the websites, irrespective of exploiting other avenues. They perform a number of roles which social media can't. Even when looking at the basics, like club news, Deluded Pom is a perfect example of someone who relies on the websites over and above established social media platforms. That will be representative of many more too, I am sure.

In terms of the standard of super league websites, I wouldn't know if I'm honest. I rarely use them, and tend to find the information I might be looking for via other more direct sources (such as social media or this forum). I guess I have assumed that a corporate body in a national competition would have invested sufficient time and resource to make it look professional and ultra-accessible. Great question though.

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

I guess I have assumed that a corporate body in a national competition would have invested sufficient time and resource to make it look professional and ultra-accessible. Great question though.

I made that assumption myself and the ones I've seen seem okay.

But I wondered what features were popular? which aspects attracted more hits?

Is there a model that is considered over and above all the others?

The Catalan Dragons do some excellent connecting of marketing, ownership and involvement that I don't recall seeing any where else. It's what got me thinking about this in this way.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just had a look at the Wigan website, which I haven't done in a while. No shortage of content, at least one entry per day in the 'news' section, twitter, Wigan TV, visitor's guide, community and business sections, and it loads reasonably quickly. A decent site.

And, if the 2019 strip turns out to be an eyesore, you can (for a price), go gloriously retro at the online shop.

HOF%20BOSTON%20RUGBY%20001.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

I made that assumption myself and the ones I've seen seem okay.

But I wondered what features were popular? which aspects attracted more hits?

Is there a model that is considered over and above all the others?

The Catalan Dragons do some excellent connecting of marketing, ownership and involvement that I don't recall seeing any where else. It's what got me thinking about this in this way.

I agree with you, Oxford.  And, of course, they have a bilingual website, that, on the whole, manages to avoid bad English translations.

Archived