Valentine Holmes quits the NRL to try his hand in the NFL

Allora

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he does well. Hayne showed that it is possible. He came very very close to being a real success over there and in a different team he could have been a real asset. Holmes is unquestionably a good enough athlete to be a decent running back, assuming thats the position he will be aiming for. 

12 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its a totally different game and culture, best of luck to him though.

Yep - a terrible game really.

Ball in play for about 3 seconds in a game.

Still, it is his choice.

He won't make it anywhere, so it isn't an issue.

Just now, Leonard said:

Still, it is his choice.

I beg to differ. I think it's a great game, but the world would be boring if we all liked the same things.

I think the odds are that he will be back within a year, but I wouldn't write him off. He has the tools to do well over there, and unlike Hayne he is still has age on his side. 

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

I beg to differ. I think it's a great game, but the world would be boring if we all liked the same things.

I think the odds are that he will be back within a year, but I wouldn't write him off. He has the tools to do well over there, and unlike Hayne he is still has age on his side. 

Real men don't wear shoulder pads.

Each to their own, but I have no idea what a RL fan sees in NFL.

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Still, it is his choice.

There are minimal ball handling skills required....he will never be asked to kick or pass.  You don't need to have on field decision making skills since the coaches tell you exactly what to do at every break (of which there are many)...no flow with lots of whistles and breaks.   Big hits though.

I don't think it is so easy to make said transition....I think the NFL is the inferior game really.

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Real men don't wear shoulder pads.

Each to their own, but I have no idea what a RL fan sees in NFL.

I like the technical aspect of it, it's a bit of a cheesy metaphor but each play is like a clock, everyone has a job and for the play to work properly everyone has to perform that job correctly. It doesn't have the speed and intensity of RL, but it is far more methodical and subtle, and I like that. Not to mention you see some unbelievable feats of athleticism. 

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

I like the technical aspect of it, it's a bit of a cheesy metaphor but each play is like a clock, everyone has a job and for the play to work properly everyone has to perform that job correctly. It doesn't have the speed and intensity of RL, but it is far more methodical and subtle, and I like that. Not to mention you see some unbelievable feats of athleticism. 

I struggle with the time the ball is in play, it makes Union look free flowing.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Some interesting stuff in this, regarding comparisons with sprint speed etc.

Good luck to him.  Would be kudos to the game of RL if he makes it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/valentine-holmes-transition-to-the-nfl-how-he-sizes-up-what-position-he-plays-whats-next/news-story/725b24df5ac87fd3fa246629301a6945

It's not the be all and end all though. Playing RB is as much about balance, evasiveness and patience as it is about raw speed and strength. I'm quite interested to see how he gets on.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

I struggle with the time the ball is in play, it makes Union look free flowing.

My main issue is with the ad breaks. Between plays there will be roughly 20 to 30 seconds on average for everyone to get set again, which I am fine with. However, every time there is a score, or a punt, or a turnover we have a few minutes of ads. It would be nice if after a punt you could just get the defensive team on the field and get started again, but we always have to wait. But that is more an issue with the TV companies than the sport itself.

Don't get me wrong. RL is the superior game, but I would much rather watch some NFL than RU or soccer.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

What isn't?

Size and speed. It's like anything. The best winger isn't necessarily the quickest one. The best prop isn't necessarily the biggest one. There are all kinds of factors.

I'm not saying the article wasn't interesting btw. I just think there is sometimes a tendency to look too closely at those sorts of things in that sport.

He won't make it as a RB.

The idea he can learn a new game and force his way in front of talented players who have spend their who lives playing the game is laughable.

He is nothing more than a V Good RL player - not the second coming.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

He won't make it as a RB.

The idea he can learn a new game and force his way in front of talented players who have spend their who lives playing the game is laughable.

He is nothing more than a V Good RL player - not the second coming.

Hayne did.

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

Hayne did.

Hayne was a failure and was dropped after a handful of games.

He was also a kick/punt receiver - not a running back.

In most games such a receiver will have next to nothing to do - as kick offs are waived off and so are many punt returns.

Archived