Travelling to Perpignan

I'm interested in going to Perpignan for the first time next season to watch Hull. I don't think the club run an organised trip as far as I can see. Other than a four day trip by coach with Acklams or flying with Catalans Tours I can't seem to find much else. Catalans Tours only seem to be based in northern Spain whereas I'd prefer to be in Perpignan itself. I can only find flights from Stanstead or Birmingham directly into Perpignan. Any advice from those who have been previously would be much appreciated.

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2017 we flew Manchester-Girona but stayed in Perpignan. We prebooked a taxi online straight from the airport to our accomodation that was very reasonable between the four of us, though we did get pulled over for a minute at the Spanish-French border!

As above there is the option to fly to Barcelona, Caracassonne, Nimes and Toulouse and get a train from there.

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I'm interested in going to Perpignan for the first time next season to watch Hull. I don't think the club run an organised trip as far as I can see. Other than a four day trip by coach with Acklams or flying with Catalans Tours I can't seem to find much else. Catalans Tours only seem to be based in northern Spain whereas I'd prefer to be in Perpignan itself. I can only find flights from Stanstead or Birmingham directly into Perpignan. Any advice from those who have been previously would be much appreciated.

I think some on here might be going.  Roy Boy maybe?  If you want PM me I can help.

5 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Manchester to carcassonne out fri and back Monday is a great flight 

Agree. Thats my usual route into France, with Ryanair from Manchester (- which is good for direct rail from Hull). Usually affordable, with good afternoon arrival & departure times at Carcassone.

For deluded poms' info: From Carcassonne the train takes around 1hr10 to 1hr40 to Perpignan, changing once at Narbonne. French rail travel is usually easy, frequent, reilable - but pricey even compared to UK. (There has been major engineering works on this line this year, which was disruptive, but is expected to complete by new year).

The towns/cities in this corner of France are small and quiet but very pleasant. Perpignan is probably the best place to stay - although the organised trips choose the coast. Accommodation is plentiful and good value. Hope deluded pom gets there and enjoys it. Its a great trip.

9 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I've done it four times now.

One piece of info you didn't supply is how long you want to be in France. 

We have always combined it with a holiday from a week to a long weekend. We flew into Carcassonne which is a small relaxed air port. Carcassonne itself is a brilliant place to visit and for the  longer holidays we hired a car and visited the villages around and received a wonderful French welcome and discovered some gems. We then drove to Perpignan and took in the Orgues at Ille sur Tet one time and Fort de Salses another on the way. Unforgettable. The trains appear frequent and quick although I've never used them.

Sorry if it sounds like an ad for French travel but it's a fascinating area. Oh and the Cathar castles and the sea bathing at Narbonne are superb!

when we went we flew to girona then hired a car. Stayed in Canet le Plage where we saw a few of the players on nights out (Willie Mason was there.. hes a big bugg*r!)... nice watering holes and a nice place to stay, then got the bus into perpignan and then to the stadium. Got a cab home (as couldnt see!) and between 4 of us it was pretty reasonable. 

7 of us went and we stayed in 2 air bnbs not the cleanest or best air bnbs i've ever stayed in but we only needed a bed for the nights as we were out and about during the days. nice beach too... be careful at the crazy golf though as he didnt like me breaking the rule "ze rules are ze rules" as the man behind the desk said... but we showed him.. went somewhere else for a drink after!!! that taught him a lesson he wont forget quickly i bet!

Done the Barcelona > Train > Perpignan one. Did a few days in Barcelona and the weekend for the game in Perpignan.

Also done Carcassonne > Hire Car > Perpignan fly out Fri. back Mon. works quite well.

Perpignan is fairly dead on a Sunday and Carcossonne even deader, though it depends which one of the two games April or June you are planning to go to. Things may be a bit livelier in June.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Done the Barcelona > Train > Perpignan one. Did a few days in Barcelona and the weekend for the game in Perpignan.

Also done Carcassonne > Hire Car > Perpignan fly out Fri. back Mon. works quite well.

Perpignan is fairly dead on a Sunday and Carcossonne even deader, though it depends which one of the two games April or June you are planning to go to. Things may be a bit livelier in June.

It’s the April game. I’m on holiday when the June game is on.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, Hullfan said:

If ya stay in lorett De Mar, can you get a bus to the ground?? I've been told this, but he's a known bulls&£%#*r

If you book an organized package/tour where that is part of the deal then you probably can, otherwise no, Lloret de Mar is 90 miles away and in a different country.

Archived