Above & beyond the call of duty...

Intrepid Rugby League World editor Matt Shaw is spending a day in pre-season training with Huddersfield Giants today, as research for a forthcoming feature in the mag.

Wish him luck, we think he's gonna need it!

The @GiantsRL and @rlworld twitter feeds might be good fun today :biggrin:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do people really care about this? Like, do people actually want to read about how intense a day of pre-season is? Don’t we all already know this?

Wouldn’t people prefer thought provoking, emotive, interesting articles about the game over an article that essentially can be summed up in once sentence, “I’m not a Rugby League player, pre-season is really hard and they’re immensely fit warriors”?

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Do people really care about this? Like, do people actually want to read about how intense a day of pre-season is? Don’t we all already know this?

Wouldn’t people prefer thought provoking, emotive, interesting articles about the game over an article that essentially can be summed up in once sentence, “I’m not a Rugby League player, pre-season is really hard and they’re immensely fit warriors”?

No clearer illustration that no matter what you do in Rugby League, there'll be someone along to moan about it.

Cheer up! Have a giggle!!

It's one feature, not the whole flippin' mag.

Variety is the spice of life.

Meanwhile...

Just now, John Drake said:

No clearer illustration that no matter what you do in Rugby League, there'll be someone along to moan about it.

Meanwhile...

Ouch! And the new interim editor for the next 6 months is ....Wishing Matt a speedy recovery ?

15 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

100% proof that you are nothing but a wind up merchant

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Meanwhile...

So, no then. It’s a slow news day for journalists and this is used to fill some space in a magazine. Not more pressing matters in Rugby League like the International calendar, the Reserve League, how Golden Point has or hasn’t worked in the NRL, the Keighley Cougars situation, the New York bid, the Dublin bid, Red Star Belgrade beating city rivals Partizan in the Grand Final ahead of joining the Challenge Cup in two months time, where Hemel Stags are going now, the rule changes in Super League and how they’ve changed the NRL, Valentine Holmes leaving the game, is Magic even worth pursuing anymore, what’s the point of the Summer Bash, why the Challenge Cup has no title sponsor, Leigh Centurions, Jamaica getting in the World Cup, what’s changed at West Wales, Wayne Bennett, Anthony Seibold, whether we’re getting a mid-season International and whether the game can sustain 37 “professional” Clubs. 

There’s roughly twenty things there, some with a bit of crossover, that are more pertinent issues in Rugby League or are more interesting to many than a journalist getting a flogging from an elite sports team in their pre-season. 

I hope he has a nice day but I can’t foresee people fighting to read about this. 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So, no then. It’s a slow news day for journalists and this is used to fill some space in a magazine. Not more pressing matters in Rugby League like the International calendar, the Reserve League, how Golden Point has or hasn’t worked in the NRL, the Keighley Cougars situation, the New York bid, the Dublin bid, Red Star Belgrade beating city rivals Partizan in the Grand Final ahead of joining the Challenge Cup in two months time, where Hemel Stags are going now, the rule changes in Super League and how they’ve changed the NRL, Valentine Holmes leaving the game, is Magic even worth pursuing anymore, what’s the point of the Summer Bash, why the Challenge Cup has no title sponsor, Leigh Centurions, Jamaica getting in the World Cup, what’s changed at West Wales, Wayne Bennett, Anthony Seibold, whether we’re getting a mid-season International and whether the game can sustain 37 “professional” Clubs. 

There’s roughly twenty things there, some with a bit of crossover, that are more pertinent issues in Rugby League or are more interesting to many than a journalist getting a flogging from an elite sports team in their pre-season. 

I hope he has a nice day but I can’t foresee people fighting to read about this. 

Do you actually ever read Rugby League World?

Your above comments suggest not, given that we've covered, or are covering, most of the things you've referred to in the above post already.

For the record, Matt was invited by Huddersfield Giants to take part in their pre-season training, as they thought it would be a fun feature for the mag during the off-season and they were willing to photograph and film it and promote it on their social media too.

Any publication in any sport would have to be completely off its rocker to turn such an approach down, quite frankly.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Do you actually ever read Rugby League World?

Your above comments suggest not, given that we've covered, or are covering, most of the things you've referred to in the above post already.

For the record, Matt was invited by Huddersfield Giants to take part in their pre-season training, as they thought it would be a fun feature for the mag during the off-season and they were willing to photograph and film it and promote it on their social media too.

Any publication in any sport would have to be completely off its rocker to turn such an approach down, quite frankly.

No, I don’t. Personally not a fan of it at all and don’t find there’s ever enough there that I want to read about. Prefer FortyTwenty myself and find the quality much higher. No doubt will be called a troll for that opinion but everyone has opinions, don’t they? I don’t expect all to agree. 

This sort of article is the sort of article I have no interest in. Fun, it may be, but I find it has no relevance or gives me anything I didn’t already know. Pre-season is tough? Next you’ll be telling me that we could do more with the International game. Hardly groundbreaking stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

No, I don’t. Personally not a fan of it at all and don’t find there’s ever enough there that I want to read about. Prefer FortyTwenty myself and find the quality much higher. No doubt will be called a troll for that opinion but everyone has opinions, don’t they? I don’t expect all to agree. 

This sort of article is the sort of article I have no interest in. Fun, it may be, but I find it has no relevance or gives me anything I didn’t already know. Pre-season is tough? Next you’ll be telling me that we could do more with the International game. Hardly groundbreaking stuff. 

I'm in a jovial mood today!??

Biggus Dickus from The Life of Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_G2a2hL6U

19 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Thought not.

Your loss.

Explains your uninformed comments about what's in it too.

It doesn’t. I flick through it at WH Smith when I see a new one. Very little of depth or interest in there. But that’s your loss, not mine. 

Can’t wait for a bumper four page spread covered in pictures of a non-sportsman getting roasted by professional sportspeople next month. 

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It doesn’t. I flick through it at WH Smith when I see a new one. Very little of depth or interest in there. But that’s your loss, not mine. 

Can’t wait for a bumper four page spread covered in pictures of a non-sportsman getting roasted by professional sportspeople next month. 

RLW is clearly not your cup of tea.

That's fine.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What a miserable git you are, if your not interested then how about you start up an "interesting" debate in a different thread rather than embarrass yourself in this one.

I remember coming back to my first training session after not having played for a number of years, I'd also had major surgery (approx 3ft of intestine removed) and 32, so not a spring chicken and my condition meant I always struggled anyways but I thought f-it. No weights involved, mostly running mingled in with tackling and other stuff, all on a fairly heavy pitch, late Feb/early March, the session ran over too and was closer to 2 hours! technical stuff I was okay with, the aerobic aspect, OMFG, I don't think I've ever ached that much in my life, it took me about 5 days to be able to walk properly from that, and I was only going to play seconds as well.lol.

I hope Matt enjoys his sesh and doesn't twang anything, don't want him pulling a sickie. hahaha

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

And yet you 'cared' enough to respond with some nonsense! Go read other stuff if it's not your cuppa.

it's a titbit for people to have a laugh about when someone does something they might not have done before in that particular environ to that level of intensity and are a bit of a fish out of water. Are you an ex-pro yourself from within the last 20 years, just asking because unless you are, then you're unlikely to have experienced what a modern RL training session is about. Even if you have, some of us haven't and it's interesting to see how intense and what's done early doors in pre season at the very top level.

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So you use up bandwidth on a website you have no intention of financially supporting, and clog up the aisles of WH Smith reading magazines you have no intention of buying. Admirable.

I have my own issues with Rugby League World but I at least try to buy it before criticising.

It's a very interesting subject and I hope it is given full coverage.

Sports science seems to be ever evolving and we do seem to borrow ideas after the Australians use them.

Strength and conditioning must be important or clubs wouldn't make efforts to take staff from other clubs;or from certain clubs to international duties.

It would be nice if Matt,in an effort to show parity,was invited by a 'pleb' club in League 1,to do a day of work outside of his comfort zone, and then did his part time training with a League 1 club after his day of work finished.

After all,the main difference between the elite club player - and those at non-elite clubs - is the full-time training and fitness levels.

I seem to recall watching a successful Feathersone side,filmed in black and white,doing some old fashioned training.Those times have certainly altered. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

10 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

So you use up bandwidth on a website you have no intention of financially supporting, and clog up the aisles of WH Smith reading magazines you have no intention of buying. Admirable.

I have my own issues with Rugby League World but I at least try to buy it before criticising.

Do you financially support the running of this website?

Archived