Some days of the year seem more significant historically than others

So today is the 22nd November.

The day Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

The day Juan Carlos was declared the King of Spain, effectively bringing to an end the Franco dictatorship in 1975.

The day Margaret Thatcher accepted defeat and pulled out of the Tory leadership race in 1990, bringing her Premiership to an end.

The day Angela Merkel became the first female Chancellor of Germany in 1995.

Those were four massive political events.

In music, the Beatles released the White Album on this day in 1968.

And in sport, Mike Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion in history at the age of 20 in 1986.

And something else happened in Sydney in 2003. I'm sure Shadow would be happy to remind us what it was.

Let me know if there's anything else I've missed out.

Some days of the year seem to be more important historically than most of the others.

What a day that 22nd was,. I'm surprised you forgot that in 1594 Sir Martin Frobisher died, you know, the English seaman who made three voyages to the New World to look for the Northwest Passage. His knighthood was awarded for service in repelling the Spanish Armada in 1588.

And who can forget that in 1718 Edward Teach, the English pirate called Blackbeard, was killed in battle off the coast of North Carolina, with a boarding party led by Royal Navy Lieutenant Robert Maynard.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Former Hull winger Colin Best was born.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22nd November 2003. 

I can't believe it's not been mentioned that the same day that ###### happened in Sydney some of us were shivering in Huddersfield at the last game of the last Rugby League Ashes series. When we wilfully killed off the biggest event the sport had. 

38 minutes ago, M j M said:

22nd November 2003. 

I can't believe it's not been mentioned that the same day that ###### happened in Sydney some of us were shivering in Huddersfield at the last game of the last Rugby League Ashes series. When we wilfully killed off the biggest event the sport had. 

I'm amazed that the words w o n d e r f u l  e v e n t are forbidden by the profanity filter. 

on nov 22 1984 coronation street broadcast the classic episode where betty turpin forgets to return a library book because she had so many orders for hot pot in the rovers that day

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

on nov 22 1984 coronation street broadcast the classic episode where betty turpin forgets to return a library book because she had so many orders for hot pot in the rovers that day

My £1.99 this day in history app misses this completely . 

9 hours ago, M j M said:

22nd November 2003. 

I remember this now you have mentioned it. I think there was controversy at the time about whether the league fans should sing Sweet Chariot in homage.

I was surprised how close the scores were in that series, though presumably they brought a second or third strength team? 

I loved the Ashes series and seeing Australia. They were so reassuringly  good, they never disappointed.

5 hours ago, Niels said:

I remember this now you have mentioned it. I think there was controversy at the time about whether the league fans should sing Sweet Chariot in homage.

I was surprised how close the scores were in that series, though presumably they brought a second or third strength team? 

Not particularly. The Aussies always claim they could send a stronger team. Wiki says Tallis had retired but apart from that the team looks regular strength for the time.

It's just amazing that it's been 15 years since we last did this. It was for decades the international game's pinnacle and we just threw it away.

On 11/22/2018 at 4:53 PM, graveyard johnny said:

Calling you out on that as there was no Coronation street that day, the 'turps' was at home drooling over a net curtain catalogue ?

13 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Calling you out on that as there was no Coronation street that day, the 'turps' was at home drooling over a net curtain catalogue ?

I meant recorded the episode 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived