The RLIF and Steve Mascord?

Scubby

What a strange thread.

I can not work out what is happening or how to take most of the comments.

The only part I got was the Brownz sounds like Benz, I suggest a rethink about this as it will put off most semi educated  people or better faster than the Plague.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Allora said:

What a strange thread.

The only part I got was the Brownz sounds like Benz, I suggest a rethink about this as it will put off most semi educated  people or better faster than the Plague.

Quick breakdown for you Allora. Mercedes-Benz have teamed with the RLIF to sell RL gear via the RLIF website. Because Mercedes-Benz don’t produce an England RL mug Scubby has taken the hump. There you have it in a nutshell. Just shout out if there are other things you don’t understand.

rldfsignature.jpg

7 hours ago, Scubby said:

Or they could work with established tier 1 playing nations to move into the 21st century. And actually create structured competitions with lead ins so it could be properly merchandised. Everybody in World RL just doing their own thing (and not very well) sums it up really. Short term and self centred thinking designed on the back of a fag packet.

Rugby League the narcissist's dream.

If people lived by the following two rules the sport would advance a decade.

1. Don't try to gain from it financially if your involved with development.  

2. Don't make helping people about self promotion, avoid using your name.

Having been involved with a large number of projects in the sport that would have advanced the sport, only to see them fail.

I would identify breaking those rules as the biggest cause of failure.

Self-interest kills practically all initiatives people try in the sport.

As my dad taught me a good deed always pays itself back in the end.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:15 AM, Scubby said:

Or they could work with established tier 1 playing nations to move into the 21st century. And actually create structured competitions with lead ins so it could be properly merchandised. Everybody in World RL just doing their own thing (and not very well) sums it up really. Short term and self centred thinking designed on the back of a fag packet.

How would this work between series? NRL.com would host the store? I'm not going to defend our store as the best solution for the game. It's a business opportunity for Phill and I and the start of the journey for the RLIF. We'll outgrow our usefulness very quickly, I am sure.

21 hours ago, Allora said:

What a strange thread.

It's Phill's name and he has half of the company. He can do as he likes!

19 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Having been involved with a large number of projects in the sport that would have advanced the sport, only to see them fail.

You'll see that our name is nowhere on the RLIF Store page. They chose to put it in the promo, not us. It says "our partners" on the RLIF Store page - and that's so we take responsibility for store stuff-ups, not them. We were happy to remain completely anonymous.

6 minutes ago, steavis said:

How would this work between series? NRL.com would host the store? I'm not going to defend our store as the best solution for the game. It's a business opportunity for Phill and I and the start of the journey for the RLIF. We'll outgrow our usefulness very quickly, I am sure.

The RLIF doesn't need a store outside the World Cup (and then it doesn't need to host it). However, it could collaborate with the top nations to shop window their products like England RL, Kangaroo, NZ and PNG stuff which takes it off to the respective international stores. Other bodies that have their acts together likes FFR13, Canada and USARL can do the same thing. In big competitions it co-hosts the host nations WC online store like 2021 without actually selling anything directly.

It gives the impression of official member nations and World governing bodies. Not Nigel Wood and his buddies putting together a corner shops of bits and bats. It smells of small time and big potential corporate partners doing their homework would think the same.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The RLIF doesn't need a store outside the World Cup (and then it doesn't need to host it). However, it could collaborate with the top nations to shop window their products like England RL, Kangaroo, NZ and PNG stuff which takes it off to the respective international stores. Other bodies that have their acts together likes FFR13, Canada and USARL can do the same thing. In big competitions it co-hosts the host nations WC online store like 2021 without actually selling anything directly.

It gives the impression of official member nations and World governing bodies. Not Nigel Wood and hit buddies putting together a corner shops of bits and bats. It smells of small time and big potential corporate partners doing their homework would think the same.

Ah, but the big problem is that the RLIF doesn't have a revenue stream outside of the World Cup. Believe it or not, their biggest thing is trying to find a sponsor for referees. That puts money straight into their pockets. So they need more things to achieve this: like merchandising, licensing, travel, the Nines ! That's their focus and we're part of the short term solution by starting them on this journey. None of the things you suggest create an income for the RLIF that can be put back into the sport.

4 minutes ago, steavis said:

Ah, but the big problem is that the RLIF doesn't have a revenue stream outside of the World Cup. Believe it or not, their biggest thing is trying to find a sponsor for referees. That puts money straight into their pockets. So they need more things to achieve this: like merchandising, licensing, travel, the Nines ! That's their focus and we're part of the short term solution by starting them on this journey. None of the things you suggest create an income for the RLIF that can be put back into the sport.

BTW we're going around nations one by one and offering to do the same thing we've done for the RLIF. Even New Zealand doesn't have an online store. Good response so far. What the RLIF and these countries "need" is not a matter of whether there "should" be an online store but they need to generate cash for doing nothing. That's the carrot we're dangling.

4 minutes ago, steavis said:

Of course it does. It can create a click through revenue streams to the member nations or something similar if everyone is on board as a world game. These are national governing bodies. The RLIF may be making a few quid now until the people that run it decide they want to go back to journalism or do something else (this is not a dig but the reality of what the situation currently is). You are obviously close to it and I am not knocking your opportunism. I am seeing it objectively alongside other world sports.

The RLIF could get sponsors for referees by getting off their bloody backsides and securing sponsorship for it. It is called leadership, initiative and progression FFS!

I've been party to the negotiations regarding referees. It's not as easy as it seems. There's no click-through revenue available because most of the countries don't have stores. Also I am going to suggest we feature Hummel England and other countries who won't let us sell their stock, on the RLIF store only, with no benefit at all to us. Because the store SHOULD feature those countries. The good thing about MB is if we stop doing pop-ups it will take care itself. I can move onto something else (it's not fulltime anyway) and it will keep bubbling away in the background. Next year my focus will be on my content company. Last year it was on the book. This year MB.

Linking all the countries together into a digital network is something I have suggested to various people in positions of influence but these things happen over a decade, not in six months. This MB relationship is a foot in the door so we can move together towards such objectives. I met with Canada, Chile and Jamaica in Jacksonville and Phill is on the board of the USARL.

2 minutes ago, steavis said:

Linking all the countries together into a digital network is something I have suggested to various people in positions of influence but these things happen over a decade, not in six months. This MB relationship is a foot in the door so we can move together towards such objectives. I met with Canada, Chile and Jamaica in Jacksonville and Phill is on the board of the USARL.

I know your heart is in the right place Steve. I have followed your stuff. Nigel is bloody stealing a living at the RLIF - it was a truly terrible appointment. How the chairman of the RLIF can become the CEO is ridiculous.

It needed someone who would bang heads, who wouldn't take no for an answer, who would create amazing deals and partnerships and drive the world game forward. These people exist they are just put off by RL's insular thinking. He has always been a penny pincher and always taken the corner shop option. For England RL to close down its online store two years after a World Cup is ####ing shameful, it should have been growing and growing and expanding.

When I see this it has Wood's fingerprints all over it. Just like the embarrassing deal he did with BLK in 2015/16 which knocked England merchandising back 2 years. He does not get that fans of the international game and fans of the club game are not necessarily one and the same people. I would spend a boatload on a properly establish and official World RL store network. With respect, I am not sure what I would be getting at present. 

To me, the RLIF is the world governing body and I want to make a difference in international rugby league not just write about stuff. To do that, you deal with the RLIF. I'll keep coming up with suggestions to help them generate income because that's good for the game. I'm not a particularly strategic person. I like to just get to work. I hope the MB can grow with them but as I said, if we are left behind that's fine. But I'm not stopping at MB. It's just one of a myriad of areas I hope to make a positive difference in the international game now I've left Sydney rugby league journalism behind.

21 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Agree 100% mate.  Well said!

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

You may have left Sydney rugby league journalism behind, but you are still in some capacity at least a rugby league journalist. Does your business relationship with the RLIF affect your objectivity?

Yes! I am not objective anymore! I am only continuing to write stories because I need the cash. I will stop as soon as I can.

Regarding self-promotion: 

You'll see that our name is nowhere on the RLIF Store page. They chose to put it in the promo, not us. It says "our partners" on the RLIF Store page - and that's so we take responsibility for store stuff-ups, not them. We were happy to remain completely anonymous.

I’m sure Scubby isn’t having a go at you and Phil personally Steve just as I’m sure that you aren’t particularly bothered if he is or he isn’t. It’s just another frustrating issue RL has. At least you’re trying to do something constructive. All power to your elbow. What’s wrong with Ed Sheeran by the way?

rldfsignature.jpg

On 11/23/2018 at 1:15 PM, steavis said:

I honestly don't care how long it lasts. There are fewer than 100 followers. I've been kicked off facebook before and I'll be kicked off again. I run about 50 pages, all automated. They get shut down all the time. And I'm honoured to have done what you say I've done! Thanks for the rap!

When I said to you that having GB back will have a detrimental impact on Wales,Scotland & Ireland..two of them now face not having their best players available to them for important RLWCQ games...you said you didn't care then either....call yourself s RL fan!! 

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

11 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

When I said to you that having GB back will have a detrimental impact on Wales,Scotland & Ireland..two of them now face not having their best players available to them for important RLWCQ games...you said you didn't care then either....call yourself s RL fan!! 

I care about what I care about. Up to others to determine what that makes me.

Archived