Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

The RLIF and Steve Mascord?

Recommended Posts

I'm confused by this thread. I don't know what was sarcasm and what was true.

I assume that everyone selling rugby league products with club or international team logos and names etc., has all the necessary rights to do so. I assume that the RFL and the clubs etc. concerned are actively making sure that this is the case. It's basic business practice to protect your intellectual property.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s an outlet to buy niche Rugby League merchandise, which I think is pretty cool. I’ve never bought directly from them but I find it great that they do pop up shops across the country. 

As for the whole GB thing, Mascord is using contacts to whip up some interest in games between England/GB and Australia. Frankly, I couldn’t care less what name the team has nor what colours they wear, I’d quite like to see Australia in the flesh again in the U.K. and if whipping up interest means talking up a GB resurrection, cool.  

Of all the possible reasons to have a whinge about Rugby League, this isn’t in the top 25. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a great idea, and it's great that the two are collaborating.

The only thing that amuses me, is that one of the RLIF's most vocal critics over the years, is now doing business with them.  I wonder if we will see a change of tone now in his articles?  Will he adopt a more pro-RLIF stance from now?  Time will tell I guess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm confused by this thread. I don't know what was sarcasm and what was true.

I assume that everyone selling rugby league products with club or international team logos and names etc., has all the necessary rights to do so. I assume that the RFL and the clubs etc. concerned are actively making sure that this is the case. It's basic business practice to protect your intellectual property.

 

Indeed. But you would also assume that the RFL and the clubs etc. have made the right moves to protect their intellectual property rights. Unlikely.

  • Like 1

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So which part of my blokes in the pub small time using the RLIF (World Rugby League Body) as a corner shop is inaccurate? If this is the size of our ambition then I rest my case.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm confused by this thread. I don't know what was sarcasm and what was true.

I assume that everyone selling rugby league products with club or international team logos and names etc., has all the necessary rights to do so. I assume that the RFL and the clubs etc. concerned are actively making sure that this is the case. It's basic business practice to protect your intellectual property.

 

Correct. MB goes through the clubs and federations first. We host the page for the RLIF and will deal with any concerns from member nations as they arise. The hope is that it will bring more nations into the fold for us at MB, not alienate any.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So which part of my blokes in the pub small time using the RLIF (World Rugby League Body) as a corner shop is inaccurate? If this is the size of our ambition then I rest my case.

None. Hopefully they'll outgrow us and leave us behind at some point. But it was our idea to to help them commercialise. I've also put to them ideas on ticketing, membership, publishing and product licensing. Someone had to start the journey. We probably won't go on the entire trip with them. Perhaps one of the things, I can become proficient enough at to hang on a bit longer than with others.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, langpark said:

I think it's a great idea, and it's great that the two are collaborating.

The only thing that amuses me, is that one of the RLIF's most vocal critics over the years, is now doing business with them.  I wonder if we will see a change of tone now in his articles?  Will he adopt a more pro-RLIF stance from now?  Time will tell I guess.

I've sold out mate, I've gone commercial. I am no longer professing to be impartial. Journalism is not my priority anymore. But if The Roar want to pay me some pocket money each week to write columns, I'll keep doing it because I need the money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steavis said:

None. Hopefully they'll outgrow us and leave us behind at some point. But it was our idea to to help them commercialise. I've also put to them ideas on ticketing, membership, publishing and product licensing. Someone had to start the journey. We probably won't go on the entire trip with them. Perhaps one of the things, I can become proficient enough at to hang on a bit longer than with others.

Does any of the money raised go back to the nations for which the merchandise is sold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, steavis said:

I've sold out mate, I've gone commercial. I am no longer professing to be impartial. Journalism is not my priority anymore. But if The Roar want to pay me some pocket money each week to write columns, I'll keep doing it because I need the money.

I bet you listen to Ed Sheeran now as well.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, steavis said:

None. Hopefully they'll outgrow us and leave us behind at some point. But it was our idea to to help them commercialise. I've also put to them ideas on ticketing, membership, publishing and product licensing. Someone had to start the journey. We probably won't go on the entire trip with them. Perhaps one of the things, I can become proficient enough at to hang on a bit longer than with others.

With respect mate, Nigel Wood is supposed to be a leader. He closed down the RFL's England online store and now partners up with a pop up shop when he becomes leader of the World game. The international game has no chance with somebody so small minded at the helm.

I get where you are coming from with your endeavours, but RL never fails to underwhelm in its lack of ambition.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

With respect mate, Nigel Wood is supposed to be a leader. He closed down the RFL's England online store and now partners up with a pop up shop when he becomes leader of the World game. The international game has no chance with somebody so small minded at the helm.

I get where you are coming from with your endeavours, but RL never fails to underwhelm in its lack of ambition.

England RL have a store run by Hummel. You just want a mug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

England RL have a store run by Hummel. You just want a mug.

Wood shut down the England RL store in 2015. There have been no mugs for over a decade ?

Edited by Scubby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wood shut down the England RL store in 2015. There have been no mugs for over a decade ?

Plenty of mugs at the RFL.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All have different deals with their manufacturers but in many cases they are incentivised by their supplier. So the supplier gives them a commission when we buy stuff wholesale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave T said:

England RL have a store run by Hummel. You just want a mug.

I don't disagree with you but Phill and I have to do our best for our business. This is good for us.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

With respect mate, Nigel Wood is supposed to be a leader. He closed down the RFL's England online store and now partners up with a pop up shop when he becomes leader of the World game. The international game has no chance with somebody so small minded at the helm.

I get where you are coming from with your endeavours, but RL never fails to underwhelm in its lack of ambition.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

10% if my memory serves me right.

No that's to the RLIF, who need many more revenue streams aside from the World Cup and which I have been trying to help them get. And the percentage is more than 10 per cent ... it wouldn't be prudent for me to mention the exact figure... and also I can't remember exactly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

What we really want to know, Mr Mascord, is will there be any RLIF-approved RLWC21 England mugs?

If Hummel start making mugs, they won't need RLIF approval!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing to understand folks is that international rugby league merchandise is completely unviable commercially. The RLIF would never find an established firm willing to waste money and resources on this concept. They'd have to spend the money themselves which is better channelled towards development. We're enthusiastic amateurs who don't even pay ourselves. That's the only way this was going to happen at this stage in the game's development. And I'm keen to replicate that model in other areas that can help them commercialise their business.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Scubby said:

There have been no mugs for over a decade

Judging by some of the posts on here that can't be true!

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...